shockwave199

CNB ptz

Thanks to Tom for recommending cnb ptz's. I've narrowed it down to this one to recommend to my employer-

http://www.cnbtec.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1398

One question. This spec-

Electronic Sensitivity-up (DSS), TDN(ICR), OSD

Is that kinda the equivilent of IR? I mean, can that produce a decent image on a pretty dark area while zoomed into it, almost approximating the illumination of IR. Or maybe even better? Why would this camera need TDN- just to be compatable with external IR support? I know these are probably very sensitive cameras and will probably provide excellent low light images. But in some areas we have, it's pretty damn dark and I don't know when or if extra security lighting or even IR would be installed. So that spec, sens up, I'm hopeful helps a great deal to aid a very good picture in very low light outdoors. One of these would cover a well lit parking area, one would have some light but also cover dark areas at farther distances, zoomed in. Thanks for any clarification.

Dan

Is that kinda the equivilent of IR? I mean, can that produce a decent image on a pretty dark area while zoomed into it, almost approximating the illumination of IR. Or maybe even better?

It will not see in pitch black or real dark areas. Although its pretty good in low light it wont see in the dark. You will need external illuminators if you want to see as good as IR

Why would this camera need TDN- just to be compatable with external IR support?

To block out IR during the day to get more true colors. And to let it in at night to get optimal nighttime picture quality and/or to use with external IR's.

"DSS" stands for "digital slow shutter"... slower shutter allows more light but also results in more motion blur.

Color cameras add the IR cut filter in the first place to prevent naturally-occurring IR light from adversely affecting exposure and color balance. When a TDN camera goes to night mode and switches to B&W, color balance isn't an issue, so it flips out the cut filter to take advantage of any ambient IR for better exposure. This is not "kinda the equivalent of IR" - functionally, IR illuminators are doing the same thing as adding a security floodlight, they're just using a spectrum that falls outside the range of human perception.

Dan, don't know why it took you so long to get to CNB. It's referred to constantly on this forum.

You might want to look at the problem of AMP modules. Do CNB PTZs use AMP modules and are these modules interchangeble within the range?

Good grief, what do I know. I just tried to narrow down good cameras to suggest. The installer will have to work that out. In fact he's doing a camera demo for us next week but I hear he's not a fan of ptz. I just wanted to input a ptz choice. I'm hopeful we get at least one, or two as I suggested. We'll see.

I settled in on cnb, but I'm not of the mindset that everything not name brand is rubbish. I have a number of budget cameras giving me excellent results on my home install. So some of those auto tracking ptz's- domless IR type still interest me. But I'd have to conceid taking a shot on them on my own dime in my system, not recommend them to my employer. But if I like one of them in the future and it proves a good camera, then I can recommend one with more confidence.

Thank you for the pictures. Is that just guts, or do you have the whole assembly? Then you'd know if it's the ones that have the eyeball domeless ptz with IR type. There seems to be a number of them out there.

Thanks too for the spectra rec. That's one I didn't know of. I'll add it to the short list. I would think if the installer has any recommendation, it would be a pelco ptz anyway. We'll see. I found this video demo of the thing both interesting and a little amusing.

QtpYawPcHZY

Now I have to source the best place to buy this one, and the cnb. Thanks again.

Dan

Seconded for the Spectra - we've got Spectra IVs, IIIs, and even IIs that have been running flawlessly in the field for years. These things never need servicing other than maybe cleaning the bubble. Most of them are running tours or patterns constantly as well. I have beefs with several of Pelco's designs, but their PTZs (including the Esprits) are pretty damn near bulletproof.

That is awesome guys. Thanks so much for the rec on that- especially you soundy. That's a solid rec on performance. I see they ain't cheap though! You DO get what you pay for!