djbestman

LAN SWITCHES FOR IP CAMERAS

Hi Guys (and/or Ladies)

Could anyone let me know if there is a standard requirement for what type of network switch is needed to best compliment any I.P camera installion.

Thanks in advance...........

For small installs (around 24 cameras or less), any basic modern switch will be just fine.

I would stick with a name brand (D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, Cisco, etc.) just to be safe, but you don't need any special features or functions for basic stuff.

Yeah, there's no real "requirement" other than the switch being capable of handing the traffic. A basic $50 gigabit switch should be fine for 3-4 cameras (depending on resolution and codec used). Look at the rated *actual* throughput of the cameras, and the rated backplane capacity of the switch, and make sure the former don't total up to more than the latter.

Beyond that, it all comes down to the requirements of the job itself - PoE, management, etc.

True, too... most cameras don't really require a lot of power. PoE spec states the source should be able to supply up to 15.4W per channel; some switches will do up to 15.4W on half their channels, or 7.5W on all of them. Without IR, most IP cameras you'll find probably run 5W or less.

Hi,

Yeah you can use DLINK and Netgear for the smaller jobs but I would be re-thinking them on the larger scale jobs... Most People worry to much about the power of the switch rather then the throughput of waht it can handle.... Remeber you can have 23 MP cameras pushing all that data over the one CAT5 cable and into the NVR...

Throughput is important to remember and also not all vendors are happy to tell you the throughput as they know it is pretty poor....

http://www.lantronix.com/resources/net-tutor-switching.html

This is give you a idea and maybe help you select a switch to use or confuse you eben more like it did me...

I would also look at Korenix, PLanet as they both make good switches.

MM

Thanks Guys, this will help alot. I work for a company that imports and distributes various anaologue CCTV products into Africa. We have been slowily leaning towards I.P security solutions as this is the current trend with the rest of our market. I have been tasked with sourcing various products for our range and one of these are network switches. The one particular company I am looking at is MTN Electronics in Shenzen China (www.mtncn.com) ( As we get a lot of our anaologue products from there) has anyone ever heard of their brand or products? They seem ok, but i am kinda new to the technology ( Although not a complete virgin)

Other Than the big brand switches i.e Sisco, Netgear, Dlink etc. In Anyones opinion would this MTN Electronic brand be sufficient to support I.P CCTV?

I don't see any POE switches on their site I would use... none give power specs and I don't see any gigabit PoE switches. You might be able to get by with their non-poe switches, but I've never used their products. You would have to try them and see.

I use a lot of HP switches. I've never gotten any bad gear from Transition Networks either if you're looking for cheaper.

Depends on system. If you will use lots of cameras and one workstation - any switch, depends on speed and PoE requirements.

If you build system with lots of users (workstations) at LAN, you should use multicast streams from cameras (servers), so, requirements to sw should include multicast protocols managment (IGMP, PIP, etc.....).