doyous

NEW IN BUSSINES AND NEED HELP

I need to install 3 cameras CCTV system, but one camera needs to see trough steam. I´m not sure if there is a special lighting for this. Plz help!

It is a cooper mine, and its kind of sulfuric acid, I read that maybe a Thermal camera would help, but dont know about them

Sulfuric Acid ?

haha...even if the camera "could" see through the steam, it would need either a Teflon or Polypro housing with o-ring seals that can withstand the sulfuric acid residue.

Doyous,

The housing would probably have to consist of Viton or Kalrez seals as I mentioned before. I think more importantly is your initial question of whether or not you could monitor through the decreased visibility without going Thermal.....hmmm, not sure on that one, I will do a little research.

Extreme makes type of camera with Range gating. That is exactly what you are looking for. It can see through rain, snow, whatever. Contact murray kreuzer or bryan montogomery over there at extreme and they will take care of you.

jisaacmagee

May just be a chemical fog or haze and not actually steam? It is interesting to see what plays out with this job though.

Thank you guys for your opinions, I´ll contact the people and check the equipment you mention, next week I´ll go inside the line production and will know about the kind of steam it is...I´ll let you know

Make sure that you wear one of those nuclear suits, so that you don't come out bald

Take a strip of litmus paper and attach it to an area that is congested with the "steam", this will give you a very rough idea of what type of atmosphere you have to be prepared to work in.

We install cameras systems in paper mills, the camera housing in aluminium is air purged and the air then exits round the front glass acting as an air curtain, we can then use an air knife in front of the camera house for added protection.

In some cases where a camera would keep clean for maybe only 4 hours we have managed to reach 30 days using this housing and air-knife, typically these cameras are cleaned once every 24 hours. The same technique is used on high frequency lighting.

Paper mills are fairly harsh environments, steam, heat, vibration chemicals etc, normal housings and lights do not last.

We have just developewd a low-cost plastic version, first trials have been successful and customer has just ordered a bunch, so we now have to wait and see how they stand up to the environment.

A thermal camera will show just that the thermal picture of what you are looking at, it is very different to a normal picture, and may or may not be of any use, in the paper mills we use thermal cameras just for troubleshooting the process every once in a while, they are normally used in switch rooms looking for hot-spots in electical cabinets etc.

As for looking through steam or haze, this is a common challenge for us, colour cameras certainly perform much better than B/W, play around with the lighting, try putting the light closer to the target, or avoid illuminating the steam, this has helped us. Also consider installing fans to move the steam away from the field of view.

Hope this helps

The mine were the CCTV is going to be is 50° C... Does a normal housing with fan can do the job? What kind of camera can I use?

I need to put a wireless camera because the camera will be mounted on a car movig across 200 meters track.

Another thing, we must respect a 20,000 usd quote.

Thanks for your help

sorry 55° Celsius

This is becoming an interesting project

We tend to use the rule of thumb that anything above 40 degrees C will seriously shorten the life of any camera.

Using a fan may work, are you thinking of moving air in and out of the housing or just circulating within the housing. If moving air in and out, then you have to consider the effects of dust in the air contaminating the inside of the front window.

It might be better to use compressed air, but if it is on a rail wagon with 200 metres of track then that will be difficult/impossible, perhaps an air/nitrogen bottle would be better.

Above 50 degrees we also use a vortex cooler to take the heat out of the air, this works very well.

I know nothing about wireless cameras.

Hope my mumblings are of some help.

I´m still thinking what to do to maintain the temperature, what is the vortex cooler?

There are some cameras that can operate 50°C average, but maybe the housing make them increase temp.

I´m thinking in some wireless cameras, because of the 200 meters trail.

what about the air/nitrogen bottle, do I need to change it for a couple of months?

Anybody knows where to buy equipment near Tucson, AZ area?

Vortex cooler, it is a device for cooling compressed air, it spins the air in a cyclone, and the hot component is exhausted out one end, and the desired cooled air is then passed out other end to the device to be cooled (camera house in our case) there is some air lost in the exhaust 5~10% so this might not be good if using bottled supply.

http://www.exair.com/cabinetcooler/cc_page.htm

If you chose nitrogen (inert gas - totally safe - probably all they would allow in a mine) then yes you will have to change the bottle when it runs out.

Perhaps better to find a camera that will survive those temperatures.

I am in UK so no local knowledge on suppliers, pm me if you want info on our camera house.

Hi,Friends

The camera housing in aluminium is air purged and the air then exits round the front glass acting as an air curtain, we can then use an air knife in front of the camera house for added protection.

In some cases where a camera would keep clean for maybe only 4 hours we have managed to reach 30 days using this housing and air-knife, typically these cameras are cleaned once every 24 hours. The same technique is used on high frequency lighting.

Paper mills are fairly harsh environments, steam, heat, vibration chemicals etc, normal housings and lights do not last.