videoVIP

Manufactured vs. Re-branded?

Earlier last week I installed a customer-supplied QSee system. I kinda laughed at the customer when they presented the system to me as if it were the best thing going (after installation I was kinda impressed with the GUI and quality).

The following day I purchased my first IC Realtime DVR. Mid-range unit (Flex), 2TB storage, etc. My cost was about four times what the QSee system sold for.

Well...I un-pack the IC Realtime unit and go to program it when I notice something very familiar...the VERY (EXACT) SAME GUI! Not sure if I should be pizzed, but I'm definitely confused. Am I paying 4x for re-branded QSee stuff or is IC Realtime using some form of universal GUI in their machines?

How to determine who is an actual manufacturer vs. who is a re-brander? I'd like to know that the company I'm purchasing from is the company that made the unit (or at least designed it).

hi. i think you are talking about the dahua. both q-see and IC use them. but as in IC case they are not rebranded dahua make to there spec same internals but the outer is made just for IC. so you will see an extra cost for buying white gray or black case.

price your unit against qvis.... only in black .

There are 2 models that look similar though, the Dahua LE-AS/AN and the LE-A

The LE-A has the HDMI output among other things.

It may seem similar and it is in many ways, but the LE-AS/AN is the budget Dahua unit and most likely what QSee would be selling.

I believe IC sells the HDMI model, which can cost a couple hundred more depending on where you buy it and how many channels it has.

now days mostly company is consign the OEM/ODM to the manufacturer in ASIA, such as in China, Taiwan, Korea. But you know if ever one need unique one UI (User inteface) it means needs huge man power in the software developer and engineer.

Do you know even Pelco, GE, Honywell.. also makes in ASIA. Some time it based one whose Brand Value, marketing cost and etc.

Yes, I realize everything is ultimately manufactured in China, Korea or Taiwan. However, I would prefer to deal only with companies who have a direct hand in the development/manufacture of a DVR/camera and not a company that simply slaps on their label, marks up the product and sends you on your way.