flgator

Record IP Cameras from a differnt network

I need to record up to 8 IP cameras - however I do not want to put the DVR out side (this is for a sercurity gate in a large homeowners association) - this will be in the Texas summer heat - the cameras, switch amd router will be located outside at the gate on a seperate dsl (Uverse) circuit from the the internet connection that I have in my house - what DVR/ NVR is recommended to accomplish this

Thanks

MCL

DSL bandwidth in the US is almost universally poor.

It's unlikely your DSL connection will have enough upstream speed, and integrity, to allow you to record 8 cameras at anywhere near a decent resolution and framerate.

Supposing you are one of the lucky few with a usable DSL connection, then all you really need is whatever NVR platform you prefer. You'll setup port-forwarding rules on the router (or, even easier, setup a point to point VPN) so that the NVR can access the cameras. But after that, there are not many technological differences between recording across a LAN, or a WAN. It's all just a matter of getting the packets from point A to point B.

What are the specs of the DSL line that is serving the cameras, particularly the upstream bandwidth speed, and any info about packet loss or latency?

Thanks - actually I have uverse internet at both locations

download speed is 18 Mbps and upload is 5 Mbps

can you recommend a NVR/ DVR

Thanks

MCL

Thanks - actually I have uverse internet at both locations

download speed is 18 Mbps and upload is 5 Mbps

can you recommend a NVR/ DVR

Thanks

MCL

you did not specify if you have IP camera ( if u do what brandt ? )

then you can get lots of suggestions and/or opinions about VMS (video management software)

Eight cameras is going to take a lot of bandwidth, especially if they're megapixel. The upstream may be enough to pipe it all through (assuming you keep them all well under 1Mbps), but if you have bandwidth caps, you'll probably run up against them in short order.

You might be better off looking at something like VideoIQ, cameras that can record internally with video analytics (so you can more precisely control what does and doesn't get recorded), and save the bandwidth for just viewing them.

what DVR/ NVR is recommended to accomplish this

Thanks

hi you will need a PC ... have you bought and installed the foscams ???

like has already been said a good local network is going to be needed. your cams are wifi which is going to be a problem by itself. are you going to power the cameras from 1 location ??

i wish you had found this forum before you bought cameras. ...... foscams are standard cameras with added wifi.

if you use IP MP you will find you can get your camera count down to 2 or 3 cameras if you are just monitoring security gates.

Thanks all for the info

tomcctv - I have only purchased one foscam, as a trial so I am not stuck on that camera - I will have ethernet connectivity to each camera so do not really need to connect via wifi - if I go with IP MP cameras which one do you recommend - by only using 2 -3 cameras could I reduce by required bandwidth enough to not require a pc at the gates and only use a switch/ router and the uverse gateway.

ssmith - thanks for the info on enclosures

My thinking is that the switch/ router and Uverse gateway will not require an air conditioned enclosure (this could be a misconception) - however I quite sure that as soon as I put a PC/ DVR outside I will require AC.

Thanks all for your help so far

Michael

I will have ethernet connectivity to each camera so do not really need to connect via wifi

hi. if you are running cables then i would use analog cameras over the foscam (you in the same price range as CNB). but you would need a dvr .

what sort of area are you looking to cover. for low bandwidth and a good camera is the mobotix M12 is a very good camera for a gated area.

i will PM you a ip address of a M12. have a play zoom resolution and alarms also login at night and see how it is in low light ............ its cheaper than 8 foscams and setup.

Tom - thanks for the info on the mobotix - they look like a perfect fit for my site - I will have to use two of them as we have an entry and an exit gate

Regards

Michael

Tom - thanks for the info on the mobotix - they look like a perfect fit for my site - I will have to use two of them as we have an entry and an exit gate

Regards

Michael

did you see the quality of both the image and audio (its also 2 way audio) ideal cameras for your needs. Take a look at night time ............... you can switch on IR from push switch on left of software.

189730_1.jpg

That is one ugly camera LOL!

Wait until you hear the price...

Yes, but unfortunately, local recording of some type is going to be necessary, unless he's planning on getting a dedicated Metro Ethernet connection, which has a truly terrifying price!

That is one ugly camera LOL!

Wait until you hear the price...

two cameras - 1 microphone - 1 speaker - LED lights - PIR sensor built in recording all in one is not going too look as ugly as if you mounted everything seperate.

and as far as price 8 x foscams = mobotix

189813_1.gif