vmgtlexi

Can't see facial details

Even if I move this Samsung to the very outer edge of the porch looking out, it is still going to be blinded by the sunlight. This camera just SUCKS!

Should be no backlight issue then.

Was the Nuvico this wide an angle though?

Image will get darker as you zoom the lens in more, due to the f stop getting higher and less light is let into the camera.

Dont move it permanently to begin with, get a piece of coax and extend it to the area to test it first.

I agree. But, they have to turn around to go back off the porch & down the steps. Then, they could smile for the camera they noticed too late.

I think the far end of the porch would be a mistake. You have only a quick shot of someone coming up those steps and it looks like it'll only be a profile. And you'll have to be lucky to get that as I would guess most people walk on an angle of sorts heading up those stairs while looking towards the door. The rest of that whole shot is shooting people in the back.

I agree. But, they have to turn around to go back off the porch & down the steps. Then, they could smile for the camera they noticed too late.

I think the far end of the porch would be a mistake. You have only a quick shot of someone coming up those steps and it looks like it'll only be a profile. And you'll have to be lucky to get that as I would guess most people walk on an angle of sorts heading up those stairs while looking towards the door. The rest of that whole shot is shooting people in the back.

When they're running off the porch with your jewlery in their pocket, who's too late then? I think it's better to get them good while they're creeping, than before they're leaping. The opposite side could be a good shot, but I wouldn't count on it too heavily. I actually think you have the camera in the perfect spot as is, but maybe the wrong camera.

Dan

I moved the camera. Now, I have eliminated the over exposed front yard.

Next, I am going to add a separate camera for the yard/driveway. I tested this camera away from the porch and looking at the yard/driveway. It handles the yard great when it is not being "confused" by the darker porch.

So, that will be the solution: 1) this camera watching the porch unhindered by the bright sun out in the yard and 2) a new camera to handle the driveway/yard placed away from the dark porch.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me think & work through this. Much appreciated.

1238679265_newlocation.jpg.3ed04ccfbc6d969a93f73a8b9377840e.jpg

Well that cured that ill. I still think it's too much of a shot in the back, but it cured the confusion. May that picture remain as nice looking and boring as can be for a lifetime. Every day that passes uneventful in a bad way on camera is a very good day.

Dan

I hear ya! If past experience is any guide, one burglar who we caught on camera a few years ago was caught with a camera that was also pointed at a door (ie, at his back). Luckily, he turned around, tried opening other doors at other angles, etc.! So, we got enough "face time" and good enough detail of his clothing for a conviction.

Anyway, I have other "tricks" up my sleeve out in the yard. Let's just say that I know if someone is prowling around well before they even reach the doors/windows. Forewarned is forearmed!

Yeah, it's great that you have that shot covering the windows too. I have a similar shot covering my back door and windows too. In fact, even my front door swipes down the side to cover windows. I like that full coverage from one camera. And really, it only takes one excellent frame for ID- not the whole video.