rwx

QC444 Snapshot on disk?

Are the snapshots stored on the DVR hard drive? What I get by email is a lower resolution image.

I would assume it takes a snap of the video and emails it as a reference. It's then up to the user to go back and review the footage. I assume the footage IS your original.

Thanks. I guess if I want a still, I would download the video file, convert it to AVI, and extract a frame from that.

The manual indicates that I can take the snapshot in D1, with various quality settings, but what I get by email appears to be a much lower quality than the real-time image on the DVR monitor. I need to load it into Photoshop and see what it really is.....

The manual indicates that I can take the snapshot in D1, with various quality settings,

Hi that will be direct from your screen display (snapshot button on OSD) images sent by email will only be small referance pictures. with time date stamp so you have a referance to look back via dvr

My DVR does not have a snapshot feature while viewing the DVR OSD. You can search the video files, and clip and download a video segment, but there is no snapshot feature.

The software that I use on my network PC (PSS) can do a snapshot. A live snapshot or a snapshot of a previous recording is in D1 (704x480). The email snapshot is CIF (352x240).

My concern was if I had an intruder, I need to get a snapshot or video at the highest resolution. If the intruder gets to the DVR, then the email snapshot is all I have, and it is half quality.

I switched from timing to motion detect, and I did get a D1 image on email. Maybe it does not work on the timing mode. I'm going to take it off motion detect on the schedule menu and see if reverts back to CIF.

After I got it to send D1 images by email, I noticed that the single image did not capture much, so I increased the number of snapshot images to 3, then to 7. I am still getting one image.

I tried reducing the resolution to QCIF, but still only 1 image. In fact I had to reboot to get it to go to QCIF.

Any thoughts on the image quantity, or how to make the changes without reboot? (I know I was saving the changes each time)

as well as setting to D1 you also have quality. if you need more than 1 image at a time then your settings need to be

trigger

image size D1

image quality needs to be set at 1 (your mail box may time out if you set above 3 or reject)

snapshot frequency set at 3 or 4. (any higher your mail box may time out or reject)

I tried that, D1, 1 quality, 3 images. Still only one image rec'd. I even tried two gmail accounts.

I noticed one thing under network, on the email popup -- the manual says I can set a event interval from 0 to 3600 seconds (the time between emails). My interval is in minutes and defaults to 3 minutes minimum.

When you receive multiple images, do the come in seperate emails or as multiple attachments to one email?

You only get one snapshot per motion event, and you will get 3 emails. The first email is to show when the motion event started, then you will get a snapshot email, and the last email is when the motion event ended. I think the snapshot frequency is for FTP snapshot uploading if I am not mistaken.

According to the manual -- "Snapshot Frequency - This will allow you to take 1-7 shots in sequence."

Several snapshots would seem to be a good feature, since on most of my single snapshots I am out of the field of view, except for maybe my foot.

I'm going to try moving the DVR closer to my modem, in case there is some sort of bandwidth problem. It is at the end of a 50' ethernet cable now.

I am also going to play around with the frequency. It seemed like when I set it to 7 the image was delayed from the initial motion detect, but I really did not explore this.

You will never get more than one image on an email per motion event. If that is what Qsee's manual says, then they are wrong, or that it is meant for FTP.

I never used the snapshot function for email, didnt even know it was connected.

Used it for ftp though and also capturing snapshots from the SDK.

here is the CaptureImage demo from the SDK which uses the snapshot function from the DVR.

saves a jpg to the program path.

You could use this to at least test your DVR's snapshot function settings.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bgg5j9n9ixixdi6

That works good, but it over-writes the image each time it takes a new one. It will take an image every 3 seconds. Is there some documentation on the program?

No documentation as its from the SDK, any documentation in that is limited to broken english and basic code talk. Its built from C++ code. And yes it does overwrite as its just a demo. There might be a way to change that in the C++ code though to be honest right now I am tied up on some jobs, and not being 100% knowledgeable with C++ it might take some time.

Until I figure out the code (if ever), I used a shortcut. I wrote a routine that looks for a time stamp on the .jpg, and when it has exceeded my preset time increment, I make a copy to a sub-directory with a unique name. Works good.