rory

Plasma TVs and CCTV

does any one know what the quality is on todays Plasmas using RCA in?

I have tried it on a 5 year old Fujitsu Plasma and quality was like it is on a LCD monitor, very bad, compared to a CCTV monitor. Has the technology gotten better in this respect, and are there particular types of plasmas to use to get the best quality? Im talking CCTV not PC monitor.

Thanks

Rory

Large LCDs are double the price. I have client who has had her Plasmas for more than 6 years now, no problems, she has 11 in total, different brands. But they are old technology and the quality is bad with CCTV cameras.

I am selling the 15" LCD monitor with 500TVL from Kalatel, but its not cheap like a CRT.

LCDs don't burn-in at all due to the way they are manufactured and their technology, although the CRTs these days don't offen suffer from burn-in much either. The main issue with LCDs are "dead pixels". These are pixels that don't function and can not be repaired. Often these are not even covered under warranty and are just something that any user must accept with an LCD. Apart from that drawback, LCDs are almost supreme in every other way to CRTs: lower power usage, lack of magnetic interference, no screen flicker and obviously size and weight.

Give LCDs a short time longer and all the other issues relating to slower update times, colour capabilities etc. will likely be equal or supreme to CRTs.

Having said that, some LCDs can still suffer from being used for extensive periods of time, especially on the same image. Though this comes down to LCD quality, not burn-in or anything like that which CRTs suffer from.

yep, except to get a high quality image on a LCD, you need to spend 3-4 times as much as a CRT, and if its a large LCD, you can expect to spend double the price of a Plasma, in most cases, in the US at least.

Most computer LCDs are no good for CCTV comp video, the quality is just not there, unless you spend the extra cash and get the best out there. Dell has a very high crisp monitor, $900 though, same as a CCTV LCD monitor.

Having said my speel about LCD.. back to the Plasma issue.

Plasmas also use phosphor technology the same as CRTs. Pixels each contain a red, green and blue light source. So when a pixel remains on the same image for a long time and is continually activated the blue light source begins to age prematurely due to its shorter life span. This then generates a yellowish tinge which gives the "etched" or burnt-in appearance.

So should you have a stable image for long periods of time, then unless you have money to blow on beautiful flat screens on Plasmas then I would definately recommend against them. LCD will be the future of displays as the technology becomes more widely used and cheaper.

But if you are intent on using plasmas, then find a DVR with a non-blue gui software to at least try to extend the life of your screen :P

Just another option for "high-end" applications. We found that if your ambient light is low enough in the viewing area, it actually is better bang for the buck to go with a HDTV projector. They have really come down in price and talk about a great size picture!

As a summary, LCD does NOT burn in, Plasma DOES burn in over time. If you have to use plasma, some have a sort of pixel shift mechanism built in to reduce the possibility of burn in. Another thing you may look at is multiple LCD monitors. Another good bang for the buck.

Some good news here, i have a client that is interested in setting up a business here, in conjunction with a US home theatre company, who also manufacturers Plasmas & LCDs, for home theatre and CCTV, all high end only. So will be some good stuff if we finalise it and do start it up Full showroom etc. They will have to train me in the home theatre as I dont know much about that area.

Some good news here, i have a client that is interested in setting up a business here, in conjunction with a US home theatre company, who also manufacturers Plasmas & LCDs, for home theatre and CCTV, all high end only. So will be some good stuff if we finalise it and do start it up Full showroom etc. They will have to train me in the home theatre as I dont know much about that area.

If you need info on the home theater business, my company did high end low voltage and home theater for the last 6 years.