rory

Best Network Switch

okay dudes whats the best network switch brands out there, looking for a 16 channel and some 4 or 5 channels .. Cost not an issue, internal network only.

thanks

Rory

they can work, but we have found the Edimax units to be very reliable and withstand power issues, etc. Easy to update the firmware etc. I must say they have been the best we have used

Hi Rory:

The GarrettCom managed switch (see previous post in this section) is smarter than your average switch because it minimizes bandwidth consumption - very important with larger CCTV systems.

The switch requires management software running on a server somewhere or a level 3 switch to handle the multicast routings.

They are modular design, with temp ratings up to 75 Celcius. Rack mount or DIN rail mount.

Can combine copper 10/100 Mbps with fibre and make redundant loops. Supports gigabit fibre.

Some are suitable for telco applications (-48 Vdc, NEBS).

Prices likely to be lower than you'd expect - but the fibre components are expensive. California based.

http://www.garrettcom.com

Regards:

Dave

Thanks guys, wont be using any fiber in this job, just need enough bandwidth for a local network, main switch needs to handle at least 1 connection with 32 cameras at 1-1.5mbps each.

A 10/100 should do it right? Eventually there may be 1 or 2 users that may need to view it over the internet, but for now its internal until I find out more.

I figure once its on its own internal network, then if people need to connect to it over the internet, do they connect to that local network also, or just seperate the NVR/DVR on its own connection to the internet?

This is all just info I need to take to the client, until I figure out what it is they want to do. As yah can see im lacking in the large network area ...

Thanks.

Rory

Please elaborate.

We have Edimax equipment that has maintained steady uptime ranging from 1-2 years in the field with absolutely no interruption of service. IMO D-Link is designed for home users to share DSL or cable so that their kids can play Halo online. Any router that ships from the factory with default "gaming" ports configured is not something I would want to use for a professional commercial installation. (unless the Security Guards wish to play games).

scottj

D-Link and Linksys aren't intended for large scale network use. They are consumer products for the consumer market.

Linksys is owned by Cisco and there is a little bit of overlap between them. But the pro networking guys feel the same way you feel about Cops-USA. They offer some gear for home folks but you wouldn't use them on one of your jobs. They may have a few good bits of gear that might be pro level but that doesn't make the line pro level.

In a last year i've installed about 15-20 misc. Edimax devices - 8/16/24/32 port switches, routers and wireless routers. more than half of those devices had to be replaced within first 6 months.

Switches just stopped to work and had to be rebooted, routers all of the sunned stopped routing, different ports just stopped working and than started again without any understandable reason...

I have mainly used Cisco on larger jobs, I have never had a problem with them at all, excepting needing technical support in a hurry.

I only have a DLINK router at home, but it has served me very well indeed but I would have to agree with Thomas that the DLINK is good but for home use only.

I find Cisco very easy to use and most of their equipment follows the same pattern.