anniegmail

what's the future of DVR cards and software

Nowadays, more and customers are interested in IP solutions. What's the future of DVR cards?

hybrid systems still use them so will still be around for a long time

long term they'll eventually disappear, what's left of analog will be stuck on IP encoders.

i'd be surprised if people were still installing any analog systems in 10 years, but the lifetime cycle of those currently in place is a long time and they'll be serviced for a long time, so for the next 20-30 years or more we should still be able to find them everywhere.

within 10 years analog and IP will be gone, there will be something new as both are old technology.

Nowadays, more and customers are interested in IP solutions. What's the future of DVR cards?

hybrid systems still use them so will still be around for a long time

but will you still add analog products more in this hybrid system?

long term they'll eventually disappear, what's left of analog will be stuck on IP encoders.

i'd be surprised if people were still installing any analog systems in 10 years, but the lifetime cycle of those currently in place is a long time and they'll be serviced for a long time, so for the next 20-30 years or more we should still be able to find them everywhere.

that is to say, out of the lifetime cycle, people will keep the analog products, and just as tomcctv referred that they will exist in the system of hybrid. But anyway, nobody will choose to add analog products any more? How about the SDI system?

within 10 years analog and IP will be gone, there will be something new as both are old technology.

yeah, can not agree with you more. The progress of technology is sooo fast. Just as the guy who bought computer in “The Onion Movie"

that is to say, out of the lifetime cycle, people will keep the analog products, and just as tomcctv referred that they will exist in the system of hybrid. But anyway, nobody will choose to add analog products any more? How about the SDI system?

Even if analog products are added for whatever special case, they'll be put on ip encoders (video servers) and networked into a pure IP NVR. There won't be any DVR's or DVR cards involved with the system.

Instead the cameras will be connected to one of these: http://www.axis.com/products/video/video_server/ and connected into the network like any normal IP camera.

We're already seeing a lot of this now. Add 100 cameras, take over the existing analog with video servers, get rid of the DVR's.

Built in 4g wireless connectivity (or 14g by then) hooked into the cloud, no wiring, no onsite storage or servers, just a web interface somewhere to view everything right?

now to solve that pesky power problem...

The problem I have with IP cameras is that the software vendors want to charge per camera - like a troll on a toll bridge, they want their cut. Sort of like big oil wanting to control hydrogen. They're ok with new technology as long as they find a way to get their cut.

Built in 4g wireless connectivity (or 14g by then) hooked into the cloud, no wiring, no onsite storage or servers, just a web interface somewhere to view everything right?

Not everywhere has working 4g, not even in North America

And most still wont trust their data to the "cloud"

Also recall CCTV = Close Circuit Television - not wireless

Although this thread is not about CCTV but rather DVR cards and software, so you could be right.

The problem I have with IP cameras is that the software vendors want to charge per camera - like a troll on a toll bridge, they want their cut. Sort of like big oil wanting to control hydrogen. They're ok with new technology as long as they find a way to get their cut.

hmm, why would software vendors give YOU software for free ?

I see free software with ads taking over ... if it hasnt already

the US economy meltdown due to credit will only get worse

eventually people will stop their blatent use of credit cards so paid software will die

as microsoft's OS gets worse and worse (eg win8 tablet OS), that will go a different direction

eventually microsoft will loose the market and a free OS will take over

the Mac OS will be a thing of the past way before microsoft is

mac will be selling hardware for any OS .. to compete

eventually we will be using DOS again as the new OS needs a faster and faster computer

and due to economy issues people just wont be able to afford the new 32 core computers needed for those OS ...

we will eventually be back to using the typewriter ...

sorry if i skipped a few dozen decades

Not everywhere has working 4g, not even in North America

And most still wont trust their data to the "cloud"

Also recall CCTV = Close Circuit Television - not wireless

Although this thread is not about CCTV but rather DVR cards and software, so you could be right.

that's how it is NOW... 10 years from now... or 20 years... 4g, or it's predecessor, will be better (my city was the first to get it, network is decent here), people might like the cloud, cost of a closed system compared to a potential security breach on the "cloud" might make people more favorable of it. I'm not in anyway saying it's going this way, I'm just saying it's a future possibility.

But anyway, nobody will choose to add analog products any more? How about the SDI system?

SDI was implemented for CCTV largely to take advantage of existing analog infrastructure - unplug analog cameras and DVRs from their coax cables, plug in SDI equipment. Problem is, it's still point-to-point, one camera per wire, every wire has to go back to the DVR's location.

With new installations, if you use SDI, you're still stuck running one new coax wire back to the same location for every camera, and that's essentially all that wire will ever be useful for... short of using IP-over-coax adapters, but then that's an extra expense. It makes far more design sense to just use the same UTP (Cat5/6) everywhere, giving you nearly infinite possibilities for infrastructure configurations.

hmm, why would software vendors give YOU software for free ?

I wouldn't want them to give me software for free. But I am dead set against pay-per-use software. If I buy it, why do they care about how many cameras I connect? Would you buy Microsoft office if they charged you for each document you edited? Of course not. When I buy a microwave oven, they don't charge me more if I use it 3 times a day versus 1 time a day.

It costs no more to develop and distribute software that works with 4 cameras than it does with 32 cameras. Granted there are performance issues and optimizations that have to be made to make software reliable at the higher load level but my argument is supported by the fact that vendors don't sell a separate, less-costly-to-develop version of software if I buy for 4 cameras. They sell the same version as they provide for 32 cameras but with a throttled license key. That means that large users are actually supplementing the purchase cost of small users.

I'd be perfectly willing to pay $300, $400, even $500 dollars for recording software. But to have to pay another hundred or so dollars to the software vendor every time I buy a camera is ludicrous.

eventually we will be using DOS again

I long for that day. Actually, the best OS Microsoft ever created, in my opinion, was Windows 95. I ran Windows 95 on 4MB of RAM and 20MB of hard disk. Of course to make it really usable I had to upgrade to a 120 MB hard drive and 8MB of RAM. And considering that, from an UI perspective, everything up through XP was still pretty close to W95, it really was the best.

Actually, the best OS Microsoft ever created, in my opinion, was Windows 95.

That's like saying an Edsel is a better Ford than a Pinto A Ford is still a Ford - Found On Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily, etc. Windows 95 (and 98, and ME) weren't truly operating systems; they were task switchers with a fancy GUI that still ran on top of DOS.

While everyone else was waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for Windows 95 to come out, we were running a four-line BBS on a 386 with 4MB RAM using IBM OS/2... remember that? That's what Windows was supposed to be before Microsoft decided IBM wasn't making it pretty enough, went out on their own, and created a fancy shell and task-switcher that still sat on top of DOS, rather an actually making a proper multitasking replacement for DOS. OS/2 did things in 1995 that Microsoft still hasn't figured out how to do.

Windows 3.x was that - a task switcher on top of DOS - but W95 was an OS of its own. Of course, at the same time, NT4 was a good alternative but its memory requirements were higher.

Windows 3.x was that - a task switcher on top of DOS - but W95 was an OS of its own. Of course, at the same time, NT4 was a good alternative but its memory requirements were higher.

even though win95 handled everything itself, it was still 100% tied to DOS and couldn't do anything without executing DOS first in order to maintain 16-bit backwards compatibility. Pretty poor way to go about it.

even though win95 handled everything itself, it was still 100% tied to DOS and couldn't do anything without executing DOS first in order to maintain 16-bit backwards compatibility. Pretty poor way to go about it.

Poor or not it worked, and millions of people used it and loved it

^Most of them used it because it came pre-loaded on their PCs thanks to Microsoft's per-CPU licensing agreements.

And anyway, Windows 98 was worlds better than 95.

Ofcourse, that too

Yep 98 came with IE4 integrated.

I used ME though for years after that, which in my case worked better than 98, even ran PWS on it which MS claimed would not work. Some I heard hated it and had issues, but I never had any issues and it worked better than all the 98 machines I have used, had dozens of clients with ME that never had problems. I didnt even switch to XP until SP1 was released, and not fully until SP2 was released which then made it worth it. Since then the rest is history.

That said I deal with a client now who uses Azbar for their nightclubs and bars, but all their stuff are old boards from like 20 years, its pure DOS software for the programming and reports. Wont run on XP without a chip upgrade and then its still the DOS software. For them to replace the machines its I think $6K each, some clubs have dozens of them, and they just wont do it. But now they are gonna have to, they cant find anyone that can still work with 98 like me LOL .. and im declining to work with that anymore, just too much headache at least when it comes to drivers and hardware.

I see free software with ads taking over ... if it hasnt already

the US economy meltdown due to credit will only get worse

eventually people will stop their blatent use of credit cards so paid software will die

as microsoft's OS gets worse and worse (eg win8 tablet OS), that will go a different direction

eventually microsoft will loose the market and a free OS will take over

the Mac OS will be a thing of the past way before microsoft is

mac will be selling hardware for any OS .. to compete

eventually we will be using DOS again as the new OS needs a faster and faster computer

and due to economy issues people just wont be able to afford the new 32 core computers needed for those OS ...

we will eventually be back to using the typewriter ...

sorry if i skipped a few dozen decades

Very prophetic indeed Rory. It is already heading this way. Linux is making great strides in providing a functional desktop and it is my OS of choice. I can drop into the terminal and relive those good old DOS days. Truthfully, I enjoyed computing far more in the days of the C64 and DOS than I do now, but I think the good old days are coming back as people wont have money for all the fluff that is Windows and most OEM system. It is already starting to show. With a Windows PC you need to buy virus scanner updates regularly, with each update Windows expands like a gas and consumes more system resources just for the OS forcing an ealry upgrade well before the end of system life. It is a rediculous cycle to say the least. At least in Linux, I can use a 10 year old computer easily and still play some decent 3D games. I can even leave out the entire GUI desktop and run it all from the CLI (the best way to run a Zoneminder system for CCTV). While it is possible to receive a virus on Linux, it is far more difficult and you have to login as root or run it as super user to do much damage. ClamAV is good at detecting most of the rare Linux virii out there and finds most of the Windows variety as well.

Mac is overpriced for what the consumer gets. I am also not a big fan of the Iphone, Ipod or Ipad. Apple is luring it's customers into the same MS upgrade trap to get the latest an greatest. When I used smart phones, I preferred Android. It is far more customizable than any Apple OS can ever be. Most of the customers do not realize that the Apple OS is a modied BSD. One of the other open source OS's out there with similarities to Linux.

While many move to tablets and lap tops, I will be sticking with the good old fashioned more functional desktop. The cloud is for the birds. Will never use it or trust it. lol