Numb-nuts

It's been one of those days, bit of a blog really!

I went to install a 8th camera at a livery stables today, and hell, I was up to my

knees in horse-crap. I started about 10:30 as the location is open to the hills and 08:00

would be way too cold to be up a ladder here in Greater Manchester.

Not only that, but I had to take my tools to the location in

a wheelbarrow that had previously been used to transport horse-doings.

I finally understand the advantage of having PC based cards, being at camera 8

another card can be added when more cameras are required. Quite a good option

for some clients. I hadn't quite cottoned on to this point previously.

I also had to be extremely sensitive about the way I proceeded as horses are quite skittish

and can kick and buck if they get alarmed by something like a ladder or a masonry drill or

even hammering. Fortunately we had no incidents whatever and some gee gees even came

over to sniff my tools out of curiosity I suppose. I didn't manage to finish since the light

was against me and frankly I was dog tired. It took me a while also to figure out the wiring

installed by the original installer. The wiring went to several outbuilding and there were also

several distribution points. Obviously the LAST one was where I found a free channel.

This was incidentally the first job I took my new van to and it didn't let me down at all

I have new shelves fitted in the back to store stuff, I haven't figured out what goes where just

yet but I will.

All in all I am shattered but consider this a bad day so far as progress is concerned.

I have installed the same camera set-up before and managed as many as five in a single day

unfortunately due to the nature of this stables and not being familiar with the DVR PC system

I still didn't finish running the camera wiring to the distribution point. I have to return and finish that tomorrow.

Incidentally, some of the cable run has to run along an overhead wire and it would be impossible to

get a scissor lift or a hiab bucket lift to operate safely so I an being hoisted up in a digger bucket.

I AM NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT AT ALL!

I will certainly have earned my money on this job.

so I an being hoisted up in a digger bucket.

I AM NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT AT ALL!

Im guessing you sign off your own H&S paperwork I was offered a lift in one from a builder friend in order to decorate a Christmas tree, I passed on that.

Dont envy you working at that time this morning, its not got above around 4 degrees all day as far as I can tell. Its ben very mild ofr the last couple of weeks too - just luck that it turns brass monkeys when you need to work outside. I have some jobs needing doing outside tomorrow too, and Im not enjoying the frost either. Hope all goes ok tomorrow

i went through 2 shirts on an install, its so darn hot.

sliced my leg open on a metal light that was leaning over on some boxes spliced into some high voltage wires just pushed into the sockets. Almost knocked myself out slapping my head so many times with the RG59 siamese ... and yeah pulled the ole back and neck and shoulders out again

But all in all I think I would take that over the cold livery stable

PS. might be coming to london for a few days for some non CCTV work, is it sort of cold there now?

I was glad of my gloves, I nearly froze to the wheelbarrow handles. I am not happy about being lifted

up in an JCB's bucket, but unless I caan get hold of some combination ladders over night (some chance)

that will be my only option. You can be absolutely certain I will be wearing my safety helmet and my

thermal underwear .

I don't like working at height anyway but this is just so ridiculously Heath Robinson (cranky) that I am

already scared just thinking about it, I think I will sit down in the bucket. Honestly though if the client

wasn't such a nice family I doubt I would attempt this, I would wait until Monday and call my friend that

has a cherry picker and advise the client it's the only way to proceed and that there is cost involved.

This client has become friends almost, so I feel I want to make the effort for them. Besides I have to

finish, I have commitments on Monday and I need paying. I broke my own rule for this client,

I normally take 50% deposit up front when I have supplied equipment, but I didn't feel the need

with this client as the equipment is used and they are known to me.

I understand that you may not be in a position to turn down certain work, but I think you will find over time that the "budget" jobs that are extremely cost-conscious are often the least rewarding overall.

Spending hours trying to figure out someone else's wiring and and work can be a frustrating and time-consuming process.

i went through 2 shirts on an install, its so darn hot.

sliced my leg open on a metal light that was leaning over on some boxes spliced into some high voltage wires just pushed into the sockets. Almost knocked myself out slapping my head so many times with the RG59 siamese ... and yeah pulled the ole back and neck and shoulders out again

But all in all I think I would take that over the cold livery stable

PS. might be coming to london for a few days for some non CCTV work, is it sort of cold there now?

It was a little warmer today Rory, of course London will be warmer still as it's not countryside and all the buildings

and people make for a slightly warmer climate. I am 200 miles from London but there is usually some syncopation

between there and here London always being slightly warmer. I hope you will enjoy London, I am originally from London and I am very proud of my home city. I do a lot of my work there and travel down about 3 times per month.

I understand that you may not be in a position to turn down certain work, but I think you will find over time that the "budget" jobs that are extremely cost-conscious are often the least rewarding overall.

Spending hours trying to figure out someone else's wiring and and work can be a frustrating and time-consuming process.

You are right about that, I always find that trying to save a client money always ends up costing me money, so I would not reduce the cost of either the equipment or my labour in fact I have factored in 10% contingency and always charge for sundries like cable etc. I also ask for 50% deposit. I will accept it up to 7 days before the job is scheduled to start. I like to include a day for commissioning and a days training for the DVR etc. I might drop the day training but they always come back to you a hundred times with questions so I am not sure it's worth it,

The client I was working for today, which ran over from Saturday is such an appreciative client, he even assisted me in some parts of the job and gave me £25.00 bonus at the end of the job. I improved the wiring of the original install. Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing the installer, just some of his practices were a little ropey.

With regard to siamese or shotgun cable I find it very tiring to work with especially on longer runs. This last job took nearly 95m of the stuff. My arms are dead now as my arms were way above my head literally all day. owwwwwwwww

The jobs I find most satisfying is when the client is really interested in what you are doing and asks questions as you go along. I know this irritates some people, but I don't mind so much.

Bro,

Nowsday makes money is not easy even us an sales satff need 24/7 to do this dirty job. but you are quite working hard and on your duty. I believe you would be successful in the coming days.

Go ahead.... " title="Applause" />

I did arrive on the jobsite early on Sunday and it was cold but not so bad that I

wasn't able to get moving. I wore my thermal underwear and hardly noticed the

cold and frost. The ground was quite slippery.

Oh believe me I worked hard all day Saturday and Sunday but I really enjoyed it.

Come to think of it, I always enjoy my job even if sometimes things are hard or

I am having difficulties, the feeling of overcoming problems is really satisfying.

On this last job, I was surrounded by horses which I really liked as I don't have

much opportunity to be around horses these days. This was a nice change.

Gotta say, you have your hands full with this one, been there done that!

The good thing is, any job you enjoy doing is really that bad and any job you have fun doing is even better!

Cheers,

The jobs I find most satisfying is when the client is really interested in what you are doing and asks questions as you go along. I know this irritates some people, but I don't mind so much.

when i was in primary school ('junior' school if you are american) whenever the people to do the alarms, emg lights, computers etc were in i used to ask if i could 'go to the toilet' and go and watch them/talk to them. they never seemed to mind and i probably learnt more from them in that half an hour of talking then i did from the classroom all day