As a former support guy for 15+ years, I love systems that 'just work' like fat kids love cake.....

I've got no beef with Avigilon whatsoever, nor with their fanboys. There is a lot to like.

That said, comparing a 'closed' system like Avigilon to an innately 'open' system like Ocularis in relation to 'just working' is like comparing apples to doorknobs. Closed systems only have to work with native components, while open systems have to work with 'whatever'. I'm no coder, but I imagine it is substantially easier to make software that doesn't have to 'talk' to anything outside of it's own family.

@zellbuy: seriously? this is your biggest comparison complaint between the 2 systems? Ocularis platform naming conventions are too difficult for end-users to comprehend? that's funny

As a former support guy for 15+ years, I love systems that 'just work' like fat kids love cake.....

I've got no beef with Avigilon whatsoever, nor with their fanboys. There is a lot to like.

That said, comparing a 'closed' system like Avigilon to an innately 'open' system like Ocularis in relation to 'just working' is like comparing apples to doorknobs. Closed systems only have to work with native components, while open systems have to work with 'whatever'. I'm no coder, but I imagine it is substantially easier to make software that doesn't have to 'talk' to anything outside of it's own family.

@zellbuy: seriously? this is your biggest comparison complaint between the 2 systems? Ocularis platform naming conventions are too difficult for end-users to comprehend? that's funny

Marty keep in mind we are here just for fun

Nobody is attacking Ocularis

for what I want or can say I am too lazy to type

Just some of us doing this for numbers of years finally got new comfort level

which is not taking more time from our families

I would love to talk to you on the phone if u want

Thx

Alex

ak357: no worries.... I am not defending Ocularis. I never took anyone's comments as an attack.

Whenever someone tells me that one thing is 'better' than another, I always wonder exactly what that means - and ease of use is a valid viewpoint.

note: I am one of the most 'unserious' guys on the planet. After years in support, you either develop a thick skin and a well-defined sense of humor or the frustrations of the job dealing with end-users will make you want to go on a murderous rampage of annihilation ....

I'm not in sales - people should use whatever the hell they want to

What Windows services does Ocularis need besides IIS? Is there a quick install guide?

Any Windows components required are part of the dependencies included in the installation package. IIS, SQL 2008 R2, various Visual C++ entries, etc are all included. The only thing you might need to install yourself is MS .Net 3.5 for PS, IS and CS - and .Net 4.0 for ES.

Installation and Licencing Guide is here (not exactly a 'quick-start' doc): http://onssi.com/downloads/manuals/Ocularis_2.0.2/Ocularis_Installation_and_Licensing_Guide.pdf

I've got another document, but I left the thumb drive it's on in my classroom I'll check it tomorrow and see if it might work better for you....

I didn't know Avigilon was considered a "Closed" system considering it started life without it's own Native cameras and still supports hundreds of third party cameras. But with the pricing structure of their cameras and encoders there really isn't a reason to look at other cameras. Their 5mp camera is competitive in price with other 1 to 1.3mp cameras.

Their 4 channel encoder only requires 1 license and the price of the encoder is less than other single channel encoders.

As far as their VMS, I look at it like comparing a Iphone to an Android phone. The Iphone may not do every single thing a Android phone can but it has no bugs and a cave man can operate it.

Just my humble opinion.