Firefighter

Thought about starting a company selling Security cameras/eq

Hope this thread is ok. Since Im a active member and still enjoying the forum.

Anyway, Was talking with someone and they mentioned that I should

start an online Security business selling cameras, equipment etc....

I love security stuff, and have my own system of course being a member here...

Just not sure, feel like there are already tons of other websites.

Though I feel I could provide an edge others dont have. Anyway,

This is just random thoughts.... Who knows. Anyone else here ever wanted to?

When i'm not working fulltime as a firefighter I have my own photography business.

But with technology, cell phones and the Huge increase in cheap powerful cameras

I'm just not thinking I'm going to be able to do this. Im mean, Ive done weddings, and everything else. But idk....

Anyway, Just my random thought for the day.

What is your ultimate goal?

Do you want to sit back and watch the orders roll in on a box pushing website?

Do you want to provide some level of service to your customers?

Will you offer technical assistance for both pre and post sales?

Do you have a list of quality products and reliable suppliers line up?

Though I feel I could provide an edge others dont have. Anyway,

This is just random thoughts.... Who knows. Anyone else here ever wanted to?

What's your edge? Supply never struck me as a good business. There are enough rebranders out there to satisfy the market. Someone else will always have a lower bottom line than you. Makes it tough to compete. There could be something in installing, but I'm sure you'd get an earful about how tough that game is too. But I'd guess that it's easy enough for the average joe to buy the gear. Not so installing it all. Could be something there if you have it in you. Good luck.

Mind you, This was just a thought. But

Ultimate goal? To be able to provide Good to High End Security Products for personal and commercial customers whith excellent customer service.

I do want to provide some level of service, Education beforehand in making a formative decision in purchasing a Security System. Theres SO much crap... Which is why we have forums to help learn....

Pre/post sales. Yes, Videos in aiding the purchase of their fitted security system.

post, Videos aiding in DIY installs, I have a friend who is a licensed electrician and alrdy installs/sells security systems/cameras. (his own company) I could partner with him for Installation. Hes approved)

I dont yet, Of course. Because like I said its just a thought.

But Yes, I would.

And another thing would be, Every Product/Camera would have a Video sample of a "Test Session" (also a review)

So basically something alot like 123securityproducts, Surveillance-video, and hundreds others

If you are going to do it, do it because you like it .. thats all

what I see the need for from these forums is a solution for the DIY market. everyone wants quality stuff for $500-600 and it's just not possible, put together a product in this range and push it hard.

for example, maybe 4 decent analog cameras (expandable to 8 or more) with an IP encoder hooked into a home router and using someones home computer (or old computer) as an NVR running some cheap or free (they exist) recording software. this eliminates the need to buy a dedicated overpriced proprietary dvr and eliminates the need for some type of encoder card in the computer. i don't know what the cost would be sitting at, but the goal would be to spend the majority of the budget on better cameras and save on back end wherever possible.

might not be worth your time profit wise once you put the system together and try to get it the right price point where you can move it.

for example, maybe 4 decent analog cameras (expandable to 8 or more) with an IP encoder hooked into a home router and using someones home computer (or old computer) as an NVR running some cheap or free (they exist) recording software. this eliminates the need to buy a dedicated overpriced proprietary dvr and eliminates the need for some type of encoder card in the computer. i don't know what the cost would be sitting at, but the goal would be to spend the majority of the budget on better cameras and save on back end wherever possible.

Looked at all that already, its cheaper to buy a small stand alone DVR now.

i even tried the $7 USB capture from amazon .. LOL .. no comments

Time to repurpose the old gunsmith joke:

Q: How do you make a small fortune in the security cam biz?

A: Start with a large fortune!

lol ^^

Yeah, The more I thought about it, I would want a DIY Security site.

Focused on equipment and stuff for the DIY.

If I could put together a package, Yeah it might be a shot. But idk.

I mean, The system I have, (4) 420tvl, dvr and screen sells for $600-900.

When the cameras cost like $24... I mean Before I knew anything about

Security I thought had a good setup. ( Lucky I payed WAY less, got a hook up )

But, I would think for $600 I could put together a 4 cam setup, 600 tvl. and a dvr for

$400. But that leaves me with $200 profit. If it sold enough I guess it would be worth it....

But I think the site would be as much educational as it would be supply of items...

Which, Maybe is a different type of site than what is out there now.

Edit: As a quick package:

(4) 600 TVL 3.6MM Dome Indoor/Outdoor 12LED Cameras

8Ch DVR H.264 120FPS recording Internet etc.....

Wiring incld...

That package cost about $300... Add $200. $500.... With that being absolute base...

I mean, It'd def a much better system than I have now and cost the same....

But of course none of it's Brand Name per say....

so eh.

If you are going to sell DIY might also be worthwhile having an installer list incase the clients want to pay for certain services. Also try get a % out of the installs maybe.

I would think for $600 I could put together a 4 cam setup, 600 tvl. and a dvr for

$400. But that leaves me with $200 profit.

with that sort of profit can and will leed to problems. for you to make the kit for $400 it is going to be very basic low quality. your prifit can go quick.

1, your customer is not happy so returns. you then have a secondhand unit which costs you $400

you need good quality equipment. you dont want returns and you dont want equipment to fail befor the warranty is out.

selling is hard a lot of money to buy in the first stock. unless you can buy from the likes of CNB direct where you get 5 years warrany (and you only need to pass 2 years of that to your customer) then it is going to be hard.

your a Firefighter use your skills along side cctv i will pm you a idea (you could be selling by monday) see what you think.

Be different .. dont sell kits.

Setup a web application that lets them choose the camera per location type and needs etc ..

One thing I hate is the sites with a list of features on the left you have to click through to narrow your search .. maybe do something different.

I'm not actually going to make a site. Its just ideas. I have prolly 30 other ideas for business so its just talk fyi.

I mean, I wouldnt mind. I'd actually love it.

But working Full time, (48-72hrs a week) picking up another job (Lowes I hope) and I also work for a 2nd fire dept part time.

(id be leaving for lowes) so I stay kinda busy. O yeah doesnt include my photography business which is slow... because I just can't advertise.

No money for it.

Ugh. lol

But yeah. I really don't see it happening. If I actually made a diy site, I couldn't do packages. Pretty much plain and simple.

At least not for so cheap. those prices were crap on ebay....

Gah Id love to do it though....

if you live in the US or Canada here is an easy way to legally make money with little work and expense LOL

fill out online surveys, businesses have tons of money for advertising and they pay for surveys, though they generally want people located in North america so it makes it hard for people like me, even though we use everything you guys do.

Find the ones that pay average $4 a survey, you can get anywhere from 1-5 of them a day to fill out, and then sign up for more than one survey site. Seriously although $4-20 a day doesnt sound like much, could do it while sitting outside MacDonalds for example, or in Starbucks, or wherever.

Most need a street address to verify you are in North America, and only 1 per account.

But hey lets say you had 10 accounts with the same or different sites, $40-$200 per day??

Hey is just an idea but the $4 surveys are in fact real .. i tried but being outside North America I could not do it .. now see why I feel no pity for poor people in the US who get not only welfare and handouts from their government well beyond anything most other countries do, but they also have chances like this and many many more to make money, Money, MONEY!

Forget the ppc etc sites though .. waste of time and money, like 0.001 cents per click .. maybe get a couple a day LOL.

Seriously if I was in the US I would be a freaking billionaire by now.

5 years ago I would already have had several online stores selling products drop shipped all over the place, all different designs and names .. and just pulling in the cash - I have a paypal account right now and I cant even take a meisly little $75 out of it until I get a US CC or a US Social Security number, and the intl account charges huge fees and still asks for a US credit card, which essentially needs a .. US Address!

Anyway, the opportunities are endless .. like nike said .. just do it.