can anyone tell me,

if i buy a DVR with a network connection so i can view over my phone when i am not there, is there any way of saving the footage (not on my DVR) and if i buy a external HDD can it record to that instead of or as well as the internal drive?

I dont mean to be rude but I get the feeling i'm wasting my time on this forum

as im looking for information on what equipment is good or bad and things it is capable of, not just generic answers where respondents either cant be bothered or dont actually know.

obviously i would buy a DVR with a network connection

I dont mean to be rude but I get the feeling i'm wasting my time on this forum

Ask vague questions, get vague answers.

as im looking for information on what equipment is good or bad and things it is capable of, not just generic answers where respondents either cant be bothered or dont actually know.

Yeah, problem is, there are literally THOUSANDS of options out there... without knowing more about what you need, nobody wants to start rattling off "try this one, try that one", only to start a back-and-forth with "but does it do this", or "but it doesn't do that".

If you want specific recommendations, try giving some specific requirements besides just "external storage". How many channels? What form factor? What resolution/framerate? What codec(s)? Do you need remote/mobile access? HDMI/VGA/composite output?

Most importantly, to start with, what are you willing to spend? There's nothing worse than listing a bunch of different equipment for someone and then have them come back with, "Oh, but I only wanted to spend $100".

Especially with someone like Soundy (my guess). He obviously knows his stuff. I have only posted a few times on this board - he has never responded to one of my posts.

Something to keep in mind (not directed at you, BTW, just general advice) is that everyone participating here, whether noobs or pros, are doing this as a hobby, in their spare time. Sometimes we just aren't able to answer everyone's questions. Sometimes I only get to sit down and go through things every 2-3 days, which leaves WAY too many new messages to get through them all.

Sometimes we just don't SEE everyone's questions. For example, when I sit down to spend some time here, I'll usually use the "New Posts" search, which shows me any new posts since the last time I logged in. However, I also get email notifications of replies and private messages, and may sometimes log in to check those from my phone... which resets my "new posts" pointer. When I get home later, any posts that were "new" before I logged in from my phone, don't show up in the "New Posts" search anymore, so I don't see them.

Most others here will tell you the same thing - what it comes down to is, it's free support - if you want someone answering your every question immediately, pay a professional to come to your place.

Well to be more specific,

Im looking to spend around $500 probably with 3 cameras, and i figure that instead of buying a 4 channel i can get an 8 channel for not much more but greater bandwidth split between the D1 channels,

obviously i want the best pic quality for the price so cameras probably 600 line sony ccd? and 1 with a variable zoom so i can frame the driveway correctly, and store the footage on a hidden HDD aswell, but the viewing on my phone is the biggest mystery, is there an app so you can save the footage on your phone, or an online storage bank?

I was also thinking of purchasing a cheaper version of the GSM alarm i previously brought so that when someone walks infront of the PIR it sends me an instant SMS so i know when to view the camera footage over the net?

hope this helps

Im looking to spend around $500 probably with 3 cameras, and i figure that instead of buying a 4 channel i can get an 8 channel for not much more but greater bandwidth split between the D1 channels,

obviously i want the best pic quality for the price so cameras probably 600 line sony ccd? and 1 with a variable zoom so i can frame the driveway correctly,

Give these a look: CNB VCM-24VF Outdoor Dome - you'll have trouble finding a better all-around camera at twice the price.

As far as how maximum framerate is split between channels, it really depends on the particular DVR - some will let you divide it up however you want, some won't... or you can simply go for one that gives you 30fps on all channels.

That said, 30fps is overrated 90% of the time - unless you're recording fast-moving objects, you won't usually notice a difference between 30 and 15, or even 10fps... meantime, 10fps will use 1/3 the storage space of 30. Check out this tool from Panasonic for examples: http://www.panasonic.com/business/security/demos/PSS-recording-rates.html

and store the footage on a hidden HDD aswell,

I *think* the DVRs will do this, but check to make sure. Their QVIS Apollo PRO series have an eSATA port for backup to external drive, but I don't know if that supports actually RECORDING to the external, or just backing up/exporting to it.

A more common option would be to simply stash the DVR away and view it remotely, either via client software (anything you can do via the direct menus, the Dahua gives you full control over via web client) or using KVM extender to your desktop.

but the viewing on my phone is the biggest mystery, is there an app so you can save the footage on your phone, or an online storage bank?

I seem to recall an Android app that will let you do this, but you want to be careful with that, because it will rack up your data plan insanely fast. Online storage is another thing that sounds like a nice idea, but is of limited usefulness because of the bandwidth demands (your internet connection's upload speed has to be sufficient).

Simply viewing on your phone is easy; there are a number of apps that support this with many DVRs, some free, some paid.

I was also thinking of purchasing a cheaper version of the GSM alarm i previously brought so that when someone walks infront of the PIR it sends me an instant SMS so i know when to view the camera footage over the net?

There's that... most DVRs also have alarm inputs that you can tie a standard PIR into, so it triggers the DVR to record as well as send stills via email.

thanks for that,

so 50 fps on D1 should be adequate then?

in terms of my phone data i have 1g a month and most of that i dont use but the problem with the email alarm is that my phone doesnt seem to check them automatically very often (even when set on 10 mins)

I was thinking of atleast 1 dome cam as people from a few meteres away cant tell which way it it facing

the apollo Dvr you recommended is probably a bit too hardcore for me? (as certainly wont need 16 channels)

with so many models and specs it seems it really is buy and see what you get then

I will definately get a system as i have already fallen out with the neighbours and i dont even live there yet! (and i know they go on my property)

here are a few i'm concidering

DVRs

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4CH-D1-H-264-HD-CIF-Standalone-DVR-Recorder-CCTV-Camera-Surveillance-8104-/250906513626?pt=AU_Security_Equipment&hash=item3a6b3190da

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-CH-CHANNEL-H-264-CCTV-REAL-TIME-DVR-IPHONE-w-1TB-HD-/120711886586?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1afd36fa

and cameras,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Waterproof-Sony-600TVL-CCD-4-9mm-Varifocal-Lens-72-LED-IR-CCTV-Security-Camera-/400238372716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3010e76c

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-600TVL-CCD-2-8-12mm-lens-72-IR-Outdoor-CCTV-Camera-/180715297488?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item2a13789ad0

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-600TVL-4-9MM-CCD-Outdoor-CCTV-Dome-Vandal-Proof-Camera-/110771706552?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ca821ab8

What ever i get in a couple of months i will try to post on my experience, good, bad etc, perhaps some pics

thanks for that,

so 50 fps on D1 should be adequate then?

50 across 8 channels is probably sufficient - that's about 6fps each. Might want to look at higher just to have the capacity in case you need something higher on one or two cameras.

in terms of my phone data i have 1g a month and most of that i dont use

You don't now, but if you're recording video to your phone, you'll probably exceed that in less than a week.

but the problem with the email alarm is that my phone doesnt seem to check them automatically very often (even when set on 10 mins)

What phone are you using? Many support "push" email... the drawback to that is that it requires the data connection be active constantly, and chews up the battery.

I was thinking of atleast 1 dome cam as people from a few meteres away cant tell which way it it facing

I'd just go all domes and be done with it. The VCM-24VF I linked to above is an excellent camera and will give you good picture with very little light (you may need to look for the VCM-25VF if you're on PAL standard).

the apollo Dvr you recommended is probably a bit too hardcore for me? (as certainly wont need 16 channels)

Oh, probably - that was just an example. There are four- and eight-channel versions of those units.

with so many models and specs it seems it really is buy and see what you get then

Not if you're buying from a reputable seller. Staying away from fleaBay is a good way to start.

here are a few i'm concidering

DVRs

Neither of those support external storage. The fact that they have no brand names on them is worrisome as well. I wouldn't expect any sort of after-sales support from the vendors.

and cameras

None of those are true-day/night (based on listed specs), which since they're color and use IR, means they have no IR cut filter, which will detract from the color image. None list true (non-IR) illumination specs, which probably means they have very poor low-light response. All in all, they look pretty low-grade.

Since the eBay links you gave are all .au, I assume you're in .au as well? I don't know if they will ship there, but they're the first place you should check... if they don't, we have other members here from downunda who should be able to suggest some better local or online resellers to go to, rather than fleaBay.

Yes i am in Aus and thats one reason why i was looking at ebay, i know alot of stuff from there is dodgy (i got a great Trustfire X8 torch from there)

i have looked at some aus security sites but they just list the same models on ebay but with a much greater markup (at least in ebay with paypal you can get your money back) (you dont get much choice in Aus)

I will keep in mind the low light camera specs ( i was thinking of buying 3 different cameras with same-ish specs so i could compare them)

if anyone in Aus knows some good stuff or sites

seems like a high price for effio cameras.

but 1 thing you need to look at is........ remember you need to buy a system for your region ...... you are PAL. NTSC is a USA region.

what part of Australia are you in ?

lucky you pointed that out,

I'm in TAS by the way

i thought electronics automatically switched based in the mains frequency?

i was interested in one of these but they dont seem to come in PAL versions?

Qvis Zeus 8 Channel Security DVR

I decided to get one of these

Dahua DH-DVR0804LE-A - direct from china in PAL

cause people on the forum seem to like them, and hopefully i can run 4 cameras at D1 12Fps?

i paid about $50 extra for the HDMI because i thought it might be more future proof (i thought about buying a bluray player but the decent makes dont come with a component output anymore and i have a hi def CRT) so im guessing all newer monitors wont have VGA soon?

the dome camera Soundy recommended:

CNB VCM-24VF Outdoor Dome

anyone know where the PAL versions can be found? and dont they need any IR Leds?

cause people on the forum seem to like them, and hopefully i can run 4 cameras at D1 12Fps?

Im no expert. But I think the most you can get out of that unit is 7 fps at d1 on all channels simultaneously or 13-30 fps on ch1 and CIF on the rest.

Jason

Yes i am in Aus and thats one reason why i was looking at ebay, i know alot of stuff from there is dodgy (i got a great Trustfire X8 torch from there)

i have looked at some aus security sites but they just list the same models on ebay but with a much greater markup (at least in ebay with paypal you can get your money back) (you dont get much choice in Aus)

I will keep in mind the low light camera specs ( i was thinking of buying 3 different cameras with same-ish specs so i could compare them)

if anyone in Aus knows some good stuff or sites

Where have you looked in Aus for your cameras?

i have just googled cameras and looked at the Aus websites that have came up,

all the stuff is the same as on ebay but at double the price or more!

i have recieved my new dvr and have got 1 camera and am just playing around with it at the moment, before i install it elsewhere in a couple of months but im still a bit stuck on some of the settings,

which mobile phone viewer do people recommend?

and which IP address and port number do i use?

I guessed it would be my ISP one that my modem/router reports but it cant be as its dynamic and i would have to enter a new ip everytime my modem powers down /reboots?

hope im not being to dumb but i dont have time to wade though all the crap on the disk manual

also added problem, where i am now the phone signal goes up and down drastically (so it might be a phone network problem if it doesnt connect)

is it the IP address that my ISP assigns me as thats dynamic, and i would have to log into modem to find it and change it on my phone everyday.

i found this helpful but i still cannot get it to work

so when i get my new address i will have to get a static IP, and im guessing a 3G modem/router wont work either

can anyone give me advice as to why i cannot get this to work on my phone?

every time i try i get a connect to server fail!

i put in my current WAN ip address and the 666666 account and password but it will not connect

getting very frustrated! i dont know if its cause i get a **** phone signal?

I had that happen to me. After checking that all of the data was correct. I reset the phone. Then it worked. Also, from time to time, my phone gets the server fail and I have to close the program and try again. I am "guessing" that it is a connectivity issue when I have that problem and not the app. Pretty cool when you get it up and running. I never read the documentation, but double tap on the image and it will make that image larger. Double tap again, and it goes back to previous screen - it took me a week to come to know that...