JackOfAllTrades

Need CCTV for Small Hotel

The cctvdirectbuy link there is the same unit as the easterncctv ones I bought, except they were cheaper than that.

The other one, I don't see a substantial difference except that it's 24VDC rather than 12VDC power to the cameras (not a problem with the CNBs, will be an issue with some cheaper 12V-only cameras), and BNCs are on the opposite side from the RJ45s.

The cheaper one doesn't state what the total power output is, it's probably less, but whether that's important depends on your cameras' power demands.

I will be using CBN cameras, so I should be OK with 12V, correct?

Do you think I should go with the less expensive one for me setup?

Do you think I should go with the less expensive one for me setup?

less expensive CNB for hallways is ok. but spend the money on the likes of reception area and bar area. and its also good to have a quality camera on Goods in door way. and if you have walk in freezers cover that area as well.

one thing to look at in doing hotels is to keep the cameras as disgreet as possable. dont install a black camera on a white tile or roof

I think he was referring to the less expensive of the two balun/power boxes we were talking about But yes, the less expensive one will be fine - I just used two of them on a job and they work perfectly. And yes, as long as you're using the dual-voltage CNBs, they'll be fine with that.

one thing to look at in doing hotels is to keep the cameras as disgreet as possable. dont install a black camera on a white tile or roof

More importantly, ask the customer whether they want discreet, visible-but-not-gaudy, or downright-in-your-face. Some want the visual deterrent. Some are concerned about cameras fitting in with decor. One customer, we've been doing mostly black cameras in public areas regardless of the wall/ceiling colors, because all the other fixtures (speakers, lights, etc.) are black.

we use the CNB DBM-20VD/DBM-21VD for hall ways in hotels. which are well priced with 1 video balun on each floor.

Have you ever used the CNB DBM-24VF?

Do you think IR is needed for interior hallways of a hotel?

I think he was referring to the less expensive of the two balun/power boxes we were talking about But yes, the less expensive one will be fine - I just used two of them on a job and they work perfectly. And yes, as long as you're using the dual-voltage CNBs, they'll be fine with that.

Yes, that was correct. I will get one of these for each camera outputs:

ev01pvpt-1.jpg

Do you recommend going with Cat5e or Cat6 for the power/video pull?

we use the CNB DBM-20VD/DBM-21VD for hall ways in hotels. which are well priced with 1 video balun on each floor.

hi. for your main areas the DBM-24vf is a good camera to use. Hall ways no need for VF as they are narrow then you only need the DFL-20S/DFL-21S.

i would not use IR cameras in hall ways or in the hotel rooms locations. you only need to cover exits.

too many cameras in parts of a hotel can loose you room sales. reception / bar / fire escapes and on each landing to the rooms is all you need

hi. for your main areas the DBM-24vf is a good camera to use. Hall ways no need for VF as they are narrow then you only need the DFL-20S/DFL-21S.

Tom what about the picture issues of the Monalisas when viewing them in 9 way+ in software?

Tom what about the picture issues of the Monalisas when viewing them in 9 way+ in software?

we have not had a problem with them on avers in 4-8-16 or 32. but i do remember you saying you had a problem with the dahua.

if a dahua is being used then i would use these cameras. much cheaper anyway and will save money as you dont need to buy baluns

http://www.adata.co.uk/Catalogue/Cameras/Vandal-Domes/High-Range/M2-DSP-620TVL-Daiwon-Lens-28-11-No-IR-VAN-2602VFHWH-SF

The DBM-24VF is the same camera as the VCM/VBM-24VF, just in a non-vandal-resistant plastic housing. It should work fine.

IR should NOT be needed in a hotel's public areas - keep in mind these areas will need to be well-lit 24/7 anyway.

Do you think getting the CNB DBM-20VDL-W , which has a vari-focal lens is worth the extra $40 per camera or is vari-focal not needed in the hallways?

Will the Qvis HD Pro-Lite DVR work well with the CNB cameras?

Depends on the lens it does come with. The DFL-20S includes a 3.8mm lens, which may or may not be wide enough for your needs. The DBM-20VDL has a 3.8-9.5mm lens, which will let you zoom in tighter but no wider.

Depends on the lens it does come with. The DFL-20S includes a 3.8mm lens, which may or may not be wide enough for your needs. The DBM-20VDL has a 3.8-9.5mm lens, which will let you zoom in tighter but no wider.

You recommended the VCM-24VF for outdoor use, does it have IR? From the specs I can't find IR as a listed option.

we have not had a problem with them on avers in 4-8-16 or 32. but i do remember you saying you had a problem with the dahua.

if a dahua is being used then i would use these cameras. much cheaper anyway and will save money as you dont need to buy baluns

http://www.adata.co.uk/Catalogue/Cameras/Vandal-Domes/High-Range/M2-DSP-620TVL-Daiwon-Lens-28-11-No-IR-VAN-2602VFHWH-SF

Yep on the Dahua - but only remotely.

Strange really. 8 and 16 camera jobs it wouldnt even matter for, but I have some that need more now and i dont know what size monitor they may end up watching them over the network on.

I looked at Qvis but cant see if they have a TDN, that was my only issue with them - for outdoors at least. Ill take a look though, thing is its mostly asphalt in a couple jobs Im quoting so no green trees and shrubs, so may not matter.

In regards to the Cat5e cables. I found these:

Shielded Cat5E 350MHz Molded Patch Cable

Certification: TIA/EIA

T568B (AT&T 258A) Wired

STP Shielded Twist Pair

CM Type PVC Jacket

26AWG 4pair Stranded Copper Wire

50 Micron Gold Plated RJ45 Plug

Will these work good for the video & power pull?

Is it a good idea to get "shielded" cables?

PS - I am down to the final list and will post my final ordering list in a day or two of what I am getting to do this hotel install.

THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONE'S HELP! You guys have been a huge help!

In regards to the Cat5e cables. I found these:

Shielded Cat5E 350MHz Molded Patch Cable

Certification: TIA/EIA

T568B (AT&T 258A) Wired

STP Shielded Twist Pair

CM Type PVC Jacket

26AWG 4pair Stranded Copper Wire

50 Micron Gold Plated RJ45 Plug

Will these work good for the video & power pull?

Is it a good idea to get "shielded" cables?

STP is overkill unless you're dealing with REALLY noisy environments. It also tends to cost up to 3x as much as unshielded (you're probably paying a buttload extra for those "gold plated" plugs, too).

STP is overkill unless you're dealing with REALLY noisy environments. It also tends to cost up to 3x as much as unshielded (you're probably paying a buttload extra for those "gold plated" plugs, too).

I will be pulling the cable through a lot of florescent light areas and ceiling area A/C systems. For 100 feet of Cat5e with RJ45 plugs on each end, they charge $22.

Here's one we painted black and flush mounted in a brick wall (we put a gang box on the back wall and the bricklayers worked around it):

How do you paint them? Do you remove all the 'guts' then spray them?

We remove the dome portion (disconnect the rubber keeper), then remove the plastic bubble, and paint the dome ring - it works very well on an old LP turntable with a couple of closely-placed halogen work lights to speed the drying The main body of the camera generally remains unpainted, so that thin strip stays white (we call it a "racing stripe" ), although we have disassembled the camera to pain that portion as well, on one or two occasions where it's been requested.

How do you paint them? Do you remove all the 'guts' then spray them?

I painted one also, I took everything out, covered the inside, sanded and sprayed.

I also cut, modded, and painted the wall mount to fit on a pole.

24vfpainted1.jpg.ed1cb94d369edf0fcbd983f021ad6239.jpg

24vfpainted2.jpg.dd89253a2f24f01871d4b7411138ab8a.jpg

24vfpainted3.jpg.358e426ea271dffb733665378d6eee10.jpg

24vfpainted4.jpg.d3dcc7e57987c09341ae56c885b65602.jpg

I echo the use of domes with CAT5 and passive baluns, ( I use pigtail baluns because of the space of inputs at the DVR. You can use the CAT5 thus, a single pair for video signal and the remaining three pairs for DC Power. I take the remaining three pairs and split one pair and add to the others for power. I would then use a boxed Power distribution unit close to the DVR. One word of advice, terminate your CAT5 ends with chord end ferrules crimped on and your 'screw-down' connections will be more reliable. Just one word of caution when using CAT5, be careful NOT to make changes of direction too tight or you can affect the integrity of your cable. CAT5 can be quite brittle. The other thing is get some advice about which baluns you require from your supplier. Bear in mind that runs over 300m - 400m may require an active balun (powered)

Both CNB and Dahua are good brands by all accounts. Try to buy domes with varifocal lenses to give you some flexibility in placement. Steer clear of KITS!

Hello there,

For 8 CCTV system... I would say to buy vandalproof cameras, a minimum of 600TVL and IR on all of them will be great.

You can find some great prices on [mod edit: store link removed]

An 8 ch DVR with 1TB is less then £200 and good cameras around £70-£80.

I would recommend cameras with 2.8-11mm Lens, so you can adjust them.

On the whose installation you can use video baluns, in that case you can run 1 cat 5 up to 100m. There are around £10/ pair.

OK, here is the final list of what I am going to order. Any last minute advice or input would be appreciated. I will probably order up the stuff next week:

Main Hotel Areas:

CNB DBM-24VF (3 total)

Hotel Hallways:

CNB DFL-20S CNB (6 total)

Exterior Cameras:

CNB LDM-20S OUTDOOR IR DOME (3 total)

Qvis Apollo HD PRO-LITE 16 Channel Security DVR D1 Resolution 2 TB Hard Drive

EV16P-VPS – 16 Channel passive balun receiver & power supply hub

Video Balun EV01P-VP-T: Cat 5e connection (12 total)

ASUS VE228H 21.5-Inch Wide (16:9) 5ms Response Time LED Monitor

Hi. i would hold off on ordering the EV16P-VPS – 16 Channel passive balun receiver & power supply hub and just use baluns at each end

Main Hotel Areas:

CNB DBM-24VF (3 total)

DBM24VF-1.jpg

• Ultra High Resolution : 600 TV Lines (BW 650TV Lines)

• True Day/Night

• Digital Noise Reduction (DNR)

• Auto White Balance

• AGC, SBLC, Flickerless

• 1/3" IT CCD

• 2.8-10.5mm auto iris lens

• Min. Illumination : 0.005Lux

• 3-Axis Movement for Free Lens Rotation

• Dual Voltage 24VAC/12VDC

Hotel Hallways:

CNB DFL-20S CNB (6 total)

DFL20S-1.jpg

CNB DFL-20S Main Features:

• Ultra High Resolution : 600 TV Lines (BW 650TV Lines)

• Auto White Balance

• AGC, SBLC, Flickerless

• 1/3" IT CCD

• Fixed Lens(f=3.8mm)

• Min. Illumination : 0.05Lux

• 3-Axis Movement for Free Lens Rotation

• 12VDC

Exterior Cameras:

CNB LDM-20S OUTDOOR IR DOME (3 total)

this is not an external camera DID you mean the CNB LDM20VF ???

Hi. i would hold off on ordering the EV16P-VPS – 16 Channel passive balun receiver & power supply hub and just use baluns at each end

Any particular thinking behind that? Having just used two of these on a site, I can say it's way cleaner and easier than having to extend all those runs from baluns to power can, and really, no more expensive overall than separate baluns + power can.