Toaster

IR floodlights VS. regular flood lights? which is better ?

Whats the better option for a home? regular security flood lights motion activated or IR lights that no one can see (just for camera clarity)

The CCTV IR flood's are insanely expensive (imo), while regular flood lights are super cheap....?

while regular flood lights are super cheap....?

Hi toaster. Regular flood is fine and good to use. there are many things you can do with flood lighting to keep running costs down. were we need flood lighting we use a flood called the ECO light

or you can replace the 300w or 500w tube like this.

r7s-j118mm-240w-linear-tp_7461264576505987393b.png

and use a low cost fitting like this.

Megaman25wattlowenergy-1.jpg

or if you can find one (as they are new to the flood market) a flood replacement LED fitting. cost a few $ a year to run.

halo2-1.jpg

I run a combo of fluorescent spots and IR (Raytec and CNB), on all the time. Depends if you think you can count on the motion detect to work reliably, in all conditions.

Yea, just cheap floodlights are great. You can get normal ones (controlled by switch), or ones with motion detectors built-in so your yard won't look like a football field!

It is true, some motion's don't have great range.

Obviously they take normal bulb sockets - traditionally you'd put 2 100W incandescent flood lights in each socket. You can save a lot of power with 100W equivalent CFL bulbs (they use ~23W!). If you use CFLs, look for "instant-on", without that they are dim when they first turn on.

Another approach I'm playing with, made this myself for ~ $25. 105 LED's, run them at a fraction of rated current for low junction temps and long life.

flood.thumb.jpg.0d078e023a233943b5a71d7ba5dc91c0.jpg

It is true, some motion's don't have great range.

you are right birdman. with the likes of lowes and home depo. they just sell cheap floods with PIR. we just buy floods and add a PIR sensor.

we buy from this company and have used them for years GJD. they have good long range PIR for around $50.

they even do a good unit that works with the mothion alarm on a DVR and is wireless to the flood.

http://gjd.co.uk/?id=cctv

my 500watt dusk to dawn rocks .. but I imagine it costs alot to run - i dont pay for it

Your camera will likely see more with IR light than a Spotlight, and definitely more than white LED.

In my opinion, there's two sides to the question. Light for the sake of camera picture, and light for the sake of security. A lighted property is absolutely a better option for crime deterent. A dark property is the first plus on the check list for residential crime. Even if you have motion security lights that blast on, the property is still dark and remains a draw for possibe crime. My feeling is that it's best to help deter crime from a distance and that equals a lighted property. Better that than drawing the criminal in with darkness, being able to get a good shot of them with great IR's as they bash their way in. Either way it could happen, but I think it's best to use exterior lighting that can be seen, rather than amazing IR lighting that can't. I've mentioned a few times here lately that many motion security fixtures have a dim-on setting to save a ton of money and still provide light until they are tripped to full power. And bonus- cameras appreciate the added exterior light too. That's not to say some support from IR's in certain spots around the property is a bad idea- it's great. But I'm a big believer in seeable light for real crime deterent. Cameras are second in line, when even lights outside don't do the trick.

Dan

Im for more light and no shrubs and you know where a good place for trees are, a park .. not a house

Double post- this place can be annoying sometimes with errors.

this time of the morning the spammers are hitting it hard

ps. how did the cleanup go from the storm?

my yard is still full of fallen trees and stuff ..

In my opinion, there's two sides to the question. Light for the sake of camera picture, and light for the sake of security. A lighted property is absolutely a better option for crime deterent. A dark property is the first plus on the check list for residential crime. Even if you have motion security lights that blast on, the property is still dark and remains a draw for possibe crime. My feeling is that it's best to help deter crime from a distance and that equals a lighted property. Better that than drawing the criminal in with darkness, being able to get a good shot of them with great IR's as they bash their way in. Either way it could happen, but I think it's best to use exterior lighting that can be seen, rather than amazing IR lighting that can't. I've mentioned a few times here lately that many motion security fixtures have a dim-on setting to save a ton of money and still provide light until they are tripped to full power. And bonus- cameras appreciate the added exterior light too. That's not to say some support from IR's in certain spots around the property is a bad idea- it's great. But I'm a big believer in seeable light for real crime deterent. Cameras are second in line, when even lights outside don't do the trick.

Dan

I like motion lights as well, for the fact that, if someone is lurking around in the dark and a bright light suddenly comes on, the most natural reaction will be to look for the source of the light... and if you have a camera mounted beside or near that light, that means looking right at the camera as well. I like the idea of two-stage fixtures, though - never seen that, but it's a great idea.

I installed a two-stage light for my cousin. Awesome! Low light (enough to see) and bright light when motion was detected. Best of both worlds. Been looking for one for my place but haven't had any luck yet.

Finally found them. Search for 'dual bright' security lights and you'll get them.

http://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-SL-5312-WH-Motion-Security/dp/B001DU21L2

Btw- the two people that reviewed this light there a couple years ago are goofs. This light will work with FLOODS that are energy efficient. Typical bulbs are 90 watts brightness, using 70 watts actual to accomplish that. And they respond to dim/full bright, which is needed for this fixture. It's been years since I bought one but I'll be getting two of these shortly. They are much better than lights off/on only.

Essential Info

Add security to an area with the Heath/Zenith SL-5718-WH DualBrite Motion Sensor Security Light. When motion is sensed, the Light Control will turn on the fixture for the amount of time you set (1, 5, or 10 minutes) then automatically turn the light off. The built in photocell keeps the light off during the day when it is not needed then allows the motion sensor to take over at night. Manual mode allows the Light Control to be turned on and off with a light switch if desired. The patented DualBrite Timer will cause the light to come on at half brightness for a selected amount of time (Off, 3 hours, 5 hours, or until dawn) after dusk. Selecting Off disables this feature. If motion is sensed while in DualBrite mode, the light will turn on to full bright for the set on-time, then return to dim mode.

Dan

Just curious though, how much extra one pays for this "patented DualBrite" function? I'd be willing to bet it consists of nothing more than a diode to feed half-wave AC past the relay...

I don't think it costs any more than a typcial fixture. The ones I linked to are 23 bucks. Any lower than that and you might as well stand there with the bulb in your mouth and do an uncle fester. In the world of motion fixtures, that's um....cheap as ****e. But as I've just learned having looked at this stuff again- dual brite is old news as far as fetching a price. Now the feature that will put you up around 30-40 bucks is creeper zone technology. Not only do you get dual brite, but you'll get sensing directly under the fixture- the creeper zone. So you can have the photocell covering wide out front, but still have coverage right under the fixture as well. That's a pretty cool thing that I would appreciate actually, especially with my two fixtures way up on my peaks. I want to cover the yard, but I also want to cover right along the house too. I've tried, and I can definitely creep tight to the house and not set off my existing fixtures. So the creeper zone- yeah, that should do it! LOL!

Dan

I would probably go as far as to wire in my own motion detector so that I could place detectors around the house, and have every light turn on at once with motion.