JackOfAllTrades

Need CCTV for Small Hotel

Hi. i would hold off on ordering the EV16P-VPS – 16 Channel passive balun receiver & power supply hub and just use baluns at each end

this is not an external camera DID you mean the CNB LDM20VF ???

The EV167p-VPS is the cleanest & fastest hook-up for me, a novice. It's basically plug & play.

The CNB LDM-20S is an outdoor IR camera. Per the site:

"The LDM-20S is a CNB Monalisa IR dome camera that is specially designed to be used for outdoor surveillance and security. The LDM-20S features 600TV lines of high resolution, a 1/3� IT CCD image sensor, 3.8mm built in fixed lens, plus intelligent IR technology. This outdoor dome camera also comes with DNR, TDN, SBLC, AGC, AWB, OSD and Flickerless, as well as an inbuilt IR LED with a maximum sensitivity ratio of 0.00lux. The LDM-20S is a dual flush/surface mount type which comes with a 92m dome size and 3 axis movement; it also comes complete with motion detection, mirror function, privacy zone and an RS-485 interface. It is easy to use, install and setup for optimal outdoor surveillance and security."

The EV167p-VPS is the cleanest & fastest hook-up for me, a novice. It's basically plug & play.

The CNB LDM-20S is an outdoor IR camera. Per the site:

As with ALL vandal domes just dont put them in direct rain, side of building is normally fine.

Also its not a TDN dome least the one I used was not, 3.8mm fixed lens, no ICR.

You want the varifocal model for the TDN.

Dont always believe what you read online

I FINALLY got the green light to go ahead with this install. Need to go over a few things before I make the final purchase:

CCTV Dome Cameras, which would work better for long & narrow hallways (120 feet long)?

A -CNB DBM-24VF COLOR DOME CAMERA WITH 600 TVL AND A 2.8-10.5mm VARIFOCAL LENS

B - CNB DFL-20S CNB Camera DFL-20S Monalisa Indoor Security Camera Dome (85mm) - 600TVL 3-Axis, 3.8mm Fixed Lens, 0.05LUX -

C- CNB DBM-20VDL-W MonaLisa Ultra High Resolution Dome Camera, 600TVL, 3.8~9.5mm, White

CCTV Exterior Mounted Cameras, which would work better for a somewhat dark parking lot, over 100 feet of viewing coverage? ( these cameras will be getting hit by intense Southwest Sun)

A - CNB VCM-24VF MONALISA OUTDOOR DOME (100 MM) - 600 TVL, 2.8~10.5 MM VARI-FOCAL LENS, TRUE DAY & NIGHT (ICR) -

B - CNB LDM-20S MONALISA OUTDOOR IR DOME (100mm) 600TVL 3-AXIS, 3.8MM FIXED LENS, 0.00LUX(LED IR On) 25 LEDs, UPTO 45FT, DC12V –

For the 8 indoor cameras you can either us Body cameras or dome cameras. For the 4 outside cameras i would recommend IR Dome cameras as you will need the Infra-red to see at night (start from around £80).

You also need to consider that as you have a drop down ceiling, can the cameras be reach by a person to disable? If they are reachable then I highly recommend that you get a Vandal-proof camera.

If your looking for very high quality cameras then go for cameras with Korean chipsets such as the Serage Range

You will be using 12 cameras in total, your best bet would be to purchase a 16 Channel DVR as in the future if you wish to purchase further cameras then you just need to buy the cameras. 16 Channel DVRs start from around £260 and can go up to £700 depends on the quality, hard drive size and features.

Installing yourself isn't too bad, just make sure you have the correct cabling and connectors and you should be fine.

All the Best

Good advice, dome cameras are more discrete in hotels but there will be times where a body camera overrides the look of the camera in favour of function. I make a point to have vandal resistant domes in all public spaces.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

I'd recommend using Cat5e for the wiring, along with baluns to connect to the camera and DVR, rather than coax cable with separate power. It will be cheaper in cable costs, and just less hassle on the whole.

So just the Cat5e wiring can supply BOTH power and video? What is a "baluns"?

What are some sites that sell the CCTV products at good prices?

heres my advice on the sytstem.

dvr

go for dedicated micros as they have been around a long time, if you want me to get hold of a good unit 16 channel with cdrw that is refurbed with new hdd fans etc then pm me i can get them at a lot lower than a brand new unit but with new insdides, dm equipment is things the police and councils would use.

cameras

id go for genie 5351 cameras domes that are vandal proof. these are 12 v dc units and work to excellent quality, they start around £150 from memory just look for that model number on the internet.http://www.cctvshopper.co.uk/viewproduct.asp?pid=6384

cabling,

id stick with the rg59 option, although it doesnt easily allow ip use i think personal experience shows the coax version is a better system, for most cctv, me personally i prefer working with coax as there is no baluns needed for each camera and looks i think a tidier install.

power if you have cameras local to each other try and group them so that you could run some locally to the cameras from the power supply on floor 1, and locally to psu on floor 2 and then any remander on floor 3, dont run all you power to a central location unless this location is very short distance wise. and run it in either 2 core flat flex or alarm cable and tripple the pairs to each camera, this reduces the chances of power losses on the camera end. if you have a psu near to the outdoor cameras, put a dedicated circuit in for the cctv power supplied as this will stop any accidental outage to the cctv if maintenance is done to the sockets/lights/fire/alarm syems, dont be tempted to run it all from a plug top as this will undoubtedly get unplugged and forgotten about unless hidden in the roof void.

the outdoor cameras,

this type of camera dome has something called mechananical ir cut filter, this means that the ir filter is removed when the camera changes to b/w night time mode, it means if you put ir lamps by the side to illuminate the area under cctv view the area would look lit through the infrared light seen by the camera but not human eyes. its a way of allowing the camera to become sensitive to ir light. http://www.cctvshopper.co.uk/viewproduct.asp?pid=6436

ir lighting

IR Lighting is not visble to the human/naked eye, it is what some people call covert light, which means that cmaera ir capable can see the light emitted but the naked eye cannot sense the emitted light due to the fact ir is outside of our normal light spectrum vision.

http://www.cctvshopper.co.uk/viewproduct.asp?pid=6397

PTZs cameras / Speed domes

outside of properties can be viewed with speed domes or ptz domes/cameras, which allows the cctv user to view any area with in the range of the camera but also means less cameras outside may not be needed, especially if pir sensors where used with the ptz to turn it to the pir protected area, the other advantage of ptzs over statics is they can be focussed in on the area of interest in more details to some extent than what a static can be and gives greater detail to the picture quality.

http://www.cctvshopper.co.uk/viewproduct.asp?pid=6400

the companies ive posted the info on under no circumstances is a recommendation to use they are purley for info purposes i have never used this company in the past and work for myself so not anything to do with that company, they were one of the first on the google list.

lastly

id stick with the rg59 option, although it doesnt easily allow ip use i think personal experience shows the coax version is a better system, for most cctv, me personally i prefer working with coax as there is no baluns needed for each camera and looks i think a tidier install.

i think for large installs like hotels cat 5 . as for the genie cameras. by the time the op as ordered them from the uk they will cost him $280 each. the CNB is a much better camera and cheaper.

i think for large installs like hotels cat 5 . as for the genie cameras. by the time the op as ordered them from the uk they will cost him $280 each. the CNB is a much better camera and cheaper.

Any recommendations for the CNB dealer here in the USA?

Any recommendations for the CNB dealer here in the USA?

hi. unlike here in the uk we only have 1 or 2 US has lots. but buy from a good CNB distributor. i would drop soundy a pm he will know which are good.

Hey JackOfAllTrades.. for a set up like yours... I don't think you need any extra equipment. A system that can support CAT5e cables should be able to run your cables up to 600ft. I hear great things about CNB as well, but CNB runs its cameras via BNC, which means you'll have to run extra cables for power supply. If you plan on recording audio, you'll also have to run a third set of cables.

I have some experience with Samsung Security systems. They sell them at Sam's club or Costco. You can get a 16 channel system (SDE-5001). It's a Do-It-Yourself kit, comes with 8 cameras. 4 dome and 4 bullet. It runs all of its cameras through 1 cable (Cat5e). It comes with 60ft of cables, but I think you'll be able to make or buy your own Cat5e cables. I'll warn you, Samsung's tech guys will tell you that you might burn out your cameras...but they could be just saying that to cover themselves legally.

Anyway, my recommendation is Samsung's SDE-5001. It's about $1000 for the system and 8 cameras. if you need 12 total cameras, it'll probably run you about $1600. If you're going to run your own cables, Sam's or Costco won't do it...but i think you can find some online company who'll work with you... they'll probably give you credit for not taking the cables.

It has weatherproof cameras, it's at a decent price, and it's a Samsung. Remote viewing via smartphone and on your comp. I don't know, from what you mentioned, this seems like a good fit.

Check it out! Good luck

but CNB runs its cameras via BNC, which means you'll have to run extra cables for power supply. If you plan on recording audio, you'll also have to run a third set of cables.

hi. not the case you can just run cat5.

Samsung Security systems. They sell them at Sam's club or Costco.

plug and play RJ system are never good.

Hey JackOfAllTrades.. for a set up like yours... I don't think you need any extra equipment. A system that can support CAT5e cables should be able to run your cables up to 600ft. I hear great things about CNB as well, but CNB runs its cameras via BNC, which means you'll have to run extra cables for power supply. If you plan on recording audio, you'll also have to run a third set of cables.

Incorrect. As tom notes, you can run power, video, AND audio over a single Cat5e. Whether the camera has BNC or RCA out, you'll still need a video balun to run the signal over UTP.

and it's a Samsung

GE, Pelco, Bosch (Extreme), all have their budget line of cameras, but that doesnt mean those come anywhere close to their regular cameras. Most cases its the same chinese OEM cameras one can buy at 1/4 the price from a smaller brand.

and it's a Samsung

GE, Pelco, Bosch (Extreme), all have their budget line of cameras, but that doesnt mean those come anywhere close to their regular cameras. Most cases its the same chinese OEM cameras one can buy at 1/4 the price from a smaller brand.

Thats a good point