scrimshaw

Help with Long Range Security Cam Setup

I have a 150 acre farm and want to install long range security cams for security and outdoor viewing purposes (whitetail deer monitoring--during daylight and night time).

I'm not sure if it's even possible or practical, but is it possible to run a 8-16 cam system at distances that might reach 2000 feet?

I've researched it quite a bit, but still unclear about the specifics. From what I've read so far it looks like I might need RG11/U coax cable (I read somewhere that this was necessary for distances up to 1500' but didn't find any more information on cable for greater distances)?

I do have a home in the center of the property so have a power source as well as internet. I want to install 4 outdoor security cameras right outside of the house that are attached to the house and only for security purposes. I'd like to be able to record those images the cams pick up for security purposes (if someone were to break in so I'd have the evidence). I also have a gate at my farm entrance that I want to run a cam to.

The remaining cams I'd like to add slowly and maybe would add any where from 4-10 outdoor cams, again, for outdoor viewing purposes. I've even looked into a couple of the more expensive PTV cams just for the fun of it. I'm not loaded but am willing to buy a couple each year as a hobby. All the outdoor cams would average about 1300 feet. In an ideal world I'd like to have 100 yard viewing capability with the outdoor cams.

So primarily my questions are where do I start and is running cable to those distances going to be able to pick up video that far away and if so what sort of cable/size cable do I need? Is it possible or even practical enough to do? I'm not new to electronics, am not a genius but tend to figure most things out when I put my head to it. Just looking for some help. Thank you!

Jim

PS: I just looked up that active balans might be the best route with cat-5 cable with baluns...if I went this route, it says you don't have to have power to the camera...will then you still be able to operate a PTV camera or how do you work around that issue?

Thanks looks like a nice camera, any tips on installation, and where can you purchase these cameras and what are their costs? I couldn't find them for sale on the internet.

I have a 150 acre farm and want to install long range security cams for security and outdoor viewing purposes (whitetail deer monitoring--during daylight and night time).

I'm not sure if it's even possible or practical, but is it possible to run a 8-16 cam system at distances that might reach 2000 feet?

So the first question is, do you want the cameras close-by and able to view over those distances, or do you need the cameras that far away, or can they be somewhere in the middle? Do you need really good clarity of those areas, or just over-views? Are there specific areas you need to cover (gates, openings to the forest, etc.) or very broad views of entire fields? Are you trying to cover the entire plot, or just the perimeter?

There are a number of different ways to go, but a lot depends on the answers to the above. Yes, it's possible to run analog cameras 2000' over UTP with active baluns, but you'll still need to power them locally, or run line voltage to their locations along with your video feed (and keep in mind the two lines should be separated).

I've even looked into a couple of the more expensive PTV cams just for the fun of it. I'm not loaded but am willing to buy a couple each year as a hobby.

PTZ (Pan/Tilt/Zoom) is the term you're looking for. This is a good option if the cameras are to be use mainly for live viewing under operator control. They tend to be of limited usefulness for security recording because they still only look at one thing at a time.

I just looked up that active balans might be the best route with cat-5 cable with baluns...if I went this route, it says you don't have to have power to the camera...

It depends on the devices used. Some can transmit video and power over UTP or coax for long distances, but you do get a lot of voltage loss over distance.

will then you still be able to operate a PTV camera or how do you work around that issue?

You'd need baluns or extenders that can send the control data over that cable as well. The power is trickier for PTZs because they need a lot more of it than fixed cameras, and so you're probably better off to power them locally, if you go that way.

So the first question is, do you want the cameras close-by and able to view over those distances, or do you need the cameras that far away, or can they be somewhere in the middle? Do you need really good clarity of those areas, or just over-views? Are there specific areas you need to cover (gates, openings to the forest, etc.) or very broad views of entire fields? Are you trying to cover the entire plot, or just the perimeter?

There are a number of different ways to go, but a lot depends on the answers to the above. Yes, it's possible to run analog cameras 2000' over UTP with active baluns, but you'll still need to power them locally, or run line voltage to their locations along with your video feed (and keep in mind the two lines should be separated).

I'd imagine I'd need pretty good clarity during night and day to really get good use out of them. 2 cams would overlook the "best" spots which are also the biggest areas, about 10 acres each. Although I do have isolated food plots to view deer there, they will move all over the 10 acres and it would be cool to view them on the whole field which is a low lying grass field/switchgrass with no trees in the way. The rest of the outdoor cameras I want are for specific spots or forest openings to just view what deer cross that area so can be pretty close range, but would still need IR capability.

For security, have one exterior gate that's 1300 feet from house want video for, and then 4 cams, one for each side of the house which will all be close to the house.

So pretty much 2 cams that would really be "broad/overview/landscape" cams--one about 1500-2000 feet from house and the other only 500 feet from house. The other outdoor cams that would be close range cams range from 300 to 2000 feet from house.

As far as a power source at the camera, I assume solar would be most appropriate, kind of like I see on the side of the interstate for DOT cams?

And I don't have to have PTZ cams they just look really cool. If I did them I'd probably only use them for those 2 landscape areas I was referrring to--but only if I could pick up the detail I'd need. Those thermal imaging cameras looking nice but I'd bet they're a pretty penny. I've used top end trail cameras but the now wireless ones go for $1000 plus solar chargers and was just thinking I could possibly have a live stream camera versus the still pictures with the game cameras and spend close to the same or maybe a little more. Thank you!

I'd be willing to invest in a system that works long term. Budget is flexible but I'd say any where from $1000-$3000 per camera max.

I'd be willing to invest in a system that works long term. Budget is flexible but I'd say any where from $1000-$3000 per camera max.

good budget. but i dont think you need to go that far on most of your cameras.

can you take a pic from google earth and mark your area ??

Blue square=property

White line=about 2500'

Blue circle=house security cams

Green circle=gate cam

Red circles=outdoor short distance cams

Yellow circles=possible PTZ cams/overlooking larger areas

Pink circle=house

For frame of reference upper left field is about 10 acres, upper right field 5 acres, and lower field is about 25 acres.

Just has some line laid for TV/internet from pink circle (home) to green circle (gate) as well as for phone access to gate and it was measured at 1300 feet.

cctv.png.7d1f1b2bb21a1507c9e0d72b0d9ed913.png

As I said in my pm I sent you I too have land that i want to put a couple cameras on. However, I know a rancher that uses this companies products with good results. WWW.buckeyecam.com

Blue square=property

White line=about 2500'

Blue circle=house security cams

Green circle=gate cam

Red circles=outdoor short distance cams

Yellow circles=possible PTZ cams/overlooking larger areas

Pink circle=house

For frame of reference upper left field is about 10 acres, upper right field 5 acres, and lower field is about 25 acres.

Just has some line laid for TV/internet from pink circle (home) to green circle (gate) as well as for phone access to gate and it was measured at 1300 feet.

This should be no problem, provided you have power, cables can work.. You need very good active baluns and good UTP Cat5 cables..

Please check your message. Sent you a pm..