JackOfAllTrades

Need CCTV for Small Hotel

Need help in choosing a CCTV for a small 3-story hotel (70 rooms). I will need about 8 interior cameras and about 4 exterior cameras. Looks like "dome" cameras is where I would need to look, correct? Looking for a reliable system but not too expensive. Read good stuff about "CNB"?

I will be doing the install myself. The floors have drop ceilings so wiring should not be too hard to do.

Looking for DVR with internet access so it can be viewed off property.

Any input would be appreciated...

For the 8 indoor cameras you can either us Body cameras or dome cameras. For the 4 outside cameras i would recommend IR Dome cameras as you will need the Infra-red to see at night (start from around £80).

You also need to consider that as you have a drop down ceiling, can the cameras be reach by a person to disable? If they are reachable then I highly recommend that you get a Vandal-proof camera.

If your looking for very high quality cameras then go for cameras with Korean chipsets such as the Serage Range

You will be using 12 cameras in total, your best bet would be to purchase a 16 Channel DVR as in the future if you wish to purchase further cameras then you just need to buy the cameras. 16 Channel DVRs start from around £260 and can go up to £700 depends on the quality, hard drive size and features.

Installing yourself isn't too bad, just make sure you have the correct cabling and connectors and you should be fine.

All the Best

16 Channel DVRs start from around £260

hi. never a good idea to buy what is the heart of the system cheap. it will be poor quality and inturn give you very bad image quality.

Need help in choosing a CCTV for a small 3-story hotel (70 rooms). I will need about 8 interior cameras and about 4 exterior cameras. Looks like "dome" cameras is where I would need to look, correct? Looking for a reliable system but not too expensive. Read good stuff about "CNB"?

I'm a fan of dome cameras in most instances, and CNB does make some decent ones, and some very good ones. Look for the models with the Monalisa chipset - particularly, the VCM- and VBM-24VF are excellent vandal-resistant domes for their price range; look at the DBM-24VF for an indoor dome.

I will be doing the install myself. The floors have drop ceilings so wiring should not be too hard to do.

You'd generally think so, wouldn't you?

I'd recommend using Cat5e for the wiring, along with baluns to connect to the camera and DVR, rather than coax cable with separate power. It will be cheaper in cable costs, and just less hassle on the whole.

For the 8 indoor cameras you can either us Body cameras or dome cameras. For the 4 outside cameras i would recommend IR Dome cameras as you will need the Infra-red to see at night (start from around £80).

I would suggest not cheaping out on this. You're not protecting your home, you're protecting your business. Built-in IR in cameras, especially in cheap ones, is usually done as a work-around for a camera that has poor low-light performance. Save the hassle and just get a camera that does well in low light to begin with. Around a hotel, you're probably going to have plenty of light anyway (liability concerns - can't have it so dark that customers are tripping over things), and the Monalisa models work great with very little light.

You also need to consider that as you have a drop down ceiling, can the cameras be reach by a person to disable? If they are reachable then I highly recommend that you get a Vandal-proof camera.

If they can reach the camera, they can probably just yank down the whole tile. Consider vandal domes for these, but don't get too hung up on it if there's a good cost savings in going non-vandal.

BTW, the proper term is "vandal RESISTANT". There's no such thing as vandal PROOF.

You will be using 12 cameras in total, your best bet would be to purchase a 16 Channel DVR as in the future if you wish to purchase further cameras then you just need to buy the cameras. 16 Channel DVRs start from around £260 and can go up to £700 depends on the quality, hard drive size and features.

16 channel DVRs can go up to thousands of dollars (or quid). Given that you get what you pay for, consider what a low-grade toy you'll be getting for £260.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

I'd recommend using Cat5e for the wiring, along with baluns to connect to the camera and DVR, rather than coax cable with separate power. It will be cheaper in cable costs, and just less hassle on the whole.

So just the Cat5e wiring can supply BOTH power and video? What is a "baluns"?

What are some sites that sell the CCTV products at good prices?

Yes - Cat5 has four wire pairs: you can use one pair for video, and two or three others for power. A "balun" (short for "balanced/unbalanced") is a little device that you use at both ends of the Cat5 to properly "adapt" the wire to the video connections.

Looking for DVR with internet access so it can be viewed off property.

Any input would be appreciated...

Dahua DVR

RG59 Siamese (or fiber)

Samsung/Panasonic Domes inside

Samsung/Panasonic Domes/Box cameras in housings outside

Altronix Power supply

APC Voltage Regulator

CNB is low end, and cat5 is poor video picture

hi. with a 70 room hotel that will be long cable runs i would not think of using RG59. you are also going to be 3 phase power . using Cat5 is your best option.

i would run 2 cat5 cables to each floor .. ... this gives you either 8 cameras or 4 camera and 4 audio or 6 cameras and 2 audio.

most hotels now have what is called a dry rise. this is the area that all communication i.e phones/fire alarms pass though the hotel. i know with the likes of holiday inn and hiltons they also require that you follow that route.

we use the CNB DBM-20VD/DBM-21VD for hall ways in hotels. which are well priced with 1 video balun on each floor.

4CHPassiveUTPVideoBalunYJS2044TR4-1.jpg

hi. with a 70 room hotel that will be long cable runs i would not think of using RG59. you are also going to be 3 phase power . using Cat5 is your best option.

i would run 2 cat5 cables to each floor .. ...

we use the CNB DBM-20VD/DBM-21VD for hall ways in hotels. which are well priced with 1 video balun on each floor.

So does Cat5 give POOR video quality as mentioned previously here?

No, using cat5+baluns gives perfect quality when installed properly (which is easy). It actually works at farther distances than coax. It is easier to install, and cheaper.

CNB is certainly not low-end stuff... Maybe in terms of price only. I'm sure Samsung makes good cameras.

When the ceiling is a drop-ceiling with tiles, I'd forget about using vandal-resistant domes. Kinda pointless. Save a bunch of money and go with indoor domes (I've used CNB's DBM-24VF).

DON'T skimp on the recorder!! Get a nice 16-ch unit that can do at least 7.5FPS per channel at full D1...

No, using cat5+baluns gives perfect quality when installed properly (which is easy). It actually works at farther distances than coax. It is easier to install, and cheaper.

CNB is certainly not low-end stuff... Maybe in terms of price only. I'm sure Samsung makes good cameras.

When the ceiling is a drop-ceiling with tiles, I'd forget about using vandal-resistant domes. Kinda pointless. Save a bunch of money and go with indoor domes (I've used CNB's DBM-24VF).

DON'T skimp on the recorder!! Get a nice 16-ch unit that can do at least 7.5FPS per channel at full D1...

If I understand this correctly, you would run cat5 from the baluns to each of the cameras, and then from the baluns to the DVR you would run coax?

Does each floor require its own balun?

If I understand this correctly, you would run cat5 from the baluns to each of the cameras, and then from the baluns to the DVR you would run coax?

That depends on the balun and its specific design. Think of a balun as a "twisted pair to BNC adapter" - there are different styles that can be connected in different ways.

For example, this is this is the most common style (two terminals on one side, male BNC on the other side) that you can connect directly to a camera and DVR:

blnmtl2-1.jpg

For example, here's one way you could do this, with four cameras on one floor:

- Pull a Cat5 run from the phone closet on that floor, to each of your camera locations.

- Use one of the above baluns on the camera, with one pair of the Cat5 (I normally use the blue pair).

- Split out two pairs of wire for power (I normally use orange and green)

- Put the power supply(ies) for your cameras in that phone closet as well

- Connect the power pairs for each camera to the power supply(ies)

- Pull one Cat5 run from that phone closet to your DVR location

- Connect each pair of that run to the video (blue) pair of each camera run

- At the DVR end, just put one of each of the above baluns on each pair, and connect directly to the DVR.

Now that's just one option... again, there are lots of others, depending on the designs used. Here's a unit I've recently discovered: http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev04p-vps.htm The nice thing with this unit is that it has baluns and power supply in one, so you don't need a separate power supply for the cameras.

With this, you'd simply terminate each Cat5e run with an RJ45 plug, and plug it into the appropriate channel. The "4 in 1" port would be for your run down to the DVR. Then at the camera, you'd use one of these: http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev01p-vp-t.htm

Finally, at the DVR end, you'd use one of these: http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev04p.htm - along with a set of short Cat5e patch cords to connect to the DVR.

You could also go with eight-channel versions of the above units, for more than four cameras, although you'd then need two Cat5e runs between floors (four cameras per run).

There are quad units out there that have short male-BNC tails as well, so you don't need separate patch cables.

Now that's just one option... again, there are lots of others, depending on the designs used. Here's a unit I've recently discovered: http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev04p-vps.htm The nice thing with this unit is that it has baluns and power supply in one, so you don't need a separate power supply for the cameras.

With this, you'd simply terminate each Cat5e run with an RJ45 plug, and plug it into the appropriate channel. The "4 in 1" port would be for your run down to the DVR. Then at the camera, you'd use one of these: http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev01p-vp-t.htm

Finally, at the DVR end, you'd use one of these: http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev04p.htm - along with a set of short Cat5e patch cords to connect to the DVR.

You could also go with eight-channel versions of the above units, for more than four cameras, although you'd then need two Cat5e runs between floors (four cameras per run).

There are quad units out there that have short male-BNC tails as well, so you don't need separate patch cables.

Let me go over this to make sure I am getting this right.

From the beginning at the DVR location, I have my DVR which has the RJ45 cables which I would run to each floor. At each floor I would use the "4 in 1" port which then adds PoE. I then run a Cat5e line from the "4 in 1" port to each camera on that floor. At each camera location I would use the adapter which converts the Cat5e PoE into a separate power and video connection.

Is that right?

I am confused why I would have to use, "http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev04p.htm - along with a set of short Cat5e patch cords to connect to the DVR." Why would I have to use that if the RJ45 cable is going from the back of the DVR to the "4 in 1" port box on the floors?

Can any flat panel monitor be used to view the surveillance cameras or do you have to buy the ones they sell with the CCTV kits?

Does the DVR allow for remote internet access/viewing? Also can you take the DVR footage and burn it to a CD-ROM or Flash Drive?

I think you've got it a little backward . I'm on my phone right now, but when I'm home later, I'll try to do up a diagram.

Let me go over this to make sure I am getting this right.

From the beginning at the DVR location, I have my DVR which has the RJ45 cables which I would run to each floor. At each floor I would use the "4 in 1" port which then adds PoE. I then run a Cat5e line from the "4 in 1" port to each camera on that floor. At each camera location I would use the adapter which converts the Cat5e PoE into a separate power and video connection.

Is that right?

I am confused why I would have to use, "http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev04p.htm - along with a set of short Cat5e patch cords to connect to the DVR." Why would I have to use that if the RJ45 cable is going from the back of the DVR to the "4 in 1" port box on the floors?

DBM-20VD has a varifocal lens from 4-9mm, LBM-20S is fixed at 3.8mm. Other than that the specs seem very similar. IR could be an advantage.

I'd say your prices are off some. I'm seeing the two as only ~$20 apart. Are you comparing prices within one site?

The CNB LBM-20S are about 1/2 the price of the CNB DBM-20VD. They both seem like great cameras, why the double price for the DBM-20VD?

one is fixed lens other is varifocal.

the DBM is not much more in price.

they are for totally different apps, DBM is for color only video, such as inside a store.

DBM-20VD has a varifocal lens from 4-9mm, LBM-20S is fixed at 3.8mm. Other than that the specs seem very similar. IR could be an advantage.

I'd say your prices are off some. I'm seeing the two as only ~$20 apart. Are you comparing prices within one site?

Is IR needed in an interior hallway? The hallways are about medium brightness at night.

What is a varifocal lens?

The site I was looking at had them at an $70 difference.

The one version was:

CNB DBM-24VF COLOR DOME CAMERA WITH 600 TVL AND A 2.8-10.5mm VARIFOCAL LENS

The other version was:

CNB DFL-20S COLOR DOME CAMERA WITH 600 TVL

The following one had a $35 price difference vs. DMB-24V:

CNB, LBM-20S, Monalisa Indoor IR Dome (100mm) - 600TVL, 3-AXIS, 3.8MM Fixed Lens, 0.00LUX, 28 LEDs

I think you've got it a little backward . I'm on my phone right now, but when I'm home later, I'll try to do up a diagram.

OK, I think I got it figure out:

At the camera I would use this:

http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev01p-vp-t.htm

Then I would run the Cat5e down to the main office area where the DVR would be located, I would connect the Cat5e cable to this:

http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev16p-vps.htm

Then I would run a short RG cable from the VPS to the DVR.

This would give me video and power to the cameras, all while using Cat5e as the main wire pull.

Am I correct?

Do you recommend the CNB exterior domed camera for outdoor use?

I found this one:

CNB, VCM-24VFH, Monalisa Outdoor Dome (100mm) - 600TVL, 2.8~10.5MM Vari-Focal, True Day & Night (ICR)

OK, I think I got it figure out:

At the camera I would use this:

http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev01p-vp-t.htm

Then I would run the Cat5e down to the main office area where the DVR would be located, I would connect the Cat5e cable to this:

http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev16p-vps.htm

Then I would run a short RG cable from the VPS to the DVR.

This would give me video and power to the cameras, all while using Cat5e as the main wire pull.

Am I correct?

That's the basic setup, yup! One cable direct to each camera.

What these units also do, is combine each set of four channel runs, into one of the "4 in 1" jacks, so if, for example, you have four cameras a long way from the office, you can put the VPS in the remote location, plug all the cameras into it, then use a single run to get four cameras back to the office.

But don't let that confuse you - what you've outlined above is exactly the basic setup you'd use.

Do you recommend the CNB exterior domed camera for outdoor use?

I found this one:

CNB, VCM-24VFH, Monalisa Outdoor Dome (100mm) - 600TVL, 2.8~10.5MM Vari-Focal, True Day & Night (ICR)

We use the VCM-24VF (no H - don't need heaters for most of our jobs) almost exclusively. They're a great all-around camera with excellent low-light capabilities, and the surface/flush mount options make them very versatile. Plus, they look good in different colors

Here's one we painted black and flush mounted in a brick wall (we put a gang box on the back wall and the bricklayers worked around it):

IMAG0209-1.jpg

Here's one that we sandblasted down to the bare aluminum, then added a clear coat, and mounted in a "cemetitious" ceiling panel (the boarders cut the hole too big - we fixed it later with a trim plate):

IMAG0126-1.jpg

Here's one that we painted black, sitting on its back-box (we found that sandblasting the stock white powdercoat off first made the new paint a lot more durable):

IMAG0235-1.jpg

(edit: Oops, I guess on second look, that's just a shadow, not the back-box...)

That's the basic setup, yup! One cable direct to each camera.

What these units also do, is combine each set of four channel runs, into one of the "4 in 1" jacks, so if, for example, you have four cameras a long way from the office, you can put the VPS in the remote location, plug all the cameras into it, then use a single run to get four cameras back to the office.

They sell to versions of the VPS. This is about $370:

[edit by mod-store link removed]

This VPS is about $170:

[edit by mod-store link removed]

Quite the difference in price. Would the less expensive one be OK? Do you see a difference in the quality?

The cctvdirectbuy link there is the same unit as the easterncctv ones I bought, except they were cheaper than that.

The other one, I don't see a substantial difference except that it's 24VDC rather than 12VDC power to the cameras (not a problem with the CNBs, will be an issue with some cheaper 12V-only cameras), and BNCs are on the opposite side from the RJ45s.

The cheaper one doesn't state what the total power output is, it's probably less, but whether that's important depends on your cameras' power demands.