Sign in to follow this  
crow

cctv cable instalation, whats the best way to run the cables

if you are fitting a cctv dvr system with 4 to 8 cameras on a large house

and the dvr is going in a room downstairs

how would you go about installing all the wires to the dvr

do you install the wires all on the outside of the house and run the cable down the wall and then drill 4 to 8 holes for the cable to get to the dvr

cheers

without seeing the layout. hard to say. but you always spend time planning your cable runs.

does the house have a basement ??? cables down the outside need so sort of protection ..... we have used dummy drain pipes before now. but i would also look at using cat5 you will only need 1 for 4 cameras or 2 for 8 cameras and use 4 or 8 way baluns in the roof space.

Try to keep your cams to your eves. Once you get the wires to the eve, feeding them is a breeze. If you only have 2 eves, consider running 1" conduit (painted?) up the 2 sides of the house to the eves, or if you have eves all the way around, just run 1 1" conduit up the outside to the eve & go from there....

* When feeding you can easily run 8 bcn/power coax up the 1" conduit, just step tape them*

If it's your first pro set-up & the wires are provided, and long enough, then stick with them for ease.

Always consider a remote location of your DVR, google an IR/Video over cat5. Then you can place where ever safely & just run 1 cat5 cable to your tv....

Most good DVR's will have least 2 video outputs, so for your home, your can use 2 IR/Video over cat5, one for your living room, one for bedroom.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. If you don't feel it's worth the money, consider a scrap yard that just had their safe stolen, the perps also took their dvr....

if you cant come right out the eave or wall to the camera then you could also use wire mold and paint it the color of the house.

thanks for the sugestions

i think the easyest for me is to use shotgun rg59 and run all the wires into the loft then out onto the outside wall and down to where the dvr is located

and then use some 1" conduit or wire mold down the outside wall

i think im better using metal conduit as it would be a bit more theft resistant

i have found this

http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/product/!!GC37!!/A006004/Electrical%20Supplies/Conduit%20/%20PVC%20&%20Steel%20Conduit/Steel%20Channel/Galvanised%20Steel%20Channel%2037mm%202m

any better sugestions

can the wires be run from the loft internaly to the dvr room

or do the wires have to go onto the outside wall?

cheers