hey_moe

Outside lighting

I was wondering what kind of lighting some are using in here. I installed in the front and back yard two flood lights above the cameras. They light the font and back yard ok, but I would like a brighter light. These are those 90 watt low power lights. Any suggestions....Mike

Are your cameras true-day-night (TDN) cameras? Are you talking regular light or IR? I'm planning on doing probably a combination of IR and regular (regular controlled by PIR detectors or similar) but am not there 'yet'.

If you need brighter light get higher wattage bulbs. Or better yet, install another fixture altogether and keep the wattages where they are now. Maybe one fixture on either side of the property for even lighting. But before anything, I would walk around the fov's and see how your face details are doing in the light you have when viewing video or pictures of the shot. Too bright can cause problems with face details being whited out or overyly bright. Those settings can be adjusted in the dvr channel to compensate, but then you'll compromise the daytime picture. So imo, set lighting with a human in the shot just to confirm how THEY look around the full fov, not how a pool or car might look just sitting there.

Yeah, I had to deop down to a 65W flood for better face shots. Even that is too bright for the VCM 24 VFs. I was at 90 W; forget it, way too bright.