vmgtlexi

Samsung SCO-2080R Power Failures

I just got off the phone with a Samsung engineer (I muscled my way to the right department). He confirmed my math.

They concurred the camera is not being under-powered and said "there is definitely something wrong with the camera".

so lets just say all your cameras are 1 amp thats your full 5 amp used nothing for IR switch on or filter move. you are still under powered Rory even calculators cant be that expensive to buy out there

I already mentioned this, that it should be a little over the specified current draw just incase.

Although that 1A would be with the IR LED on. 6.8 watts with IR LED on. Or actually 567ma and if that is 24VAC then double it for 12VDC, eg. 1.2A needed per camera.

So, how does one know if the power consumption ratings in a camera's manual are calculated using 24VAC or 12VDC?

The manual says the following:

ELECTRICAL

Input Voltage

DC 12V ± 10% / AC 24V ± 10%

Power Consumption

Max 6.8W / 6.5W (IR-LED ON)

I read it to mean that the 6.8W (before the slash) relates to the DC 12V (also before the slash).

But, I know this was typed up somewhere in Asia and the language and intent are sometimes lost in translation.

I was just curious why you chose a 5 amp box rather then a 10 amp. Most of the ones I see are 10 amps. Even though it's confirmed to be the camera, maybe an upgrade to a 10 amp box would be a good idea down the line anyway?

Shockwave,

That's something I am considering.

I originally owned a 4-channel DVR. I never thought I'd ever have more than 4 basic cameras. Thus, my 9-output PSU with 5A seemed like plenty for 4 simple IR bullet cams.

Now, I have an 8-channel DVR, but only 5 cameras.

I may not do anything new on the PSU front. But if I do, I want to be sure it's the LAST power unit I ever buy; ie, I want to get more than enough juice for 8 cameras (I never plan to own 8 cameras, but you never know).

Would appreciate comments - let's assume I one day have 8 cameras; TDN IR bullets or domes (no heaters, no blowers, no PTZ needed; just solid TDN IR functions on a reliable solid camera).

What would be more than enough of a PSU for those 8 cams, without going too overboard on power?

I need a wall-mount PSU.

You could always just buy a 1.5a plug in power supply, they are like $15 here retail so must be around $5 in the US.

Here's a new issue with the SECOND SCO-2080R (not the same physical camera that started this thread, but the same model in the same system). This issue just started tonight.

Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4uiaKkUPU4

Now I am really confused.

Maybe Tom is right about the power; what's the likelihood that I have 2 bad SCO-2080R cams? Probably low.

Samsung seemed to agree there's no way it's a power problem. I am so sick of this hobby. Ready to toss all this junk in the trash.

I may get this PSU to satisfy all power needs. Will this be sufficient for my system? And, if power is the issue with the SCO-2080R's, will this solve it?

I have 5 bullet IR cams (no PTZ, no heaters, no blowers). If I ever get more cams, I'll never exceed 8 standard IR cameras.

Will this PSU suffice?

http://www.altronix.com/index.php?pid=2&model_num=ALTV248300UL3

loose or bad connector.

that PSU could power 8 really powerful IR cameras 5 times the size of what you have .. you still only have basic IR bullet cameras. I dont care what that manual says, Ive been using 99% IR cameras for 10 years now.

But yes its a nice PSU,

might as well get the isolated fused PSU one time then

I'll check the connections, but ALL of my connections at the camera end were wrapped carefully with electrical tape to ensure a TIGHT contact. At the DVR end, I'll check the termination and connection to DVR. But, it only started after I was moving power wires around on my existing PSU. I haven't moved or touched the BNC/video connections on this 2nd Samsung camera at all since it was installed.

So, just to test all hypotheses, I bought the transformer below in which to plug my SCO-2080R directly. This will take it off my PSU power grid and help determine where the problem lies (ie, with the PSU or the camera). The transformer was only $15 so I figured it's worth a shot. It should be PLENTY of power, which will rule out power supply problems if the cameras still powers down intermittently.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ALTRONIX-PlugIn-Transformer-24Vac50Va-115Vac-4WCD5

Questions:

1) It is a 24VAC transformer with 50VA output. Is my math correct that this equates to 2A output?

2) The terminals are not marked with "+" or "-". I thought that on 24VAC it was especially important to get polarity correct? Is that correct, and if so how do I know which terminal is positive/negative?

Thanks again!

The terminals are not marked with "+" or "-". I thought that on 24VAC it was especially important to get polarity correct?

hi it does not matter polarity on 24 ac (if not marked) so just connect + - to any pin.

Each channel is "isolated" from the next. If a problem is on one channel it doesn't affect whole system.

Like your homes circuit breakers. If the breaker in the bathroom trips because you dropped your hairdryer in the sink, your bedroom lights stay on.

What's the benefit of "isolated" PSU's?

So, here are the big results of replacing my 12VDC 5A PSU with a 24VAC 12.5A PSU....

First, you should know that the camera in question in this thread worked perfectly for over 48 hours while on my old 12VDC PSU with only 3 cameras total on that PSU. In other words, when I removed 2 cameras from the load, this SCO-2080R seemed to work fine.

So, today I installed my Altronix ALTV 248300UL3 PSU. It is 24VAC 12.5A 8-output.

I hooked my 5 cameras up to it (all of which supposedly draw 1A or less, even with IR on).

Within 5 minutes of everything being hooked back up, this SCO-2080R (the one that started this thread) experienced power loss!!! All voltage measures good on both ends.

So, despite being hopeful that this was an issue of the camera being under-powered, I don't think we can say that any longer.

Effing Amazing. I QUIT.

And, Samsung is about to get an earful from me.