jtetterton

Am I expecting too much from my setup?

Here is a quick video from my Qvis 8ch PRO Dvr. Channel is set at 7fps D1, CBR 1024kbps. Camera is a CNB VCM-24VF.

Am I expecting too much for what I have? Video just seems.. blah..

maZkZepjdxs

Any idea what would make the video skip like that at 11:59:20 to 11:59:22 ??

hi. you may see a little jump like yours sometimes as the dvr is making the next footage file. your footage has just come to the end of a hour

I see nothing wrong with that video as well. For such a wide shot I wouldn't complain about that.

The video skip happens again 12:00:19. Notice the time when this happens, it skips forward a second or two. Not sure, what's causing it but tomcctv could be right. I've seen anomalies like this before and never really bothered to bang my head against the wall over it.

Define blah. What don't you like about it?

I guess I was looking for more clarity in the people and moving objects. Identification shots from around my cars, etc. I can ID people, but generally if I know them already. I guess it's really only good for a general description and a height/weight thing, no real facial detail.

Are there other channels recording? Does the skip happen when another channel kicks in?

I have 5 channels recording 7fps D1 around the clock, they are also recording motion events.

H.264 I assume?

Yep

Sounds like you're hungry for IP

Afraid you may be right.

I guess I was looking for more clarity in the people and moving objects. Identification shots from around my cars, etc. I can ID people, but generally if I know them already. I guess it's really only good for a general description and a height/weight thing, no real facial detail.

None of those people were around your car. They were beyond your cars. I think the video looks great. But you're asking too much from one static FOV. How does someone look actually at your cars, peering inside, both day and night? Do a vid with even yourself doing just that and see if there's more detail actually being closer to the cars- thereby closer to that camera. I'm sure you'll see more. If the end of the driveway and the street are important to you, you'll have to set a varifocal shot zoomed in appropriately to see the detail you're looking for. But overall I'd say it looks good. You'll have to do some experimenting to see if the FOV is best to get detailed shots at your cars- the real target.

So in answer to your question, you're only expecting too much from one FOV, imo.

hi. looking at your install spec you are not getting full advantage of your system. you also have a PTZ in that area.

what you can also do is set some alarms in your driveway camera and this will then allow you to have footage from driveway cam and also the alarm will bring your ptz into play .... it spins around on alarm and zooms in and even a little tour of that area

Could be buffer overrun. On some DVRs, the threads that capture the video and save it to disk can get starved for CPU time and/or the disk I/O can take too long when other activities (such as purging old recordings to keep the disk from filling up) are taking place. Some of the captured frames don't get processed in time and wind up in the bit bucket.

Did you check your system logs during the time in question? Any error messages in there?

Yep, not a bad pic but pretty wide so not a lot of pixels/ft. There's a lot of good info out there. Typical is 40 for identification, 80 is a good pic though and what I shoot for around the house. You can do it with MP cameras, or have one analog zoomed in to get that shot (especially useful if there is a spot someone always walks through) and one for overview.