antdickens

Moving away from pc based

I have been installing PC based (Geovision) systems for over a year and have generally been very happy with the quality.

As we have more and more systems running i am beginning to become concerned about support for these systems and price.

I am considering scrapping geo except for certain jobs which need all those features and moving on to installing DVR's.

It might take half a day to set up a geo system (built ourselveS) whereas dvr should just work from out of the box.

My only concern is whether i can get decent remote veiwing and recording frame rate / quality from a dvr.

1. Do most dvr's require remote playback software to be installed or can you simplay use a browser.

2. Are DVR's significantly more reliable?

3. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Some people are very happy with PC based. We do not install them. I have a few laying around from system pulls. Some DVR's have the webserver built in AND have remote software. We (and our customers) like this feature. I have never seen a Sanyo or Panasonic crash...I have done service calls where the "boogey man" had played with the settings and the customer said it crashed. I take that back, Panasonic was using these awful Maxtors that kept on going dead. MetzLyov and rory kalatel can assist even more.

1 - Some do, some have web servers installed in the EPROM or on the HDD.

2 - Generally they will be more reliable, its an RTOS embedded system on the EPROM, non windows so less prone to worms and attacks. Most RTOS DVRs use the Linux RTOS, while GE uses Nucleus RTOS on most of their DVRs.

3 -GE is expensive on the UK side, DM is over there, but still expensive, and not that good IMO.

Okay for UK side this is what I would think you can get your hands on...

Id look at AvTech for budget jobs that need browser based, and something like the PowerTellecom 4 channel R4000 (i have seen similar ones on that RF Concepts Web Site or do a search for it on ASMag) for regular budget client based, higher quality and more admin settings than the AvTech. Both have given me no issues. Check out the CPCam line from Avtech.

For mid range, check out the Active-tek, for 4 channel DVRs, and WebGate Inc, for mId Range 8 and 16 channels, until Active-tek comes out with their 8 and 16 channel versions.

For high end ... Bosch, Baxall, Dallmeier, Sanyo. IF you can get good pricing on GE check it out, but i think Vista has the distributorship for them over there and as far as I was told, they arent cheap?

Just from what ive seen.

Do you have any problem with the remote view on Active-tek? It stops for 1/2 a second then resume? But their picture quality is damn good when set to D1.

I used it once, online for a while, and no issues. FredB on this forum sells it in cali though and never said he had any issues. Actually it was on of his locations I demoed remotely.

Rory