lechols155

what is a good NVR software

HI

I am new to this site and to IP video. My company has been installing analog systems for many years now and its time to migrate.

Does anyone recommend a good NVR software or is it better to use a stand alone NVR. Most of my jobs are under 32 cameras

I would like the software to work with multiple camera manufactures and linux OS would be nice but not necessary.

Is there any software that will do IP and work with video capture cards to make upgrades or retro fit jobs easier / cheaper. Or do they only work with IP encoders.

Any info would be nice

Thank you

Larry

It depends on the project spec. You mentioned you used to install analog. Are you looking for hybrid systems?

If you are looking for IP-cam-only systems, QNAP has some decent stand-alones that fit your needs. It is Linux based and supports all the big manufacturers such as Axis, Mobotix, ACTi, and etc. Since you are new to the IP world, I'd recommend you to start with the stand alone systems instead of the software because stand alone systems are easier to install.

Avigilon and Exacq would be my top two picks. I heard milestone is nice too. I played with a free copy of it about 3 years ago, but kind of forget any specifics of it after using Avigilon and Exacq.

I use exacq, and have 4 analog cameras hooked up to it via an Axis encoder. I am slowly upgrading the analog cameras to IP as the budget allows, and as I find IP cameras that I like.

It depends on the project spec. You mentioned you used to install analog. Are you looking for hybrid systems?

If you are looking for IP-cam-only systems, QNAP has some decent stand-alones that fit your needs. It is Linux based and supports all the big manufacturers such as Axis, Mobotix, ACTi, and etc. Since you are new to the IP world, I'd recommend you to start with the stand alone systems instead of the software because stand alone systems are easier to install.

Most jobs would be complete IP based systems unless i run across an upgrade like i am working on now. I will look in to QNAP. Just looking for good reasonably priced system and i dont want to get locked into a specific brand of cameras

I should clarify i am new to ip cameras but have no problem building a server and network.

Thank you for the replies

I have looked into exacq a little bit along with truview and milestone.

i will look into exacq some more.

what kind of price range per camera should i be looking at?

thanks larry

If your a professional shop with a good reputation I wouldn't be looking at products that anyone off the street can get. Set your self apart from the trunk slammers.

You need some products that provide you protection from local competitors.

If your a professional shop with a good reputation I wouldn't be looking at products that anyone off the street can get. Set your self apart from the trunk slammers.

I agree what do you recommend?

I agree what do you recommend?

I have no doubt He meant Avigilon

price per channel: Milestone > Exacq > Qnap. They are all very good products so it all comes down to what kind of budget you have and the project spec. if it's big porjects with hundreds of cameras, i'll go with Milestone. if it's home/mom and pop shops/smb projects, i will probably go with Qnap.

I really don't understand why so many root for Avigilon.

If you look at the list of brands/models they support: http://www.avigilon.com/downloads/acc4/ACC-Support-Devices-4.10.0.14.pdf

They don't even support Bosch, who's 5th on the market of IP camera's.

Milestone however has allot more support: http://www.milestonesys.com/support/technical+support/supported+hardware/supported_hardware/corporate

Besides, Milestone doesn't make hardware, thus can focus more on supporting as much brands as they can.

Omnicast is nice too, but it's more expensive for small installations.

From a business standpoint we have zero desire to use Bosch. Why sell software only your company has an agreement with the manufacturer to sell and then put a camera readily available to anyone on the system?

I'd say it's a strategic move for them to NOT support Bosch.

From a business standpoint we have zero desire to use Bosch. Why sell software only your company has an agreement with the manufacturer to sell and then put a camera readily available to anyone on the system?

I'd say it's a strategic move for them to NOT support Bosch.

I don't quite get your point, but that might be due to the fact that English isn't my native language.

Chances are they support Bosch with ONVIF.

My experiances is that ONVIF is still a work in progress. It's a good idea but it doesn't quite work completely yet.

I would be really nice when it's fully operational though.

Don't get me wrong though, Bosch screws up big time with their IP/Software department with little support with other brands.

They're one of the frontman of ONVIF but their own VMS system (BVMS) doesn't even support it.

The thing I just wanted to point out, that I don't understand the popularity of a VMS software which only has such a small list of supported brands.

I personally would rather choose a VMS software which doesn't have direct ties to a specific hardware brand.

Then again, I recon it doesn't really matter much for installers who only build small installations, or even big installations where only 1 or 2 brands are used.