dfiver

Contol same PTZ with two DVRs

Hello,

Could I interface the same PTZ camera to a second DVR controller and control PTZ from both using RS-485 ?

Thanks,

df

Hello,

Could I interface the same PTZ camera to a second DVR controller and control PTZ from both using RS-485 ?

Thanks,

df

can you give a bit more detail in what you want to do, i guess you will be using a seperate dvr maybe hidden away as backup or remote dial in, and the main dvr as the connection when on site. what would be the point of not just hiding the main dvr, is this commercial or domestic.

Thanks for your reply, it is a commercial installation.

These analog PTZs are already cabled to a certain encoder and controlled by a DVR and working.

I have also installed a different brand encoder and DVR with some other features.

I have connected the BNC in parallel and I have picture OK. I would also need to control this from the new encoder/DVR. How can I connect the new encoder to the existing RS-485 connection and have both controlling the PTZ at the same time.

Thans again.

df

Thanks for your reply, it is a commercial installation.

These analog PTZs are already cabled to a certain encoder and controlled by a DVR and working.

hi. i dont understand the encoder part ...... is this there to control the ptz over the network ??? or is it something like a manchester box (used if ptz has no pelco protocol)

I have also installed a different brand encoder and DVR with some other features.

why another encoder ??? can you list all equipment you have make and model.

Thanks for your reply.

The new encoder is there to provide access from the Internet.

The existing one will be used for inhouse surveillance.

We need to keep both, and both of them have RS485 connections.

Thanks,

df

The existing one will be used for inhouse surveillance.

just the 1 encoder is all you needed.

are you not viewing all your cameras over the network ?

Well, yes one would usually be enough.

The new encoders have some extra features, or let's say are used by a different group of people monitoring the same cameras. We are required to add the new and keep the old one as well, and try to control PTZ from both systems.

Thanks again.

Who is "requiring" this? If the new encoders do something the old ones don't, then ditch the old ones and just use the new ones.

Who is "requiring" this? If the new encoders do something the old ones don't, then ditch the old ones and just use the new ones.
The new encoders have some extra features, or let's say are used by a different group of people monitoring the same cameras. We are required to add the new and keep the old one as well, and try to control PTZ from both systems.

dfiver. i dont understand the reason for the encoders. is the encoder there JUST to view the ptz camera over the internet. nothing else no dvr or any other images ???? is this right. (your customer cant view dvr)

The new encoders + new DVR are there to view and control the analog PTZ from the Internet.

The old encoders + old DVR will remain for inhouse use. The PTZs are currently cabled to the old ones via RS-485.

We need to cable the same PTZs to the new encoders as well.

Thanks, again.

The new encoders + new DVR are there to view and control the analog PTZ from the Internet.

hi that is what we dont understand...... you dont need the encoder to do that. just run the new dvr rs485 to the rs 485 on the head side of the encoder.

this then gives you control on dvr and over the internet. if dvr is on the network.

are you using a DVR or a NVR. (are your other cameras analog or ip ?)

could you post the encoder details and dvr details so as everyone reading this knows whats doing what that way we can get a better understanding of the requiremtns once we can read/view more info on the system.

All cameras are analog.

I am introducing an NVR (not DVR, sorry for the confusion I have caused) + encoder that has an RS-485 interface.

Are you suggesting that I should daisy chain the new to the old, just making sure they have different ids ?

Thanks.

dfiver. you hear lots of people complaing about how bad some customer services tech support are. people say they never pick up the phone when you call them. this is because they have just had a problem like yours and they have left there office to go and find a dog to kick.

what stared out as Contol same PTZ with two DVRs is not the case. encoder and nvr you would not use rs485 on the NVR it is done via the software.

i think before anyone can help you will have too list the following.

dvr

nvr

encoders

are you looking to view all cameras and ptz on the same screen via internet ??? and have control

If I follow this correctly...

You have PTZ cameras that connect to an IP encoder that supports RS-485 control output as well as video input. That encoder is then being recorded by an NVR on site.

You now want people to be able to view and control the cameras from a remote location over the internet.

If this is the case, you DO NOT need a second NVR *or* encoder - you just need to give the remote users access to the existing NVR and/or encoder via the internet connection. If the existing NVR has an internet connection, then all you need to do is set up the proper access controls and/or port forwarding - everything else is already in place.

Gentlemen, you are right, normally you would not use a new NVR - however this is the situation. There are reasons that I cannot giveaway really.

If it was an IP PTZ you would be able to control it with the software, but this is an analog PTZ, don't you need RS-485 ?

Thanks.

Why can't you just have both NVRs connected the same encoder then? The encoder is already providing your RS-485 control, so why duplicate the effort?

The new NVR is a different brand and does not support the original encoder.

Thanks again.

so after reading this next bit of the thread i gather the new encoder is needed to be connected to the original ptz and setup as that ptz's protocol, ie vcl/pelco/bbv etc. can you confirm 2 things are the ptz's actaul box camera type ptz's with large motors, or dome type ptz's

The original installation is as shown in the previous posts' diagram.

To this,

an new encoder is added connecting to the loop thru of the first encoder via BNC.

This new encoder is viewed by a new NVR.

The PTZs in question are outdoor Dome PTZ.

Thanks.

Does the old NVR not support the new encoder? If it does, just replace the encoder. Or spec a different NVR for the new installation, something that DOES support the old encoder.

See, it IS possible to use two encoders, but it will cost an extra $100-$200 to do it properly... and the thing is, once the signal (both video and PTZ) is on the network via the encoder, you can have as many DVRs, NVRs, or remote viewers/controllers as you want WITH NO EXTRA HARDWARE NEEDED. Using a second encoder is an unneeded expense and additional complexity.

dfiver. to be honest i dont even think you know what you need never mind anyone else.

3 times you have been asked to list your equipment ..... this is importent to give you an idea.

make and model and software used

you hear lots of people complaing about how bad some customer services tech support are. people say they never pick up the phone when you call them. this is because they have just had a problem like yours and they have left there office to go and find a dog to kick.