Sign in to follow this  
excableguy

Door Peephole camera install

Aww man, I've wanted to do one of these for a while now! Never got into it because routing the wires at the back of the door would look like a mess (the way I am envisioning it at least). You have to run the wire down to the corner of the door on its inside surface, then to DVR?

hi. i would look at doorframe cameras. much better than installing into doors.

as soon as you open the door to anyone the camera becomes useless ...... if you have a nice hot day and only use your screen door again your door cameras sees nothing.

much easier to install a camera into a door frame than door.

What type of door are you installing in? If you have the ability to add 'decorative' trim, a coat rack, or something on the inside then route out a passage way to the doors edge. Where that ends I would drill into the door, and bore a hole going towards the frame. The problem is jumping from the door to the frame or the door frame trim. I always have concerns over wires exposed to movement, or getting pinched. Depending on where you go after that, you would want to minimize the risk to the wires.

I cut a large hole in the back of a Junction box, after installing the camera in the door, (you'll have to make the hole in the door about 22mm) I placed the JB over the rear of the camera and screwed to the door. In there I placed a balun and on the side of the box closest to the hinges edge I made a small hole and ran cat5 cable to the hinged edge of the door made a small loop and used telephone staples to secure the cat5.In this instance, I used stranded cat5 because the cable had a LOT of corners to traverse. I also used the cat5 to run the power since I wanted to keep it neat, but I don't like doing that normally. Then finally I placed the lid of the JB back and nobody ever asks what it is.

Incidentally, those cameras aren't all that wonderful and considering their purpose they aren't that sensitive to low light conditions.