vmgtlexi

Samsung SCO-2080R Wavy Lines

Here's an update. As usual, I appreciate any input:

For the Samsung SCO-2080R that was having the "wavy lines" as shown in the video early in this thread, here is the latest....

As you recall, the problems only appeared at night. So, last night I had this camera on ITS OWN dedicated power supply (ie, it was NOT being powered by my 12VDC common power box). The power came from an Altronix plug-in transformer that runs 24VAC with 50VA (2A) output. According to the manual this is the perfect match for the camera.

I DID NOT experience the "wavy lines" or broken image at all last night. The image stayed pretty much "true", with one point of concern...

Generally around the center of the image at night I can see a pulsating of the image. It is almost as if you are watching someone's heart beat pattern and it's being displayed as a pulse within the image.

As Tom pointed out before, he saw it in my previous video link on YouTube. But, now that I have the correct/ideal power input, why do I still have this pulsating?

Hi Sean,

This is the original video, and the same pulsating is visible. The "lines" that you see in this first video are now gone (presumably resolved by better power supply?). However, the pulsating that you see in the middle area is what I still see (that is, the pulsating is the only remaining "concern"). I can try to get an updated video up later today. But this gives you the idea....just imagine that this image is "clean" except for the pulsating in the middle, and that gives you an idea. THANKS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKCfkLKXayk

Good question -- I will set it to "Auto" for tonight's test. That way it will switch over to B&W and fire up the IR. Then, I can see if it only occurs in color.

As Gilda Radner used to say on SNL, "It's always something".

Here's last nights footage of the "pulsating". Presumably, the 24VAC dedicated power supply "solved" the "wavy lines". So, on the grand scheme of things, I am making progress.

Also, I looked back into my DVR's recording for this camera and location. The pulsating has apparently been happening since the camera was installed a few weeks ago. So, even though the "wavy lines" just started last week, this pulsating symptom is not new.

I wonder - I see a slight pulsing in all my cameras, though none stand out as obvious as this one. I wonder if it's just a matter of the cameras/DVR trying to render a low-light image; in other words, maybe this is just "digital cycling" of the images at night.

Anyway, since the 24VAC power supply has (for 1 night anyway) gotten rid of the "wavy lines"/broken images, I am hopeful that I won't have to uninstall these cameras for repair.

My new Altronix PSU box should be in soon. Once I install it, and have several days or more of testing to assure all of my problems are gone (or mostly gone), I will repost. I am hopeful that Tom, et al get the "gold star" on my problems for strongly suggesting power issues. Thank you for being outspoken about your analysis!

Anyway, here's last night's video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7tVdoM_GSI

h7tVdoM_GSI

PS - I looked at the other identical Samsung SCO-2080R during the same time frame as the video linked in the post just above this one. That other SCO is running in B&W IR LED's on at night. And, it ALSO shows this pulsating effect.

Sean suggested I should check if the pulsating shows up in B&W IR, and it apparently DOES.

Hi. vmgtlexi. looks like you are getting there. the problem now with your youtube video is common with the winner5 chip. if you have extra light comming into the frame. hence the pulsating. with you camera being in a small area the sens-up funcation is trying to alter the light.

switch this function off in your camera settings you may need to turn your britness up to get the right image you need.

Sens-up is already off.

A video engineer contact of mine suggested I check for the coax cable possibly touching a ground source....eg, possibly ground loop interference.

Rory - why turn off the time/date overlay??

when you take the camera and plug it direct into a service monitor, do you still have all these issues? You cannot troubleshoot properly going through a DVR. You may need to take the camera down and test it.

is this RG59 copper or aluminum braid?

also make sure the BNCs arent touching each other (sometimes matters)

could be cheap/bad BNC connectors as well.

Rory - why turn off the time/date overlay??

Just for grins and giggles. It looks like it might be pulsating with the time.

Does it do it when you look at the live monitor view when the monitor is connected to the DVR (not over the network)

Sean- Both of my SCO-2080R cameras exhibit this symptom. The other cameras (Nuvicos) seem to do it but very hard to tell for sure; it is certainly not as pronounced on the other non-Samsung cameras.

Sean - good tip. I will check the "live" view tonight on my monitor with the cam still hook thru the DVR. If it pulsates in live mode, I will then hook the camera directly to a monitor, thereby excluding the DVR from the mix. Great idea.

Yes, understood about removing the DVR from the mix... that's why I said I will "hook the camera directly to the monitor" thereby removing the DVR from the mix.

If this doesn't solve your problem and you have not this problem with other cameras then its time to get rid of this Samsung nightmare.

It is ridiculous to have to go through such a nightmare to get a expensive camera like this Samsung to work. Not even that well I may add.

Yes, understood about removing the DVR from the mix... that's why I said I will "hook the camera directly to the monitor" thereby removing the DVR from the mix.

I doubt its the cameras if its happening on both Samsungs and a little on the Nuvico's. You probably wont see it on your Live View. You will only see it on your recorded view, it just looks like compression. Atleast thats a theory. It will occur more on the "noisier" cameras than it will the clearer cameras.

In an effort to try to give back to this online community, I wanted to share my findings on this issue.

It appears to be entirely a DVR issue. When I view the camera in "Live" mode or directly through a monitor, there is no pulsing. It is only when viewed in playback mode that this pulsing exists.

The camera in question is set to D1 and 15FPS normal and 30FPS event. It is also set to record at superior (best) quality.

As a test, I changed the "normal" FPS to 30FPS. In this scenario, the pulsing almost entirely disappeared. I then changed the "normal" FPS to 7.5 and the pulsing became horrible.

The rendering of the image (which is somewhat of a "complex" image of my porch paver stones), probably adds to the mix a little bit.

Maybe this is the nature of the beast with my make & model DVR and/or H264 compression. I am inquiring at the manufacturer's tech support to see if this is considered normal (it probably is). But, the good news is I can not blame the cameras on this.

So, if anyone else later comes along and discovers this thread with similar issues, you might fiddle around with the record quality, FPS, etc. settings.

I hope this helps someone, because I know this forum has been a GREAT help to me.

Big thank you's all around!

EDIT: The solution above refers only to the "pulsating" effect I was having; it does not refer the "wavy lines" that is the title of this thread. The wavy lines are probably due to a power supply issue. Just wanted to clarify.