fishcam10

Quality Cat5e Cable

I am interested in finding out what brands of Cat5e have the best quality ratings. I am using Cat5e to install 12 cameras with a run of approx 1500' inside buried pvc coated rigid steel conduit.

1500' is a long run. Not to mention I have never seen it sold in longer lengths than 1000' box or reel.

I like belden cable;

CAT-5 is rated to 100M

CAT-5e is rated to 350M

CAT-6 and CAT6e is rated to 550M or 1000M depending on your source

Good luck!

^Those are frequencies (in MHz), not distances.

You'll have to make sure to use active baluns at both ends of that length of run, and don't expect to run power over that.

I am interested in finding out what brands of Cat5e have the best quality ratings. I am using Cat5e to install 12 cameras with a run of approx 1500' inside buried pvc coated rigid steel conduit.

I am not sure if standard PVC sheathed CAT5E cable is rated for underground use. (water ingress issues)

Look for a PE sheathed cable.

Ilkie

Thanks for the input. The cable run is going to be approximately 550' after a change in plans. Should I use active baluns for this run? This cable is going to be installed in a floodplain with the potential of being flooded at some point. Would a gel filled cable be the best choice?

Thanks for the input. The cable run is going to be approximately 550' after a change in plans. Should I use active baluns for this run? This cable is going to be installed in a floodplain with the potential of being flooded at some point. Would a gel filled cable be the best choice?

I think I would be considering external gel filled telephone cable for this application, It will be probably be lower cost.

Active baluns would be OK, but to be safe I would use professional video over twisted pair transmission system (try Addlestone Electronics)

Ilkie

When I recently purchased a 1000' box of CAT5e from a local distributor they asked if I wanted 'overseas' made cable or USA made.. You can guess what my answer was -- I didn't mind paying a bit more for the local stuff -- I think mine was made by General Cable -- perhaps not as good as Belden which gets nothing but good marks but I believe General is a bit cheaper. The way I look at it is, don't go cheap on the cable since it's a major pain in the rear IF you need to re-run cable -- particularly for your run..

When I recently purchased a 1000' box of CAT5e from a local distributor they asked if I wanted 'overseas' made cable or USA made.. You can guess what my answer was -- I didn't mind paying a bit more for the local stuff -- I think mine was made by General Cable -- perhaps not as good as Belden which gets nothing but good marks but I believe General is a bit cheaper. The way I look at it is, don't go cheap on the cable since it's a major pain in the rear IF you need to re-run cable -- particularly for your run..

There is a number of issues with low cost CAT5E comming onto the market as some can be copper coated aluminium and not pure copper.

Sometimes it is quoted as CAT5E CA and is worth avoiding!

Ilkie

Are there any downsides to running Cat5 and baluns as oposed to using coax in this application? I know Cat5 would be much cheaper, but are there benefits to using coax in this situation where there is a chance that these cables will be underwater at some point?

If I have a job like that I always contact a cable manufacturer to see what specific cable they recommend.

I am no expert in cables, so I rely on the manufacturer's expertise to some extent especially where

there are specific issues relating to where the cable will run. So far, I have never had to run any

underground cable but should that be necessary in the future, I know where I would get my planning

information from. Do a cost comparison with microwave link or just wireless link.

Are there any downsides to running Cat5 and baluns as oposed to using coax in this application? I know Cat5 would be much cheaper, but are there benefits to using coax in this situation where there is a chance that these cables will be underwater at some point?

hi. take a look at Direct Burial cat5 (self seals) on detection of water and its only a few $ more than standard cat5

Are there any downsides to running Cat5 and baluns as oposed to using coax in this application?

long term yes cat5 is much better you can do much more with it.

Do not even consider anything other than direct bury in conduit or gel filled. We use lots of general cable and some belden. One of the issues with some of the cheaper cable is how it comes out of the box. You lose in time anything you save on the cable if the box gets tangled.