nscherneck

Network video design with fiber optic

Hi all,

I'm somewhat new to network video and have an application that I'd like opinions on. We're designing a campus video security system with fixed cameras throughout parking areas. We're involved in the design stage and are being asked to design the infrastructure. We've been asked to design using a separate physical network. We have four IDF locations each having 6-10 cameras homerun with fiber optic. Average distance is 500' for each camera. Questions:

1. Use multi-mode or single-mode fiber?

2. In the IDF, would you use media converters (FO-Ethernet) and patch in to an Ethernet switch or do away with the media converters and go straight to a fiber-ready switch (GBIC cards?).

3. Should we use fiber optic termination enclosures before patching in to media converters or fiber-ready switches?

Thanks in advance.

NS

Hi all,

I'm somewhat new to network video and have an application that I'd like opinions on. We're designing a campus video security system with fixed cameras throughout parking areas. We're involved in the design stage and are being asked to design the infrastructure. We've been asked to design using a separate physical network. We have four IDF locations each having 6-10 cameras homerun with fiber optic. Average distance is 500' for each camera. Questions:

1. Use multi-mode or single-mode fiber?

2. In the IDF, would you use media converters (FO-Ethernet) and patch in to an Ethernet switch or do away with the media converters and go straight to a fiber-ready switch (GBIC cards?).

3. Should we use fiber optic termination enclosures before patching in to media converters or fiber-ready switches?

Thanks in advance.

NS

(1) either type of cable will work at that distance, but more people are moving towards single-mode, due to it's higher capacity for expansion later (higher data rates)-although multimode is more forgiving when terminating, and multimode equipment is slightly cheaper.

(2) GBIC's are fine, no need for another piece of equipment in the rack.

(3) Always! there's just too much of a chance of damaging your trunk cable, requiring a new cable pull, rather than just replacing a patch jumper when someone breaks it.

Are you saying it's 500' from the IDF to each camera?

Being that it's a parking lot fiber would be the preferred method for lightening protection.

If it's a parking deck where lightening threats are minimal and the cameras are clustered in proximity of each other I wouldn't hesitate to run 1 cat6 and a 14-2 out to a common area and throw an industrial switch in and power it from the IDF with a 48 volt power supply.

I have done some parking decks where some of the cameras are 500' to 600' feet from the IDF and put a switch in a junction box at a half way point.

They make little 5 port switches with a gbic slot. I'll see if I can get the brand and model tomorrow.