moschino

Convert IP Camera to Analogue over IP network. Help please

Message bodyApologies if this has been answered previously. New to this Forum.....

Can anyone advise on the following please –

I am attempting to install 2 IP cameras in a remote building have them linked over a TCP/IP network to the main building and then connect them into the existing American Dynamics DVMS system.

The American Dynamics unit only accepts Analogue (BNC) cameras.

The 2 buildings will be connected via Fibre Optic and have a Cisco 3550 switch in each.

Is it possible to covert from IP (RJ45) to Analogue (BNC) so I can connect the 2 IP cameras into the DVMS system?

There is a server running DHCP on the network so devices can either automatically obtain an IP address or I can assign myself.

I have seen via a Google search this item –

http://www.use-ip.co.uk/acti-acd-3100-one-channel-video-decoder.html

Would it do the job or can someone recommend a better option?

Many thanks in advance,

Jim.

Hi. can you list what IP cameras you have ???

going backwards is expensive and to be honest a waste of money. 1st you have the cost of your ip then the fiber link then the network setup and convert back to analog.

the decoder you have listed is £250 x 2 = £500 it would have been cheaper to have run cat5 and 2 analog cameras.

or your other option still cheaper change your dvr for a hybrid still cheaper than using decoders and you will get the best out of your ip (if they are MP)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am linking 2 Data Centres together, the fibre network cables are all in place.

The reason for using the American Dynamics unit is that it is one of the few DVR's that can integrate into the Velocity Door Access System.

I have checked the manufactures web site and they have an installation document for the IP to Analogue decoder, looks like it will do what I need over the IP network. I can assign the IP cameras an IP address, the decover can be programmed to connect to the IP camera via the IP address to obtain the video and convert to Analogue.

Problem solved.

Thanks.

I am linking 2 Data Centres together, the fibre network cables are all in place.

hi. you still never listed which ip you will be using. (they have to be Compatible) you still can save yourself a lot of time and money if you are using AD analog system then why not just run analog over your fiber and not have the large cost of ip to analog decoders.

Hi,

Sorry, I did not list the IP camera because I have not purchased one yet. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Fixed Dome short range with IR.

I decided not to run the cameras directly over fibre as I might need to expand the network in the 2nd Data Centre. This way I only use 1 fibre to connect the 2 DC's. Mangement might get a bit annoyed if I use all their fibre links for cameras!

Also, there is a Door Access system in the 2nd DC which I will be linking into the main system. That connects via TCP/IP Cat5.

Many thanks,

jim.

I've used those decoders in a couple of installs for a fixed monitor station, they work fine. You will be limited to cameras in Acti's ACM series- you could use the ACM-3401, ACM-3701, or ACM-3511 for indoor, or the ACM-7411 for outdoor. (In their settings, they need to be turned down from 1.3MP resolution to D1 to work with the decoder).

Or, if you need to use an existing or different camera, you could use the ACD-2100 encoder with a standard analog camera.

What sort of "integration" are we talking about here? If you're talking about a DVR that can log data from the access control and correlate it to video, there are hybrid systems that will do that easily - take a look at www.3xlogic.com. Going to a hybrid would not only simplify things substantially, it would give you the option to go to megapixel cameras, now or in the future. Using decoders will not only mean you have to add another with any camera you want to add, but they'll be limited to D1 no matter what camera you attach.

ssmith10pn -

Yes, it is the Hirsch Door Access system with Velocity running on the server.

The American Dynamics DVMS is one of the few models that fully integrate into the system.

Soundy -

I agree it would be easier to just convert the camera to fibre, however as it is in a different building I would be using up too many fibre connections on the Backbone firbe cable. Very expensive to run new fibre cable.

As the door access system and Velocity server are already installed, the CCTV part is an extension to the security of the buildings. Wanted to integrate all in 1 to save having several different solutions.

One question -

If I use the ACTI 3100 Video Decoder to convert video IP to Analogue BNC, what IP cameras can I use.

A previous reply stated that I can only use cameras from the ACTI range. I thought as long as I have an IP camera (correct res output) I can link to the ACTI decoder.

Is this the case?

Many thanks,

Jim.

I would be using up too many fibre

hi. you would be using just the same for analog or ip. except you then have the £500 cost of returning from IP back to BNC never mind the cost of the ip cameras (which you are not going to use the full benifit of)

all as you are looking to do is get video images from 1 building to the other it has nothing to do with your Hirsch Door Access system with Velocity running on the server that is done from your dvr.

As the door access system and Velocity server are already installed, the CCTV part is an extension to the security of the buildings. Wanted to integrate all in 1 to save having several different solutions.

But the question is, how is the CCTV system "integrated" with the access controls? You're already running a separate DVR, which you say was chosen because it "integrates" with the access controls, but what exactly does that integration provide?

The suggestion is simply to replace that with a hybrid DVR that can accept both analog and IP cameras, that can also integrate with the access controls...

Edit: there's also this: http://www.americandynamics.net/products/VideoEdge_NVR.aspx

VideoEdge is a high-performance NVR that supports multi-channel audio and dual streaming for a robust enterprise video management solution. Pre-configured bundled server solutions utilize an embedded Linux operating system, web server, as well as user, camera, network and storage management applications. The unique victor unified video management solution allows you to view and manage all of your VideoEdge NVRs, as well as any Intellex DVRs you may have, all from one intuitive interface.

One question -

If I use the ACTI 3100 Video Decoder to convert video IP to Analogue BNC, what IP cameras can I use.

A previous reply stated that I can only use cameras from the ACTI range. I thought as long as I have an IP camera (correct res output) I can link to the ACTI decoder.

Is this the case?

Many thanks,

Jim.

The Acti decoder will only work with Acti cameras, specifically, only models in the ACM- series model line, or the matching ACD-2100 encoder.

If you can get one free strand in the fiber, a multichannel fiber mux-demux link would probably be your best choice (for an example, look at the American Fibertek MT440C/RT440C set) http://americanfibertek.com/fiber_site/products/B-Multichannel%20Video/2-Four%20Channel/404C%20&%20440C.pdf .

There's multiple brands offering the same type of fiber solutions, too.

Thanks for your answers.

Soundt -

I did look at the American Dynamics NVR system and disgarded it as I was advised it would not integrate into the Velocity system. Believe it must be running the Intellex Software for it to be compatable. The NVR unit runs Linux, where as the DVMS unit runs Win7.

Hardwired -

Is there any other makers of decoders? I still cannot believe the ACTI decoder will only work with ACTI IP cameras. They would be cutting down on the amount of customers to sell to if they limit to their own cameras.

I looked at the product install guide and there is no mention that you must use their own cameras.

Is this something you have found out by experience?

Kind regards,

Jim.

Thanks for your answers.

Hardwired -

Is there any other makers of decoders? I still cannot believe the ACTI decoder will only work with ACTI IP cameras. They would be cutting down on the amount of customers to sell to if they limit to their own cameras.

I looked at the product install guide and there is no mention that you must use their own cameras.

Is this something you have found out by experience?

Kind regards,

Jim.

Yes, I've confirmed with Acti that their decoder will only work with their cameras or encoders.

Pelco used to make the NET350T/NET350R series encoder/decoder sets, but the are discontinued now, and I don't see anything in their current lineup that is comparable.

Poking around, I've found encoder/decoder units from Bosch, and others, but I haven't come across any "universal" decoders, there are just too many differences between IP cameras, and not enough market demand, to have made it attractive to manufacturers.

I did look at the American Dynamics NVR system and disgarded it as I was advised it would not integrate into the Velocity system. Believe it must be running the Intellex Software for it to be compatable. The NVR unit runs Linux, where as the DVMS unit runs Win7.

You still haven't clarified just what this "integration" involves. Are we talking, user swipes entry card, DVR logs it with the appropriate camera... or system does facial recognition from the DVR to allow access... or something in between? The former is easy and I could list a half-dozen hybrid systems that do it.

OS of the two units is irrelevant - the point of the setup is that both can be accessed from the same VMS. VMS doesn't care what OS the recorder is running.

I think you'll find most encoders only work with the same brand IP cams - as hardwired notes, there are too many variations in IP cam streams that a decoder would have to accept and decode, that it would be impractical.

It's an inherently niche market to begin with: decoding a megapixel cam to an analog feed is pointless as you loose the resolution, so you're already limited to using decoders with SD IP cameras... and those are a very small market because the added cost of IP vs. analog is attractive only in limited circumstances.

Given all that, there's not a lot of incentive for manufacturer to push decoders, let alone make them work with a lot of other branded cameras.

Soundy/Hardwired,

I see your point about the decoders only working with their own IP cameras. I thought there was a standard, but as you have advised this is not the case.

I might see if Bosch can supply, however it sounds like they would be about the same price.

With regards to the Velocity/American Dynamics integration.

Velocity have written into their software drivers that only work with a set few makers of DVR's. The one that is fully able to be integrated is the Intellex (American Dynamics) range. Bosch will link but most of the functions do not work.

The way I would be using the kit would be configured to automatically flag up the camera image when someone swipes their card and access is denied. It looks like it can be configurd to do much more which I can play with once installed.

If this was a new install (CCTV + Door access) then it would be done differently. As teh Door Access system is already in place, my install is just a bolt on. I have costed it and it still works out half the price if I do it myself than bringing in a company to do it.

Once again, many thanks for all your assistance. You have both been a great help.

Jim.

Message bodyApologies if this has been answered previously. New to this Forum.....

Can anyone advise on the following please –

I am attempting to install 2 IP cameras in a remote building have them linked over a TCP/IP network to the main building and then connect them into the existing American Dynamics DVMS system.

The American Dynamics unit only accepts Analogue (BNC) cameras.

The 2 buildings will be connected via Fibre Optic and have a Cisco 3550 switch in each.

Is it possible to covert from IP (RJ45) to Analogue (BNC) so I can connect the 2 IP cameras into the DVMS system?

Do they have to be IP cams? If you have an available CAT5 cable that's connecting you to the remote building, and distance is within a couple thousand feet, you could use video baluns (1 pair of the 4 pairs to carry 1 signal; 2 cams would require a total of 2 pairs).