Sign in to follow this  
res313

IP camera suggestions for front door

184976_1.jpg

Above is the front entrance to the new home that my wife and I are going to be closing on in the coming weeks. As you can see there is no way to ID who is at the door.

I would like to install an IP based camera as the first step of my whole home system. I have been looking at many cameras but the number of them is intimidating and daunting.

Any suggestions would be great. I have found ACTI ACM 1231 and ACTI ACM 7411 that I can deal with the prices and seem to fit my need.

In the near future the camera will be wired to a a PoE switch and then to one of our home computers with the intent to have a multi camera system wired into a PC based DVR.

I am looking at using the Mileston 'GO" software. Will this support Motion detection, email alerts, and will I be able to view the footage from an IPAD/IPHONE?

Thanks for all the knowledge that y'all have.

Ryan

Peephole camera - The only thing I don't know is the wiring constraints w/ a peephole camera...but that would be the thing I'd look into if I were you.

I am looking at your doorway there and it looks like any potentional perpetrator is going to be up close and personal. I recommend analaog in your case. It will save you money and provide you with the service you need to protect this doorway. This door only has one avenue of approach due to walls on both side of it. The perpetrator has to approach from the front. A camera just above the door will catch an image of the perpetrator well before they have a chance to disablie it due to limited angle of approach. Now IP will work great on an exterior wall of the house where you may want to have high resolution to cover a large area or at least give you high focal detail. On this door though, stick with analog, IP will be a waste with this limited point of approach door. Put your megapixel + where you really need it.

That Mobotix T24 is a VERY cool piece of kit. I was just at the Mobotix Int'l Partners Conference in Germany two weeks ago, and got to play with it. They also have some other pretty slick cameras coming out in the next few months that would be EXCELLENT for a door... stay tuned!

I guess the same problem here as I am having ... the light from behind the incoming person will block out the facial recognition as the light will overload the sensor and it will focus on the brighter part of the picture, in this case, the background... It might work only in case there is lots of light coming from the side of the door... otherwise it's money down the drain