ack1234

help please

hi people new to all this and need help.

got 3 cameras, monitor and time lapse vcr i can put anycamera in vcr and get a good picture so i then bought a 8 channel switcher.

when i connect cameras into switcher (ive only connected 2)im getting both pictures at once.behind each other it only seems to work if i only put one camera on??thanks ..

thanks for your reply

but still dont get this ??

ive connected 2 cameras to the switcher eg 1 and 2,

then connected switcher out to video in

then connected video out to monitor.the image is coming through but together eg if i press 1 on switcher get both cameras and if i press 2 get same.if i need a multiplex with the vcr is there anyway i can use the switcher to change cameras with just the monitor thanks.

Hi a switcher is built into a multiplexer so you would not need the one you have.

with a switcher it will only show 1 camera at a time either via switch or time delay.

with a multiplexer it gives you the camera layout. 1 - 4 -8 like a quad

you can buy a multiplexer with remote control. you can even buy with network so as you can view your cameras online

sorry think i might not be explaining myself

i need to get the 8 channel switcher iv got working

which ever channel i connect the cameras to eg 1 and 2 both cameras come through at the same time like a shadow behind each other.i cannot get the images to come through as camera 1 and camera 2 alternatly??

Hi ack1234, you've got to have patience - some of these folks don't do weekends, others are on different time zones. Also some can't or won't help, because they can't or won't help

You should also say what make and model of switcher or mux you have, so we can check it's features, and admire or ridicule as appropriate.

My guess is that you already have a mux. To get it to work, you need to connect the video out of the VCR into the VCR input at the back of the mux. There should be a BNC for this labelled "VCR in" or "time-lapse in" or something. Don't connect it to one of the eight camera inputs. Connect your monitor to the "spot output" or "monitor output". There might be a switch to select either live or recorded video. This should work, at least it's how my crusty 9 channel Samsung is supposed to behave.

As I understand it, the mux sends each of the 8 camera images to the VCR one after the other, each tagged with a code to identify which image belongs to which camera. The VCR must be played back through the mux, so the code can be read and the images sorted into their correct order. This allows you to select one of the images, or a group of them for display.

If you hook the monitor straight to the VCR, the monitor displays all of the images at once, which explains the problem with your two cameras.

A switcher just switches between all cameras after a time delay. For the swicher, you'd connect the monitor to the VCR without a problem. It doesn't sound like you have one of these.

a switcher is to just view one camera at a time.

You need a multiplexer, although that is so 8 years ago.

8 channel DVRs are VERY cheap now.

thanks for your reply

but still dont get this ??

ive connected 2 cameras to the switcher eg 1 and 2,

then connected switcher out to video in

then connected video out to monitor.the image is coming through but together eg if i press 1 on switcher get both cameras and if i press 2 get same.if i need a multiplex with the vcr is there anyway i can use the switcher to change cameras with just the monitor thanks.

You lost me here, how is it all connected?

Cameras into switcher, then switcher out to what video in?

What type of VCR?

What type of switcher, or is it a multiplexer?

If its a multiplexer, use the video out from the multiplexer to the monitor.

Use the VCR out to the VCR, but it has to be a CCTV VCR that can read the mux encoded video.

Then to playback connect VCR's video out to the mux VCR in.

Mux is just switching each channel very fast.

So all this depends if your VCR can even read the encoded mux output.

Thats why we used well known muxes back in the day, so the VCRs supported them.

otherwise if its just a switcher, connect the switcher monitor out (or spot monitor out) to the monitor. and if its a basic VCR (not time lapse CCTV VCR) then use that on the loop out (video out) part of the monitor - so whatever you see on the monitor is being recorded on the VCR.

first thanks for replys.

right will try to explain the best i can like ive said new to all this.

first iv connected camera 1 and camera 2 to the bnc connections at the back of the switcher(which does not have a make on it)

then from the video out(at the back of the switcher)iv put in the video in at the back of the vcr(hitatchi time lapse)from the back of the vcr( video out)ive conneted to the monitor(philips).

so make of tv is philips model no is vss14pt/1

make of vcr is hitachi model no is vt-l1200e

8 channel switcher dont know??

sorry cant wouldnt know where to start but i will try to explain

front of panel

power/-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 then/ bypass/ then timer

8 channel audio/video switcher

on back

top line/-audio out/ 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-(audio connections)

bottom line/ video out x2/ 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 (bnc connections)

dont know if this will help thanks