Vanity

CCTV Camera Wires Confusion

I found CCTV camera in the house of a friend. He was willing to give it to me sinds he did not have any uses for it. I searched for it on the internet and i am sure it is one of these this models.

http://tinyurl.com/7oxllqv

it is probaly the model "Mini-Câmera Color TecVoz- Day&Night- CCD Sony 1/3- MCS-500HS". They look exactly the same. It might be a diffrent model but they all use the same feed wich is "1m BNC and DC12±1V / 110mA".

The problem is its wires were all stripped and did not contain connectors. The wires end into 2 cables. One is a coaxial cable, The other one is assumed to be a DC cable.

The camera has a connector that looks alot like this one

184085_0.jpg

Direct link incase image not loading -> http://tinyurl.com/77eukum

This splits into 3 diffrent wires "Yellow Red and Black".

"Yellow" goes from the connector wich goes into the camera to the core of the coaxial cable.

"Red" goes from the connector wich goes into the camera to a diffrent red and white wire. Wich go inside of the DC cable.

"Black" assumed to be some sort of grounding. Goes from the connector wich goes into the camera to the shield of the coaxial cable. And from there it turns into another black wire wich goes into the DC cable.

Now i am assuming some cable that looks like this one

184085_1.jpg

Direct link incase image not loading -> http://tinyurl.com/6q76kan

can connect this CCTV camera to a TV or DVR. using the coaxial cable. And the DC cable can connect it to a power supply. My question is once i buy a "1m BNC" cable and strip it can i then connect it in the same way the current coaxial cable is connected to the camera?

And also if i buy a "DC12±1V / 110mA" DC to AC adapter strip its wires and connect it in to the wires in the DC cable of the camera. Will this be able to work?

If these arent solution can i by the cable of the given picture strip it and connect it to the CCTV camera?

This is all hard to explain i tryed to give as much information as possible feel free to ask more question if i was not clear enough, Also as you probaly have noticed english is not my native language.

Thanks in advance!

Yellow = Video

Red = Power (typically +12vdc)

Black = Ground (-12vdc, occasionally doubling as video ground).

Yellow = Video

Thanks alot for your reply. I still have the following questions left.

• 1. Is there a standard for this? How did you know this information? Where can I find more about it?

2. The ground connects to the shield of the coaxial cable. But it also goes into the DC. Where will it end? Wat does it connect to in the end? (Both for the coaxial shield and DC cable).

3. The Red cable is for power. It becomes 2 wires a red and white one. I assume a DC to AC adapter has these colors also. And i can just connect them together and power the camera on without destroying anything? Again if it is like this wat do i do with the black wire inside the DC cable?

4. Yellow is video. I know there exists alot of diffrent connectors. "SMA, RP-SMA, BNC, SMB". Can i connect any connector to the end of my wire assuming it will work if i connect this into a fitting connector on the oposite end? Also wont the Black ground cable connected to the shield do anything bad for the video?

5. Has the connector that has 3 pins into the camera, And as output has the "Red, Yellow, Black" wires a name? Wat is it called?

6. Wat comes actually from the yellow video cable? Can i plug it into a TV? Into a DVR? Into a NVR?

I am really new to electronics i am more of a software guy (programmer, sysadmin). I recently discover a urge to know more about hardware and electronics. I am sorry if any of these questions ask are obvious to you. Again thanks for your reply!

Yellow = Video

1. Is there a standard for this? How did you know this information? Where can I find more about it?

It's what's known as an "ad-hoc" standard - nothing written in stone, but it's generally adhered to across manufacturers, for simplicity as much as anything.

If there's a *separate* white wire, it's probably audio (assuming the camera has a built-in mic).

2. The ground connects to the shield of the coaxial cable. But it also goes into the DC. Where will it end? Wat does it connect to in the end? (Both for the coaxial shield and DC cable).

The video and power share a common ground internal to the camera.

3. The Red cable is for power. It becomes 2 wires a red and white one. I assume a DC to AC adapter has these colors also. And i can just connect them together and power the camera on without destroying anything? Again if it is like this wat do i do with the black wire inside the DC cable?

I wouldn't assume it accepts AC. Cameras like that will have an internal regulator, and both power wires will connect directly to that; they will not have a common ground with the video.

4. Yellow is video. I know there exists alot of diffrent connectors. "SMA, RP-SMA, BNC, SMB". Can i connect any connector to the end of my wire assuming it will work if i connect this into a fitting connector on the oposite end? Also wont the Black ground cable connected to the shield do anything bad for the video?

Yes, and no. BNC is the most common connector for CCTV video, followed by RCA for lower-end equipment.

6. Wat comes actually from the yellow video cable? Can i plug it into a TV? Into a DVR? Into a NVR?

It's composite video (NTSC or PAL, depending on where you live, or more to the point, where the camera came from). You can connect it (with the appropriate connector or adapter) directly to the A/V input of a DVR, a DVR, a VCR, or anything else that accepts composite video. An NVR is a *Network* video recorder and will have no analog inputs.

Yellow = Video

1. Is there a standard for this? How did you know this information? Where can I find more about it?

It's what's known as an "ad-hoc" standard - nothing written in stone, but it's generally adhered to across manufacturers, for simplicity as much as anything.

If there's a *separate* white wire, it's probably audio (assuming the camera has a built-in mic).

The video and power share a common ground internal to the camera.

I wouldn't assume it accepts AC. Cameras like that will have an internal regulator, and both power wires will connect directly to that; they will not have a common ground with the video.

Yes, and no. BNC is the most common connector for CCTV video, followed by RCA for lower-end equipment.

It's composite video (NTSC or PAL, depending on where you live, or more to the point, where the camera came from). You can connect it (with the appropriate connector or adapter) directly to the A/V input of a DVR, a DVR, a VCR, or anything else that accepts composite video. An NVR is a *Network* video recorder and will have no analog inputs.

Thanks alot. I almost have the confidence to try out this camera, The only doubt i have is the black ground wire. Wat do i need to do with that? Could I connect it to a copper rod and smash that thing 1 meter in the ground?

EDIT: alot of the siamese cables with video into one and power into the other seem to end with a black and red cable. Should the 2 wires white and red inside the DC cable of the camera be joined to the red cable on the AC to DC transformer (Power supply, Adapter) and the black to the black?

Edited by Guest

It's not for an earth ground - "ground" in this case is relative to both power and video. Every type of signal, be it power, video, audio, whatever, needs a return path.

It's not for an earth ground - "ground" in this case is relative to both power and video. Every type of signal, be it power, video, audio, whatever, needs a return path.

I am really new to this. Could you say where it needs to be plugged into? Assuming i will be using a 12v DC to AC adapter like the one used to charge my mobile phone battery. These consist of white and black. Black is ground so ground goes into black. Now i am left with white and red.. Should these connect to red?

EDIIT: This is wat most siamese cables look like 184129_1.jpg .

Ok i could connect video with no problem. But my problem is the DC power. There are only 2 cables in here. Mine has 3 cables. White Red and Black

The center conductor on the right side is your video signal -that goes to the yellow wire on the camera, and to the video input on the DVR or TV. The braided shield around it is the signal ground. On the left side, red is your power, and black is power ground.

The center conductor on the right side is your video signal -that goes to the yellow wire on the camera, and to the video input on the DVR or TV. The braided shield around it is the signal ground. On the left side, red is your power, and black is power ground.

OK i got it now, I cant thank you enough !!!

Camera connector

|

\/

------| ---------- -> Connect to black inside the left cable in the picture above

------|

------|---------- -> Connect to red inside left cable on the picture above

------|

------| ---------- -> Connect to copper core of right cable

The black wire on the camera also has to connect to the braided shield of the right side - again, the video needs a return path to the DVR as well.

The black wire on the camera also has to connect to the braided shield of the right side - again, the video needs a return path to the DVR as well.

Wire_Legend.jpg

Yellow Video: Connected to the core copper of the coaxial cable

Black Ground: Connected first to the shield of the coaxial cable, Then a small black wire goes from the coaxial cable's shield inside the other small cable.

Red Power: Splits into one small white and small red wire. Both go with the small black ground wire into the small cable.

• 1. Is this correct? If so how in hells name do i connect this to the picture below? The picture below has black and red in the small cable, And one coaxial cable. Mine has black red and white in the small cable and a coaxial cable...

2.I am thinking that the red cable does not need to split into 2 diffrent wires at all. It can just stay one wire. is this true?

3. I can put a BNC connector on my end of the coaxial cable and it should be fine right?

4. If I do not split the red power cable into 2 diffrent wires, Can i connect it to the red cable of the siamese cable in the picture and then the end of that cable into a 12v DC to AC adapter and finally that into my wall?

184161_1.jpg

I uploaded my own image becasue it was really hard to explain. I hope things will be more clear for me now. Thanks again for all the replys!

1. Is this correct? If so how in hells name do i connect this to the picture below?

to make it easy for you..... you have it right in your picture BUT you dont need the white wire

in your picture where you have yellow going to coax centure and your 2 black cables together. you will find it easier to make you connection with 1 of these.

184163_1.jpg

yellow would go into the + and your 2 back cable will go into -.

then you will just run power to the black and red tails left.

then to connect your camera to your cable you will just need to convert the end with 1 of these.

184163_2.jpg