myplace46

Oldie but a goodie!

I just picked up this Pelco pan-tilt mount with camera housing.

Yeah, its about 18 years old but, it looks almost new and it works just fine.

I'm thinking about hooking this up as my main camera for looking over my property with

my zoom lens RS485 controlled camera and this P/T unit, I should be able to look around pretty well.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions on this set-up, please chime in.

173548_1.jpg

its good but why type in bold? its annoying.

Well, Jarrald. When you get to be my age and your eyes get as poor as mine...

you'll understand. I'm sorry if I annoyed you but, perhaps you could explain

why that is. I really don't understand. I can understand typing in all caps is a bit bothersome

because that should be done only if you're trying to make a POINT or SHOUTING!

Thanks for you input, Sean and Rory.

Yeah, Sean when I did a little research on it I found the retail price was over $600 for the set-up.

Well, LJarrald. When you get to be my age and your eyes get as poor as mine...

why that is. I really don't understand. I can understand typing in all caps is a bit bothersome

when things are in bold they are harder (for me) to read, the characters seem more jumbled up and closer together

Well, LJarrald. When you get to be my age and your eyes get as poor as mine...

when things are in bold they are harder (for me) to read, the characters seem more jumbled up and closer together

Well... OK. Just for you, since you're such a cool kid, I'll quit using bold type.

Nice don't think pelco even still makes those they push their spectra dome's pretty exclusively for a PTZ solution these days. Pelco's stuff is usually pretty user friendly so it shouldn't be hard to hook up will use the Pelco D format by default and if its the only PTZ you have hooked up to your dvr shouldn't even have to do any set up. Let me know if it does give you problems though I still have a lot of old Pelco manuals laying around.

Great purchase, I WANT ONE too!

Actually, I found this one on eBay. If I see another one, I'll let you know. I was the only bidder so I got it cheap.

I think people were a bit leery of it because it stated it was un-tested and sold as "parts or repair"

I figured it was worth $25 even if it didn't work but, I was pleased that it does!

John

Nice don't think pelco even still makes those they push their spectra dome's pretty exclusively for a PTZ solution these days. Pelco's stuff is usually pretty user friendly so it shouldn't be hard to hook up will use the Pelco D format by default and if its the only PTZ you have hooked up to your dvr shouldn't even have to do any set up. Let me know if it does give you problems though I still have a lot of old Pelco manuals laying around.

Umbru, This one one is old school, can't control through the DVR, only with a separate controller.

If anyone here has one they want to get rid of, let me know. They do still make these, you can even get these through Sears. Not sure why anyone would want to go this route if they were putting together a system from scratch with new product, it wouldn't be practical cost wise or from a technology standpoint. this unit as you see it cost over $600 new and you still have to buy the controller starting @ $250 plus a camera and lens that's compatible with the control system. ie: lens focus, zoom and iris control. Then there is the cabling from controller to the camera, it uses a 20 conductor cable plus 120 volt power to the pan tilt unit.

Cheers,

John

Edited by Guest

you should be able to control it with a DVR if it uses Pelco D or P protocol

Sorry Sean, you posted this while I was replying to Umbru, as you can see from the above, no such luck.

John

What protocol does it use? If it uses Pelco D or P, you can use it on a DVR no doubt. Does it use a proprietary controller that came with the camera? Does it use an RS-485 connection or a multi pin connection. If it uses a multi pin connection and as long as the connections are labeled "Pan" "Tilt" "Left" "Right" "Up" "down" then you can use a little decoder board to make it an RS-485 connection to use with your DVR.

What protocol does it use? If it uses Pelco D or P, you can use it on a DVR no doubt. Does it use a proprietary controller that came with the camera? Does it use an RS-485 connection or a multi pin connection. If it uses a multi pin connection and as long as the connections are labeled "Pan" "Tilt" "Left" "Right" "Up" "down" then you can use a little decoder board to make it an RS-485 connection to use with your DVR.

Sean, its made to use a Pelco MPTV1510 controller or equivalent. It sends 24vac through 4 different wires ( and one common) depending on how you work the joystick, left-right-up-down.

I figured there was probably a controller interface like you describe that would allow me to use the DVR but at the moment, its not really necessary not to mention, my budget is depleted.

John

Well a pelco spectra costs about 2k so for 600 (1k after cam and lens ) that one would seem like a steal. Most business won't care about the controller because the installer will set a pattern and leave it at that.

Well a pelco spectra costs about 2k so for 600 (1k after cam and lens ) that one would seem like a steal. Most business won't care about the controller because the installer will set a pattern and leave it at that.

May be so, still seams like a lot of extra work but, depending on the situation... could work out.

myplace46 wrote:

Well, Jarrald. When you get to be my age and your eyes get as poor as mine

(1) You can always use the wheel on your PC Mouse to magnify the entire screen image.

(2) I imagine a Goldwing piloted by a rider with poor eyesight would be potentially lethal.

(3) Some Pelco scanners such as the PT270 were built for indoor use only. By the appearance of your scanner, it seems never to have been installed outdoors.

Come to think of it, there was a woman about a year ago who had a gigantic scanner nailed to her front porch.

You guys don't live in the same street by any chance...?