jtetterton

Assitance with camera type to choose

I'm preparing a bid for an install and would like some advice/confirmation on my selection.

The attached picture is the proposed location of the lone outdoor camera (budget constraints). I'm most likely going to purchase a used long range box cameras suchs as "Samsung SCC-131A/B Super High Resolution Security Camera W 5-100mm Auto-Iris Lens" and put it in an enclosure under the eave.

The black arrow drawn is the target area, this is the only ingress and egress for vehicles into the parking lot and we would like to capture as much detail as possible about everyone who enters the property. I'm hoping for even license plates, does this sound feasible with a 5-100mm lens honed in on that area? I've guesstimated that the target area is approximately 90' from the building.

185703_1.jpg

Thanks for the advice!

Jason

I'm preparing a bid for an install and would like some advice/confirmation on my selection.

The attached picture is the proposed location of the lone outdoor camera (budget constraints). I'm most likely going to purchase a used longe range box cameras suchs as "Samsung SCC-131A/B Super High Resolution Security Camera W 5-100mm Auto-Iris Lens"

Jason

Are u sure u wanna use Analog cam ?

see what u can do with decent Megapixel IP cam

distance to object about 320 feet

I did re-size pix for forum

1129844495_Pzoomin2.jpg.ef2d93e0786ebd78f29da74598cab347.jpg

845122439_Pzoomout.jpg.11a8cdaa921797b30527d2b41f11496c.jpg

Based on this calculator: http://www.wrekincom.com/cctv_cam_calculator.html

For a 1/3" camera at 90' to capture a 10' area would take about a 43mm lens - well within the capabilities of that lens. In fact, you'll have lots of room to fine-tune it to capture the area you need. For that matter, the unit with the 7-70mm lens (for $20 less) would be sufficient.

The most important consideration, I think, will be lighting, something that will certainly be less of a problem with an analog camera vs. megapixel. The one possible issue with that particular camera may be night performance, given that it's color-only with a 0.3lux spec. If you're going to to need to see vehicles after dark, you'll probably want to look at something in either a B&W or TDN model - it costs more, but I think this camera would be better suited if night performance matters, it would probably be worth the difference (I say "probably" only because he doesn't list the actual illumination specs).

Not sure how I missed that auto zoom camera... Looks like a good solution for only $40 more.

For the other one soundy, I found the LUX specs: Color: 0.02Lux@F1.2 B/W: 0.005Lux@F1.2

If comparing the Zoom cam with the Dahua box camera, I would go with the Box camera as opposed to the zoom camera. The zoom camera only becomes relevant if you are there to control it all the time. And the box camera will give you much better performance. The zoom cam is cool, but for a dedicated purpose, go with the box. I may be biased, but that box camera is one of the best Analog cameras around.

The Samsung is okay but keep in mind it does not have removable IR cut filter in it (it has permanent IR filter) so the night time performance will not be as good as the Dahua. Plus, you would not be able to use IR illuminators, ever you ever wanted to, with the Samsung.

I didn't really mention the zoom cam for constant movement like a ptz. It's just that it offers the whole package with the advantage of easy adjustment at the dvr if needed over time. And considering the video demos look fine as well, seems like a win. But, there is one huge difference between the two. The Dahua 700TVL box cam has the Sony Effio-E Chipset. I figure that's why that camera spanks. Good luck.