shockwave199

Auto tracking technology

In browsing ptz's, I've been seeing claims such as this-

•Tracking object: Based on image recognition technology, auto-search and track

•Tracking image: High-integrated DSP module, fast and steady

•Tracking effect: Not affected by light

Other verbage such as the camera provides high-accuracy detection of individuals by memorizing the characteristics of the subject including color, shape and contrast. Other features in some include masking out areas to help avoid unwanted triggering of auto tracking- I figure trees and such. Most auto trackers now seem to have these claims to them.

The only two objects anyone is ever interested in is humans and cars. If parameters and recognition technology now exist to at least help auto tracking behave better, might it be worth it, as opposed to just not having it at all? I'm curious if anyone has actual experience with a camera such as this. I understand the speculation of possible problems, bogus spec claims, 'can't possibly work well' attitudes from those who haven't actually used these things. Frankly, that's my thoughts too! I'm just curious if anyone has had enough experience with one of these things to say heck- the technology is getting there now and it's worth it. Kind of like the case of budget dvrs, where some years ago they weren't worth a dime and now some are actually pretty good. Is technology making auto tracking a worthy addition to the ptz now? Or is it still a losing feature.

I'm just curious if anyone has had enough experience with one of these things to say heck- the technology is getting there now and it's worth it. Kind of like the case of budget dvrs, where some years ago they weren't worth a dime and now some are actually pretty good. Is technology making auto tracking a worthy addition to the ptz now? Or is it still a losing feature.

I'm wondering the same thing as well. You'd think with today's megapixel high resolution cams, that this type of feature would be perfected by now.

I'm wondering the same thing as well. You'd think with today's megapixel high resolution cams, that this type of feature would be perfected by now.

As MP counts go up, you lessen the need for auto-tracking - rather than having the camera need to decide which ONE of potentially multiple objects to follow, you simply record the entire scene in high detail, and zoom on various points of interest after the fact.

As MP counts go up, you lessen the need for auto-tracking - rather than having the camera need to decide which ONE of potentially multiple objects to follow, you simply record the entire scene in high detail, and zoom on various points of interest after the fact.

That's not good enough though.

A PTZ gets angles of a scene that a high MP cam cannot, and the zoom function of an HD 720P or greater would be more robust than a fixed high MP cam that can't rotate up to 300+ degrees in the other direction.

A PTZ with high optical zoom lense still seems like it would have quite a few advantages over non-moving high MP cams.

The ability to drill into a wide shot is where it's at with that for sure. But I suppose I'm firmly an analog guy.

Problem with auto tracking PTZs is what happens when you have 2 or more objects

I'll give a nod to that, but the opposite side of that is what happens if you can't even catch one person or car because the PTZ is 'dumb' to it and simply looking the wrong way at the momet? I can't see having a ptz without tracking. To me, if it's set as best it can be, it increases the odds that you may very well have tracked a car or person of interest. It seems they've come far enough not to track bugs or moving branches and stuff. There's enough settings to give it the best shot at avoiding false triggering. But much like blocking for motion detection, it can't be perfect, of course. But whatever tilts the odds in favor of a good ID shot out at the fringes of your coverage with an analog PTZ, all the better to me.

I have eight fixed cameras at the moment, covering what I need. Even wide shots are covered, but the wide shots don't really provide any real ID detail. A person has to get fairly close into my property for me to get good detail, made all the more difficult at night. I'm maxed out at eight cams and frankly, I wouldn't want a bunch more varifocals pointing all over the place to try and tighten things up. Now I'll admit I just have a fever for a ptz- had it for months now. I think it's a nice augmentation to otherwise decent coverage from my fixed cams. So I just bought one of the domeless kind with smart IR and auto tracking- flying in the face of common wisdom here I plan to video document the whole install and how it works and looks. So we'll all get a chance to see how this type of camera does....or doesn't over the short and long term. Stay tuned...

186357_1.jpg

1/4 inch CCD Security CCTV Speed Dome Camera, EFFIO 650TV Line Horizontal Resolution, 0.01Lux Minimum Illumination, 27X Optical Zoom, 3.2 to 86.4mm Lens, 752 x 582 Effective Pixels, 360 Degrees Continuously Pan Angle, 8 Privacy Zones, 220 Preset Positions, With RS-485, Support Pelco-D, Pelco-P, HS, Built in Heater and Fan, 8PCS LEDs, 100M IR Distance, IR CUT, Auto Tracking Function, IP66

Edited by Guest

That's not good enough though.

Maybe, maybe not...

A PTZ gets angles of a scene that a high MP cam cannot

Ye canna change the laws o' physics, Cap'n! A PTZ and a panoramic fixed camera in the same location will see exactly the same angles.

and the zoom function of an HD 720P or greater would be more robust than a fixed high MP cam that can't rotate up to 300+ degrees in the other direction.

How about a 360-degree panoramic camera?

A PTZ with high optical zoom lense still seems like it would have quite a few advantages over non-moving high MP cams.

It has one advantage: it still gives you greater detail at the long end of its zoom. But that advantage is diminishing, as I say, "as MP counts go up".