MetzLyov

Video Splitter for (2) cameras

Hey guys,

Need help...

Looking for video splitter for 2 cameras only. I know this was a hot product over a 10 years ago or more, but nowadays, it costs much more than a video quad versions. Need both color and B&W variations. I found some through American Video Equipment and few off brand and they all are crap and costs over $250.00 or more..

Any ideas where I can get video splitters for at least 10 pieces??

Levon

Hey Metz,

We used to call them "spleen scritters" although not always intentionally

The last analogue unit I think was made by JVC, but as Picture in Picture devices became more popular, that did away with the 2 channel splitters.

I did see a brochure recently for a Quad with screen split options, but I think it may only be available in the UK (not much use eh!). I'll see if I can check it out over the next couple of days.

Pelco? Hell no If the Pelco is the last equipment available for security, I still will not move it...

I found a source, not really happy with the price, but still a source. It is from American Video Equipment http://www.americanvideoequipment.com/catalog/pipc/pipc.htm... The pricing is very high, but it is available... Have some specialty customers who still use them and still belive them... if that makes any sense...

Thanks guys!

Levon

true .. by the way just hooked up a 3 input Channel Vision RF mod, not bad. Have 2 muxes and 1 DVR on it .. the DVR is better quality than the 2 more expensive muxes .. strange ... on the Plasmas I mean, maybe cause its an all in one DVR, a budget one too, but maybe cause its digital and the muxes are analogue?? The Muxes is a Kalatel Simplex 16 Channel, and a Provideo 9 Channel Duplex, they are both around 5 years old. The 4 channel DVR is new a month now.

Unless the splitter is digital you will have to make sure the camera has external sync or the picture will roll. Also on a splitter as opposed to a quad, there is no video compression so if you are splitting the screen equally then 1/2 of each camera's field of view will be lost, you will essentially be slicing half the picture off.

Guys, lets stick with the original question. I am not looking for an explanation on how it works or connection using external sync, etc.

I know differences between digital and analog video splitters and also know that there are other ways to accomplish this...

I just want to know if there are other suppliers that you know that carry simple video splitter for 2 cameras - you connect 2 cameras to the splitter and it splits the screen to 2 on the monitor and you can view both cameras 100% without loosing the pictures...

Levon

Let me understand this correctly, MetzLyov, you want 2 cam signals on the in side to split on the outside, so you can view the 2 shots on one monitor? The unit you posted looks like just a PiP device?

Data, you are correct in your assessment, however I am not looking for PIP rather split the screen... The unit from Amerian Video Equipment provides both PIP and split functions..

This product was avail many years ago and nowadays, I guess very few actually carry them. The application that we need is very specific - (2) cameras with special zoom lens are to monitor metal drilling machine from (2) different angles and the operator is the view both pictures on the 9" monitor that is installed 18" away from the machine... Another application that I have is to place (2) ruggedized cameras on the front and the back of a military vehicle and the operator to view both pictures through a one monitor...

Levon

Hey Metz,

I think AVCONSULTING was actually being rather helpful by offering an explanation on the workings of analogue splitters, for the benefit of those on this forum who don't know anything about them. After all, you have to be of a certain age to have heard of them, much less used one.

Just a guess, but I suppose the Pelco rep. is not on your christmas card list this year

Being a major U.S. manufacturer, I'd have thought you would have had a good opinion of them. Anything you can elaborate on, or is it best left to the dealer forum? Just curious.

I like Pelco and their tech support is second to none. Attended many classes they have offered in N.J. In fact, we just today started a S.U.N.Y. College and all indoor pelco domes. Outdoor, we are using Sony Super Ex-view (real Sonys-real nice "schtuff"-Pelco housings).

Data, I am very glad that you like this manufacturer and if it works for you, then stay with them. I am not sure why people pay for this brand, most of which are OEM items anyway.... At least you like them and good luck on your ventures with them...

Coop, I am an old dog that will not learn new tricks... I have been doing this for too long. In the last 26 years in this business, not much went by me, regardless if it is a product line or a manufacturer... In fact, the video splitters were hot item over 15-20 years ago, but now very difficult to find.

I think it will be best that I do not discuss this manufacturer in this forum or even in the dealer section, as I am sure my comments will not be, well what you call "nice"... I am sure everyone will have their say and I will respect that, but this manufacturer name does not exist in my vocablary (you see, I did not even use it once) .... All I can tell you is that if any manuacturer or a distributor goes around you or circumvents your agreement does not deserve or should ever be given any attention now or in the future....

Levon

Data, you are correct in your assessment, however I am not looking for PIP rather split the screen... The unit from Amerian Video Equipment provides both PIP and split functions..

This product was avail many years ago and nowadays, I guess very few actually carry them. The application that we need is very specific - (2) cameras with special zoom lens are to monitor metal drilling machine from (2) different angles and the operator is the view both pictures on the 9" monitor that is installed 18" away from the machine... Another application that I have is to place (2) ruggedized cameras on the front and the back of a military vehicle and the operator to view both pictures through a one monitor...

Levon

Wow! Mil app! I hope I had exciting customers like that. You mean military vehicles use dual cameras these days? Or just special editions designed for Iraq so the front cam would spot suspected roadside bombs/IEDs while the rear cam confirms if it does explode after vehicle went past......

Pelco's world headquarters is 30 miles north of me. No one would talk to me or any of my associates. Too bad. We order a ton of PTZ's, but not from them, from one of their competitors, who by the way, treat us like royalty. Sad really. I would compare Pelco to Axis, industry pioneers that turn into dinosaurs.

Well said wireless.... At least you do not have to worry about your supplier snatching your customers away and leave you out in the cold (I hope) like in case of Pelco.... I think it is just matter of time that they fold or get bought out and they are hoping it is the second option...

Levon

Herm, if your assessment of them is being the devil, then I will add that they are back stabbers, liers, cheaters, business plan that is based on unethical structures... I am sure that I can fill a 1,000 different ways why we will never do business with them and even if they are the last manufacturer in our industry...

Levon