fastsoft

DVR Aggregator?

Looking for an aggregator that I can put in a datacenter that would take in multiple feeds from DVRs, any such product?

Then I would like to stream from many different locations a subset of those feeds?

This is usually called VMS (Video Management Software) or Central Station. Many companies make this for connecting to multiple DVRs at once. Honeywell has a few, WinPak for access control, MAXPRO VMS is more geared toward video.

There are also some DVR manufacturers that build VMS software for connecting to and managing many DVRs at once (OpenEye) across multiple locations.

What do you mean by this?

Then I would like to stream from many different locations a subset of those feeds?

Do you mean that you would like to re-transmit the video coming in and stream it back out to another location? What would are you trying to accomplish here? I'm not sure I know what you're looking for, but if you could describe what the end-user experience would be, I might know of something that does that.

For Example lets say I have DVR1, 2, 3 each with Channel A, B, C. They all connect to a Central Station in a datacenter somewhere.

Then I have viewers

Viewer I (Los Angeles):

1A, 1C, 2B, 3A

Viewer II (San Francisco):

1A, 1B, 2A, 2C, 3A, 3B

Etc...Is this possible? Each Viewer would connect directly to Central Stations such that DVR1, 2, 3 only would have to send one upstream video.

Thanks!

Normally no, but depends on the DVR manufacturer.

Most DVRs can be totally different from one another.

Writing code for everything out there is like pulling teeth, and thats after you get past the language barriers.

Some may work with VLC though, then you could restream that out.

The DVR would need to support RTSP though, and VLC needs to run all the time for you to connect.

Let's put it this way...i can make them all the same vendor...but what's the best Central Station software out there?

Everybody will recommend only what THEY know or USE

What I call based on seller or integrator "comfort level"

unfortunately "comfort level" usually goes with price at what we buy

What u wanna do can be easily done with IP based product in my opinion

True, I agree with that statement...

IP cameras tend to be more expensive, and use a lot of bandwidth, even on the LAN...Maybe things have changed, but that's my experience...

Is there a list of the most popular Central Stations?

True, I agree with that statement...

IP cameras tend to be more expensive, and use a lot of bandwidth, even on the LAN...Maybe things have changed, but that's my experience...

Is there a list of the most popular Central Stations?

How long each user will be connected to "central server" ?

Why wouldn't you just have the viewers connect to the DVR directly as opposed to the "Central Station"?

The "central station" aspect that you speak of is mainly just for the viewer who wants to view multiple DVR's from different locations, but there would be no need to "re-output" a stream to a remote viewer and it would make more sense for the remote viewers to connect to the DVR instead. But if you have objections to this, I am wondering why?

Im primarily a developer not just an end user, so Im comfortable working with anything someone throws my way - however, I have not used any central station software like that. Most just stream the video for themselves, and clients connect direct to the DVRs separately (I also do work for alarm central stations here, and have assisted the alarm central station software programmers in the past).

That said, far be it for me to mention something I have briefly tested before, but here goes, you could look into a program called DSS from Dahua, its enterprise software for their DVRs. Client connects to the DSS server instead of the DVR - though I am not sure if it still streams from the DVR or not, as I didnt test it extensively due to time constraints.

I wish you could connect to DSS like you can with a DVR, but you cant. If it did have that capability, it would be a nice IP camera server as well.

The reason I don't want the viewers to directly connect to the DVR is because my upstream bandwidth is usually only 1Mbps. That's barely enough for one channel, let alone multiple users trying to stream the same channel.

It's like the Ustream model...single uploader and then take advantage of large pipes at datacenters...

The reason I don't want the viewers to directly connect to the DVR is because my upstream bandwidth is usually only 1Mbps. That's barely enough for one channel, let alone multiple users trying to stream the same channel.

It's like the Ustream model...single uploader and then take advantage of large pipes at datacenters...

Yep kinda Ustream

but the way I understand all this avail for IP world

few years back I play with Asian product which kinda does what u want

They call streaming server

few notes from their manual :

Streamer is a kind of streaming server to deliver video, audio and

control information from video servers or IP cameras to large number of

clients including CMS, NVR or web viewer.

Streamer also supports delivery of audio and control in reverse

direction: from clients to servers.

Streamer, it is possible for large number of clients to monitor

a server without overloading the network to the server as well as the

server system itself.

Makes sense now. Yes just like previous posters said, this would be easier with IP systems. The problems you will find having an analog CMS software is:

#1) You have to have all of the same brand DVR's in order for them to connect to the CMS.

#2) There are not many CMS softwares for analog DVR's that I know of that will allow remote viewing into the CMS software. You could have people use a service such as "logmein" to get into the server computer but thats kind of a ghetto way to do it. Not even sure how those services work with simultaneous logins.

Another way you could do it is if the manufacturer of your DVR's also manufacturer NVR's. In this case, they may have an option to connect to channels of remote DVR's. this would allow you to have a "Sub DVR" in essence. But like I said, they usually have to be made by the same manufacturer for this to happen.

In short, if all of your DVR's are not the same brand, you will have a hard time achieving what you want to achieve.

Sean,

Can you give me an example of a company that makes DVR and NVRs with the sub DVR feature?

Anyone else find that having 8+ IP cameras on their LAN, totally makes the LAN unusable for other users? Are people usually running dedicated networks for the IP cameras?

on slow connections here we connect using low res.

So 16 in low res is okay even with 384-512 upload speed.

How many total channels would you need on the NVR server central station?

Are people usually running dedicated networks for the IP cameras?

That is totally recommended

Maybe 10 DVR sites each with average 4 channels each so maybe 40 channels or so. I reached out to linovision to get a trial copy. Hopefully that will work.

4 channels each is simple.

if you are watching cameras in a 64 way view it doesnt have to be in D1, can just be low res, then you can adjust individual cameras to D1 when needed. Or run a single viewer for the D1 only when you need it.

Can you give me an example of a company that makes DVR and NVRs with the sub DVR feature?

aver will do what you need. CMS will look after 1000 cameras if you need more the cms pro. the good thing is it gives you multi screens emap. alarm record (3fps) ptz control (external dvr setup) and free ddns service.

but only works with aver .... both analog and IP .(most IP if ran via a aver)

http://uk.surveillance.aver.com/product/CM3000

Hi Tom,

Does the CM3000 stream out. Or can you remote view into it like a DVR. He wants to remote view into the central mamangement software

Hi Tom,

Does the CM3000 stream out. Or can you remote view into it like a DVR. He wants to remote view into the central mamangement software

sorry i missed out page 1. yes if he goes for the gold into a dedicated server. but reading page 1 of posts.

there is an easy way. with avers if he buys a unit say 16 way then that will do just the same. as all avers can take a number of cameras from any dvr over the internet and combine with any aver dvr.

so if he has 4 cameras at 1 location he can pick others from any other location to fill the 16 screens