Advantage and Disadvantage or PoE in a CCTV system?

Who still uses twist-on BNCs?

I'm still waiting for twist-on RJ45 plugs.....

**********Edit*********

Yeah, I know, technically, they should be referred to as "twist-on 8P8C modular connectors", but everyone calls them RJ45's!

wish there was something as simple as twist on but what has become a simple design change to standard rj45 is the srip after crimp. never waste a rj45 again with the likes of legs to short

170299_1.jpg

I've had trouble with those crimping the pins in completely, I've gone back to my standard plugs and Ideal crimpers - BTW, did anyone notice what's wrong in that picture?

For someone that never used this stuff you sure to think you know a lot about it.

I thought I made myself clear, I dont use overpriced crap.

So yeah I never used "this stuff".

But to be fair, I have used crap like CNB, just not overpriced crap.

The Avigilon 4 channel encoder, ENC-4P-H264, does D1, 30FPS per channel with audio, for less than the cost of a Geovision card with the same specs.

For someone that never used this stuff you sure to think you know a lot about it.

I thought I made myself clear, I dont use overpriced crap.

So yeah I never used "this stuff".

But to be fair, I have used crap like CNB, just not overpriced crap.

The Avigilon 4 channel encoder, ENC-4P-H264, does D1, 30FPS per channel with audio, for less than the cost of a Geovision card with the same specs.

Oh, but didn't you know? Geovision is crap too. Rory's all about the Dahua now.

170299_1.jpg

I've had trouble with those crimping the pins in completely, I've gone back to my standard plugs and Ideal crimpers - BTW, did anyone notice what's wrong in that picture?

I have uses thousands of those connectors and the only time I have issues is with when the blade in crimping tool gets dull.

What standard are they using?

So its only $250 total including recording software? (GV-800-4)

Oh, but didn't you know? Geovision is crap too. Rory's all about the Dahua now.

Darn Skippy Captain!

So its only $250 total including recording software? (GV-800-4)

If you'd like to take this discussion to another area, we can discuss this in more detail, but you're not far off...

Only problem is, the Avigilon encoder isn't compatible with twist-on BNCs...

*ducking*

OK, I'll bite. How can an encoder not be compatible with twist-on BNCs? Yeah, that's right I used them in my house and so far (5 years on) I've had no problems with them.

Only problem is, the Avigilon encoder isn't compatible with twist-on BNCs...

*ducking*

OK, I'll bite. How can an encoder not be compatible with twist-on BNCs? Yeah, that's right I used them in my house and so far (5 years on) I've had no problems with them.

Inside joke - rory tends to get bent out of shape when you diss them.

Sh*t... I like (and use) twist-on BNCs

Haven't had one fail yet (of course, they're all in dry areas... I'd never use one for a wet location)

This is a fascinating thread!

Hard to follow when you have no experience of POe, but nevertheless quite fascinating.

So would you avoid POe when a camera needs weather protection in a colder climate like the UK,

where a heater (and Fan) is essential to keep the housing from fogging up at the very least.

If you did have to run a heater, would you choose another camera with independent PSU for outdoors

or could you use POe camera without too much extra work? Perhaps a higher rated POe switch for outdoor application?

What voltage requiremant do these cameras have is it the usual 12v DC or 24 v AC or higher? I read something

about 54 V but wasn't clear on the point made.

Can someone diagram how this works please or point me to a page that shows the setup? Thanks so much.

Edited by Guest

never had a problem installing IP into a housing. IP cameras do generate a little more heat than a standard camera so may not need extra heating.

connection with injector

170875_1.gif

connection with POE switcher

170875_1.jpg