Zohan

Question using aver hybrid

Been looking at aver hybrid dvrs...for storage options I can go 3 different ways...

1. Hard drive in the dvr

2. Esata.

3. Nas

I want to go with #3 question is on the setup...do I just connect nas to same switch as dvr? Should it be connected to mb port or gb port? I read in the aver manual there is a setting to choose what storage option I am using? Is there any other configuring with this? If going like this I don't need any hard drive at all in the dvr?

Thx?

once you add a NAS to the NVR operating system you can choose that new drive path as any local drives. just make sure the connection is established on boot up.

I personally always prefer to store the actual recording on a NAS if I can VS locally. and defiantly over fastest possible link.

Not sure about Aver per se but some NVRs let you store locally for performance and transfer only archive files older then x-hours to the NAS.

If the DVR has gigabit, then use gigabit for the NAS as well. If the DVR's port isn't gigabit, then it really doesn't matter.

Been looking at aver hybrid dvrs...for storage options I can go 3 different ways...

1. Hard drive in the dvr

2. Esata.

3. Nas

I want to go with #3 question is on the setup...do I just connect nas to same switch as dvr? Should it be connected to mb port or gb port? I read in the aver manual there is a setting to choose what storage option I am using? Is there any other configuring with this? If going like this I don't need any hard drive at all in the dvr?

Thx?

on the avr the gb port on unit (it has both) just select network storage in system.

If going like this I don't need any hard drive at all in the dvr?

no you dont need a HD. but its always best to have something in. even if its just a 250g and you only get a few days recording it will be a backup if your external fails or your network goes down.

Thanks guys....haven't used an aver yet but the more I look at it the more I like it...I think it's missing a few things but overall looks nice

Thanks guys....haven't used an aver yet but the more I look at it the more I like it...I think it's missing a few things but overall looks nice

hi what things do you think are missing. aver has alot of functions that they do not list

Hi Tom....

1. Not all administrator settings are available remotely, some settings only made at unit

2. no hdmi output, only vga and is limited to 1024x768.....

actually, after reviewing a little more those might be my only gripes...

you seem to be the resident expert on aver units, so info coming from you is appreciated...thanks

Actually 1 other question...what if I need more than 16 channels...would I just put in 2nd unit and use the cms software to view?

Wondering if they will have a 32 ch. unit in the future

Edited by Guest

Hi Tom....

1. Not all administrator settings are available remotely, some settings only made at unit

2. no hdmi output, only vga and is limited to 1024x768.....

actually, after reviewing a little more those might be my only gripes...

you seem to be the resident expert on aver units, so info coming from you is appreciated...thanks

Actually 1 other question...what if I need more than 16 channels...would I just put in 2nd unit and use the cms software to view?

Wondering if they will have a 32 ch. unit in the future

they have always had a 32 way hybrid. SA range. but yes also with CMS and CMS pro you can watch and operate all the range together.

they are going to drop some of there range eh5 and NV3000 cards only because you can buy the new range of nano 4-8-16 cheaper than building a NV3000

nanos are there budget so no there is no hdmi but on the SA and windows based then you do.

1. Hard drive in the dvr

2. Esata.

3. Nas

Thx?

Which hybrid you looking at? I'm pretty sure I'm going the Aver hybrid route myself, was looking at the EH5108 but noticed they just replaced it with the EH6108 which is slowly appearing on retail sites. Looks to be a near exact replacement except it allows for higher resolution on all channels. I know it's "lower end" but my needs are very simple, mainly monitoring the horses.

I also have a Synology NAS that I could use instead but like the options/advantages of the DVR, mainly that I can easily output to my TV's and control with an IR remote without having to mess with a PC based setup (even though I'm a PC geek).

I'm thinking of a 6216 for my own use, but then any of the stand alone hybrid dvrs, 4,8 16 channel for clients. I will also set up with a nas, I like the fact I can separate the video from the unit.

1. Hard drive in the dvr

2. Esata.

3. Nas

Thx?

on the avr the gb port on unit (it has both) just select network storage in system.

no you dont need a HD. but its always best to have something in. even if its just a 250g and you only get a few days recording it will be a backup if your external fails or your network goes down.

just to make sure, can i do this even if only using analog cameras?

no switch, just directly to nas?

Type of cameras is irrelevant -the DVR is handling all the interactions.

You can connect directly, but you may need a crossover cable (IN THEORY you shouldn't as GbE ports SHOULD support auto-MDI switching). If you want to connect to the DVR remotely though, you'll need a switch.

If you want to connect to the DVR remotely though, you'll need a switch.

ahhhhhh... good point.....

looking at the specs the eh1004, 1008 and 1116 only has 1 ethernet port so yes i will need a switch if want to connect remotely.

The 6108 and 6216 each have 2 ethernet ports, so one port for nas and other port to router (no switch needed) ?

once you add a NAS to the NVR operating system you can choose that new drive path as any local drives. just make sure the connection is established on boot up.

I personally always prefer to store the actual recording on a NAS if I can VS locally. and defiantly over fastest possible link.

Not sure about Aver per se but some NVRs let you store locally for performance and transfer only archive files older then x-hours to the NAS.

I was just told this is not possible on Linux based dvrs only their windows based....have you actually done this on the eh series hybrid dvrs?

I was told by aver tech support

1. Hard drive in the dvr

2. Esata.

3. Nas

Thx?

Tom have you actually run a nas off this dvr with no hard drive, recording everything to nas?

Tech support (mark) tells me it won't work

Think my reply got messed up...I will ask again

Have you actually had eh series dvr record to nas without a hard driver in dvr.....mark at tech support says won't work....to me this is important, please confirm or deny, thanks

Have you actually had eh series dvr record to nas without a hard driver in dvr.....mark at tech support says won't work....to me this is important, please confirm or deny, thanks

The OS in the NVR has to run on something......

i suppose it does

So, if I have a 250gig hard drive in the dvr the os would run on that and then it would allow me to choose to record to a separate nas?

Isn't the OS baked into the DVR's mainboard? ie: Hard drive not required to use DVR? I've been using a G4 DVR for years without a hard drive installed. Haven't tried recording to my NAS though.

i suppose it does

So, if I have a 250gig hard drive in the dvr the os would run on that and then it would allow me to choose to record to a separate nas?

yes you can either Auto Backup. dump files everyday or week or month or Mirror Recording options

hmmm, so if i'm recording on motion and i want everything to go to the nas i would set up mirroring?

How would that work if i have a 250g internal and a 2tb nas....would that work at all or is that not the right way to do it?

I want to set up as i said with everything going to nas, i will put in a 250g hard drive just so it can run the os.