Zohan

Running cat5e and 24v

Guys, in the A/V world running any signal wires and line voltage wiring together is a big no no.

On the surveillance side of things I need to know if it is ok to run a cat5e with an 18/2 of 24v alongside each other?

The reason for this is I want to put box cam in a enclosure that has heater/blower and also IR and it requires 24v. The cat5e will be for the camera with the balun at the ends....

thanks

Thanks Tom....

do you have any experience with an enclosure like that?

Would like to know if they will work good, think they do but any info is good info...thx

do you have any experience with an enclosure like that?

yes a few thousand in the early days thats all there was if you wanted to mount a camera outdoors. i would run your 18/2 for fan and heater and with your cat5 1 pair for video the rest split for camera power

Thank you.

Actually the balun I use provides power and video (head end)

http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/balun-vps.htm

camera end

http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev01p-vp-t.htm

so I dont have to split the cat, the balun does it for me

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the above is for analog cams

below is for ip box cams

Having a hard time deciding which is a better setup though, maybe you can shed some light

option 1

box cam in enclosure that is heated/blower and is poe for housing and also camera, so only need to run 1 cat5e

option 2

box cam in same type enclosure but also provides IR, but not poe so i'd need to run 1 cat for camera with 18/2 for enclosure

so 2 questions

1. is either option an advantage over the other?

2. if the cams im using have good specs should i not even worry about the IR enclosure and just use the heated enclosure?

the box analog cam has .00002 with true d/n ir cut filter...i realize the low sensitivity is a setting with the slow shutter speed

the ip cam only has sensitivity of .5, but also has true d/n ir cut filter...this is the one im more concerned with not seeing well in darkness

hi. i have never found the need to have heaters with MP cameras. unlike analog MP put out alot of heat so just a fan is needed for summer.

i like to keep camera power, and fan/heater/ IR seperated from each other.

Guys, in the A/V world running any signal wires and line voltage wiring together is a big no no.

This is true... however, few cameras actually run on line voltage.

On the surveillance side of things I need to know if it is ok to run a cat5e with an 18/2 of 24v alongside each other?

Absolutely. It's also okay to run the 24V on the Cat5.

The reason for this is I want to put box cam in a enclosure that has heater/blower and also IR and it requires 24v. The cat5e will be for the camera with the balun at the ends....

As Tom notes, the heater should not be needed. Depending on the current requirements of the enclosure, there should be no problem powering everything via the Cat5.

Either way, there's no issue with running low voltage along with the UTP. As we've covered before, the baluns create a balanced line that inherently rejects induced noise.

Well just as a reference I did a job with 25 Avigilon 5MP box cameras in heater/blower enclosures. The engineering department of the Hospital was responsible for the 18/2 and power supplies for the Heater/Blower.

That was a year ago and they have yet to hook up a single one to 24v and there hasn't been one problem down here in this swamp.

Thanks guys, helpful info but just to make clear....

This is a job where there will be both analog and ip box cams in enclosure.

So you are saying heater probably not needed for the ip cams, but yes for the analog cams?

i homerun all camera locations, i dont daisy chain mutliple cams on one cat5...each is homerun from balun unit at head end to single balun at camera end..cat5 plugs into balun and from balun to camera is bnc and power plug. so i cant run power for enclosure over the same cat..? Or while i was typing this i wonder if at the camera end coming out of balun can i use a 'y' power cable, one side to camera one side to enclosure?

Of course im talking analog cams here. with ip cam i was planning doing a poe switch so in that case i would need a separate wire for powering the enclosure.

There are several options here, i'm just trying to find the best one for the situation while keeping everything uniform