cctvfan

Metal connector for flexible conduit

For flexible conduits (such as Carlon Liquid Tight) that lead into camera housings, we currently use PVC connectors (either straight-thru or angled, also by Carlon).

Trying to look for metal connectors (that still work with the Carlon flexis). What brands would you recommend and where to buy? Also is it true there are "compression type" connectors and if so do we need special compression tools (analogous to BNC compression).

Thx

VST_Man, flex conduit is working fine, and that's why I want to keep them. It's only the CONNECTOR which interfaces the flexi conduit and the camera housing that I want to replace PVC with metal.

And the reason for doing this is based on my observation that almost all professional outdoor jobs (except mine which is only semi-pro) use metal connectors.

Actually, a professional job would use Cable Management Housing ...

Anyway, it is more important for a CCTV professional to set up the camera properly, than worry about what conduit is used ..

OK Rory, since conduit is the last thing to worry even for pros like you (really impressed by your screenshots), I'll shift my focus back to other things then...

Im not saying dont make it neat, but no point in having the pretiest housing in the neighborhood if the camera isnt set up properly ..

Remember the criminals can always just use a paint gun to disable the camera ... so basically stick to the fastest way to install the housing, and spend more time on the camera adjustments, and DVR set up ..

I hear your message well:) Neat job is important of course, as you've always demonstrated in other threads. I guess your key point is, issues such as whether entry connectors should be PVC or metal is relatively less significant than the others on your list.

pvc over metal is better in most situations where the conduit CANNOT be damaged or cut...why? Electrical noise, grounding issues, signal crosstalk, and lighting strikes, are reduced. ie. many of my installs are mini storage companies which all of the building to date are metal. Metal conducts, period. If that building get hit by lighting it will carry over to the conduit/camera system, not to mention the ground loop issues, signal interferance, ect. just my opinion based on basic electricity. I use metal conduit only when it is obvious that it will not have to be protected.

and lets face it, if someone is going to cut or damage........they usually bring the right tool for the job anyway....

Well, how about just taking a big old rock and throw it at the camera>? I have seen also where people would take a pipe or stick and hit the camera the other way.

Its why i like vandal domes so much, you can mount them anywhere, wall mount especially, and peeps just cant move the housing that easy, plus no wire issues. Generally have to deal with less of a picture quality compared to a box camera, but then what use is a box camera if someone can just knock it with their pinky ..

I got a Sanyo Dome to do tomorrow, but the easiest dome ive installed so far has been the WizKid's WZ46.

If you're on a budget though, the cheap domes arent that great, gotta spend alot of cash to get a decent one. And why i like the Extreme cameras so much, no need to worry about housings at all. 4 years on the beach side the EX82's still going strong