pal251

Power over cat 5?

I see that some people run power over Cat 5 by doubling up 2 pairs of wires then running video off another pair off of the same cable. Wouldn't this possibly cause some video interference issue due to the power being so close to the video? I thought of doing this when I install my new cameras at home over the next few weeks but I think running separate power cables seem safer.

What do you think?

I see that some people run power over Cat 5 by doubling up 2 pairs of wires then running video off another pair off of the same cable. Wouldn't this possibly cause some video interference issue due to the power being so close to the video?

No.

Thanks Soundy,

I have been reading a lot of posts over the last few days and you have contributed a lot of worthwhile posts it seems.

Now if I am running a camera with built in IR like a dome or bullet cam with built in IR would the cat 5 be able to support the current draw because of the additional strain?

Sorry for the "newbie" post

I don't mind running the additional power wire because I may want to run a couple wires outside to hook up an external camera enclosure with heater and fan. It just appears to be easier to run the separate cable in my mind.

Is 18 gauge wire the standard wire?

I see that some people run power over Cat 5 by doubling up 2 pairs of wires then running video off another pair off of the same cable. Wouldn't this possibly cause some video interference issue due to the power being so close to the video?

No.

^^^ Wouldn't that depend on the type of cat5 & overall distance combined with the load of the cam???

Not such a yes or no is it?

I don't mind running the additional power wire because I may want to run a couple wires outside to hook up an external camera enclosure with heater and fan. It just appears to be easier to run the separate cable in my mind.

hi yes then if you are using housings with heaters and fans then you are best running extra power cable.

Thanks Soundy,

I have been reading a lot of posts over the last few days and you have contributed a lot of worthwhile posts it seems.

Now if I am running a camera with built in IR like a dome or bullet cam with built in IR would the cat 5 be able to support the current draw because of the additional strain?

That's a definite "it depends": depends on the voltage used (12 vs. 24), the current draw of the camera, and the distance involved. You can also use one pair for video, and three pairs for power, to get extra capacity.

Is 18 gauge wire the standard wire?

18/2 stranded is the most common used for camera power, but larger wire is sometimes used when longer runs or higher current are required. If I need to run separate power wire, I'll usually use station-Z, which is 22/4 (22 gauge, four conductors), just because it's more versatile wire (I've run a camera and power over this stuff too) and it helps to minimize the the number of boxes of cable I have to carry around.

No.

^^^ Wouldn't that depend on the type of cat5 & overall distance combined with the load of the cam???

No.

To this question... yes, the answer is "no".

No.

No.

To this question... yes, the answer is "no".

^^^^ Ok, your are saying that the NO, "Wouldn't this possibly cause some video interference issue due to the power being so close to the video?"

But in the other post in this thread you clearly state the informative reality the YES power can cause interference^^^

^^^^ Ok, your are saying that the NO, "Wouldn't this possibly cause some video interference issue due to the power being so close to the video?"

But in the other post in this thread you clearly state the informative reality the YES power can cause interference^^^

Are you sure about that?

What are you talking about? I'm just answering pal251's questions... Paulson seems to be reading something that isn't there.

No.

it depends on the parts used so the answer would still be no. take cat5 you could use 3 pair for 24v power only and the last pair you can run 2 cameras and also audio and data.

and you dont get interference issue. so the answer is no

it depends on the parts used so the answer would still be no. take cat5 you could use 3 pair for 24v power only and the last pair you can run 2 cameras and also audio and data.

and you dont get interference issue. so the answer is no

^^^^

Even not knowing the load, even a large load w/a heater/cam/wiper....

Even with out knowing the run, if it's on a pole he could be running 300, 1000, 2000 feet.....

So ( NO ) is correct not knowing these things?

^^^^

Even not knowing the load, even a large load w/a heater/cam/wiper....

Even with out knowing the run, if it's on a pole he could be running 300, 1000, 2000 feet.....

So ( NO ) is correct not knowing these things?

Yes.