slik_rik30

New system build - Exacq vs. ACTi NVR

I've been lurking for a while and love the knowledge I am soaking up. Thank you!!

At my facility I am integrating an existing 16ch analog system (All Pelco) with 16 additional IP cams.

I have tentatively chosen the following:

Exacq 1608-48-2000-R2 Hybrid server (to use the existing cams runs and add IP)

GVI NHD-2151 2MP outdoor cams

ACTi ACM-3701 indoor cams

Sony SNC-DH220 indoor cams

My main question lies around the Exacq. The boss is having me look into ACTi's software that comes with the cams, build our own NVR (he's a Dell diehard) and use only ACTi cams. But will this be a robust solution for a large IP install? This would obviously assume that we ditch the analog cams and build back an all ACTi system to which I am not inclined to do.

Any thoughts on the process would be appreciated.

I wouldn't get trapped into a Hybrid DVR if it were me.

I would look at Avigilon Encoders and Avigilon NVRs. As a first choice.

+1

Hmm, On another note lets create website for Avigilon dealers and partners

I've been lurking for a while and love the knowledge I am soaking up. Thank you!!

At my facility I am integrating an existing 16ch analog system (All Pelco) with 16 additional IP cams.

I have tentatively chosen the following:

Exacq 1608-48-2000-R2 Hybrid server (to use the existing cams runs and add IP)

GVI NHD-2151 2MP outdoor cams

ACTi ACM-3701 indoor cams

Sony SNC-DH220 indoor cams

My main question lies around the Exacq. The boss is having me look into ACTi's software that comes with the cams, build our own NVR (he's a Dell diehard) and use only ACTi cams. But will this be a robust solution for a large IP install? This would obviously assume that we ditch the analog cams and build back an all ACTi system to which I am not inclined to do.

Any thoughts on the process would be appreciated.

You don't have to buy the Exacq hardware. You can use a dell server to make your boss happy along with any supported encoders from Sony, Axis, or Acti and create your own hybrid server. I would not recommend using the ACTi software as you are locking yourself into ACTi only product. As for your camera chocies GVI is no longer so I would not buy any GVI product and not sure if you can even get GVI product anymore. I have used both ACTi and sony cameras before and I would choose Sony over ACTi every time. Best image quality on the market.

The Acti software is also painful to use... I'd avoid it.

Thats the feeling I was getting. In addition to being tied to one manuf.

ssmith10pn

Thanks for tip on the Avigilon encoder. I have reached out to one Avigilon partner to help me price things out.

If I go the Avigilon encoder route is that compatible with Exacq or will that move me to Avigilon CCS?

Exacq does not list any Avigilon products on their website.

I don't think they will ever list (competition)

but Exacq will connect to Avigilon using ONVIF

but who want to use Exacq with Avigilon

Exacqly

Avigilon started out life as a Software Soultion like Milestone, Omnicast, Exacq, Etc.

They were a direct competitor to Exacq.

I'm probably a little bias but Avigilon is the bast software solution out there as far as I'm concerned.

Exacqly

Avigilon started out life as a Software Soultion like Milestone, Omnicast, Exacq, Etc.

They were a direct competitor to Exacq.

I'm probably a little bias but Avigilon is the bast software solution out there as far as I'm concerned.

little bias ?

I am bias "little " in power 3

HI,

I have used the ACTi software before and found it was processor Hungry and I would hate to be tied done to the one camera manufactuer... I am not a Acti fan as had the dealership for 12 months with 20% failure rates.... I am a SONY dealer now but agree about using encoders any brand is fine as long as they work with the software.

Exacq is also a good system but you need to downgrade the firmware of most cameras to work with exacq so not a fan of that....

Either way as technology changes don't tie your customer into one company and use a company like Milestone, Exacq for software and then you can use whomever you choose or the enviroment chooses for IP Cameras..

Thanks

MM

Thanks for the replies, I am now caught up in the Avigilon train and heading that direction.

You all have confirmed my fears about the 'free' ACTi NVR and I will stay far away.

Thanks!

Bla Avigilon. Just another proprietary software package with limited 3rd party camera support. Sure nice features and nice interface if you have the customers that want to pay top dollar.

I'm sticking with my trustworthy exacq setups. It works with everything, no active x crap to deal with, my blackberry customers are happy as well as MAC, android, iPhone, Linux and the list keeps going.

My biggest urk with them is there complicated licensing arrangment. I have a few more urks but I live them just for the simplicity of support on multiple platforms. Three schools I did love the software because the dean of students is running a Mac and the director of finance runs a PC and both never have issues. They love it so much they purchased a few iPads for key personnel to monitor the cameras while they roam the hallways .

Bla Avigilon. Just another proprietary software package with limited 3rd party camera support. Sure nice features and nice interface if you have the customers that want to pay top dollar.

I'm sticking with my trustworthy exacq setups. It works with everything, no active x crap to deal with, my blackberry customers are happy as well as MAC, android, iPhone, Linux and the list keeps going.

My biggest urk with them is there complicated licensing arrangment. I have a few more urks but I live them just for the simplicity of support on multiple platforms. Three schools I did love the software because the dean of students is running a Mac and the director of finance runs a PC and both never have issues. They love it so much they purchased a few iPads for key personnel to monitor the cameras while they roam the hallways .

You don't know much about Avigilon do you?

Avigilon supports over 400 cameras from all major IP manufactures plus Onvif.

Avigilon is zero recurring fees unlike Exacq.

Avigilon has none of the camera connection issues that Exacq has.

How long does it take you to search 30 days worth of megapixel camera video on Exacq? hell how long does it take you to search 1 day worth of video on Exacq

If your comfortable with Exacq and Acti and your customers are happy that's all that matters.

The only Haters of Avigilon are the ones that can't sell it or buy it. " title="Applause" />
Edited by Guest

LOL!

Which camera does does Avigilon fully support? Let's all say it together Avigilon..........

Never said it didn't work with others. Gees you guys have one mindset when you team up LOL!

Never said I was a hater either. This is how wars start....

I have an opinion you have yours and pretty near all those now gunning for Avigilon were all gunning for exacq months back. I haven't had connection issues with exacq. I do have my bickering about them and I maybe would like Avigilon if I had customers that could afford to pony up the high price for their software and cameras in order to get all the features one would expect from a fully functional cross platform compatible NVR solution.

If 400 cameras include using all the functions such as simple motion detection then I'll try it but the last time I spoke to an Avigilon rep the only camera that they have full support for is there own and all others are pretty much view and record.

Can you tell me otherwise?

Not here to argue just stating a point I was told by an Avigilon rep directly. See I did look into them....not a hater just looking for something that has more compatibility.

Chill out folks . Did I say anything incorrect in my post to rattle the cage other than why I like exacq better since OP was originally asking about exacq and Acti freeware?

The only Haters of Avigilon are the ones that can't sell it or buy it. " title="Applause" />

Agree

and lets keep this way

Recommending only video security solutions based on your current comfort level or technical capabilities is not delivering the best long-term business solution.

It is selling products.

If you are in a "product sale" mindset, you better have some really low overhead and be able to live with "low price wins" profitability issues.

Pretty low AK! Your comment is not representative of me at all if it was directed towards me that is, because of an opinion I had. Ya I hate them cause I can't sell them LOL! Some comments in regards to my post are simple non sense.

Nothing more to say on this subject because my technical abilities prevent me from expressing my opinions any further LOL you crack me up.

Pretty low AK! Your comment is not representative of me at all if it was directed towards me that is, because of an opinion I had. Ya I hate them cause I can't sell them LOL! Some comments in regards to my post are simple non sense.

My comment was not directed towards you at all

If u took this way

I am sorry

you know me better

LOL!

Which camera does does Avigilon fully support? Let's all say it together Avigilon..........

Never said it didn't work with others. Gees you guys have one mindset when you team up LOL!

Never said I was a hater either. This is how wars start....

I have an opinion you have yours and pretty near all those now gunning for Avigilon were all gunning for exacq months back. I haven't had connection issues with exacq. I do have my bickering about them and I maybe would like Avigilon if I had customers that could afford to pony up the high price for their software and cameras in order to get all the features one would expect from a fully functional cross platform compatible NVR solution.

If 400 cameras include using all the functions such as simple motion detection then I'll try it but the last time I spoke to an Avigilon rep the only camera that they have full support for is there own and all others are pretty much view and record. Really the only thing Avigilon doesn't support with 3rd party cameras is audio.

Can you tell me otherwise?

Yes I can. The info you have is incorrect. Avigilon like Exacq does not have server based motion detection so all the cameras they support have on on-board motion. I current have Mobotix (Exacq doesn't support) and Sony on my demo system and I have used Axis, Acti, Arecont, Sanyo and VideoIQ with Avigilon ACC.

The fact is, that every product on the market has shortcoming and compromises. Exacq is weak in playback, especially over a WAN connection, Milestone has occasional problems, and can be difficult with their licensing scheme, Avigilon has somewhat more limited third party product support.

I'll pick on any manufacturer's weak spots, and recommend them for their strengths.

Over the years, I've become an "Authorized Dealer" for Arecont, Avigilon, Exacq, Panasonic I-Pro, Milestone, Pelco 9000 series large matrix certified, Galaxy access control, IEI E-Merge access control, Assa Abloy hardware, been to our DVR suppliers headquarters in Seoul, and quite a few others I'm probably forgetting right now..

Every one of them has problems and strengths to suit a particular application, but beyond that, we select our customers, too. We aren't, and never will be, the cheapest out there, and we intend to stay that way, it's the only way we can provide the level of service our customers expect. Our customers get results from their systems (over 80% of our business if from existing customer growth, or direct referrals from our customers).

Fully 90% or more of our business is Megapixel IP, now....

We are about to flip a MAJOR MAJOR corporation to Avigilon. When the deal is done I will talk about it.

This scenario has been playing it self out over and over again at LARGE scale corporations and government agencies. You can call it over priced crap if you want to but we will be the last one laughing all the way to the bank.

We aren't selling the product with "Smoke and Mirrors". The product sells itself with user simplicity.