ljarrald

urgh... 'trouble in TAPE transport area'?

i've never worked on VHS systems before but i've been asked by a friend of a friend to take a look at the system at his work. the VCR is a panasonic AG-TL350. after being powered up for about 3 seconds, the buzzer flashes and the LCD says E-5 which means 'trouble in the transport area'

before i remove the cover and start fiddling, do any of you know what this means? i had no luck getting a service manual so if any of you have it on a PDF, i'd be very greatful for a copy...

i am looking for a cheap DVR for them on ebay, but in the meentime i'd like to get this working...

thanks!

What a funny error!

Seeing as it is a VCR type device, maybe the tape got messed up in there, somewhere in the area where it is inserted/pops out when ejected. I would take off the cover and look around. I have extracted hostage tapes many times from VCRs that didn't wanna spit it out!

What a funny error!

Seeing as it is a VCR type device, maybe the tape got messed up in there, somewhere in the area where it is inserted/pops out when ejected. I would take off the cover and look around. I have extracted hostage tapes many times from VCRs that didn't wanna spit it out!

i think that's what i'll have to do. i just didn't want to do that and then later find out that there was a simpler way.

dont even waste your time on it!

Get the old stuff replaced with a DVR

iknow! it seems like a decent VCR... for its time! i think its probably older than me

i am looking for a cheap DVR for them on ebay, but in the meentime i'd like to get this working...

Boy, that brings back some memories. One of my happiest moments in CCTV was replacing a fleet of time-lapse VCRs with single-channel DVRs. Those things took a lot of babysitting, head cleanings, and regular tape replacements, and it was always hard to predict if the playback was going to be good enough when you needed it.

The Sonys we used (which were quite pricey back in the day) had error codes, and we'd start getting transport-related ones after a few years. Sony had a refurb plan and would rework them for about the price of a decent Dahua today. They wouldn't last as long after a refurb as when new, but we saved many thousands of dollars that way. That was serious money in the 90s!

This is really a golden age of CCTV, with these Dahua-grade DVRs, NVR boxes, and IP cams costing a fraction of what we paid back then for much less performance.

Pull the cover, power it up and load tape while observing. There is a big ring that actually pulls about a foot or so of tape out of the cassette and wraps it around the heads and a bunch of capstans an rubber rollers. Usually that error means the loading ring either is not going all the way to load, or is not going all the way to park. Its often dust or dirt in the gears, or drive belt. Old tapes that don't pull out easily enough will also cause that error, putting pressure on the drive ring. clean all the rubber with isopropanal, (can't even remember how to spell it!) and clean and lube the gears with a light weight grease, vasoline will work, don't get it on anything else, and not enough that it may migrate. Cross your fingers, say a prayer, light a green candle, (yes it's gotta be green) and try again. Most of those rubber pieces and belts start to get hard after a year or two, we used to replace them every year minimum.

i know how normal VCRs work, are CCTV ones basically the same?

it already has a tape in, i think im just not going to bother to be honest. its not worth the time and effort.

does anyone here, in the UK have a cheap 4CH DVR?

i don't mind if it needs repairing...

i'd like to buy new but the school don't have much money at all at the moment.

all the IT equipment is being upgraded soon, so i could just use one of the old towers with a cheap capture card, or buy an IP encoder that has built in VMS to save to the NAS or something, i don't know. i'll look into the options and make a decision. what would you suggest? its just one camera at the moment but hopefully we will add more soon.

i know how normal VCRs work, are CCTV ones basically the same?

Pretty much, yeah. The transports work in identical ways, they're just designed to run a lot slower (I've seen some that do 96 hours - four days - on a T160 tape).

ljarrald. i had a PM the other day telling me you was just 14 years old ???? if that is true. you cant be licenced to install in schools.

if you are not covered by any DPA certificate then just walk away. installing in a school has lots of laws that need to be worked too.

tom, no i'm not 14.

does it count as installing if its just 'fixing' a system? the cameras are already in place, all i'd be doing is repairing the recording device.

if you want free tech support you came to the wrong forum, this forum is run and owned by communists now.

but i'm a regular member, not just a one post wanter...

hi ljarrald take no notice of rorys post he left about 10 of them earlier and they were removed. his keyboad must have had a stutter or something.

but it had nothing to do with your thread

Yeah, but you are not a licensed installer/ Megapixel user.

VTR'S have a loading system that relies on a number of interactions: loading motor...clutch...brakes...pinch roller... back tension...etc Spillage & jamming inside the machine usually means one or more of the mentioned are worn or dirty with ferric oxide from an old cassette tape shedding & sticking to the tape path.