stephanovich

Condensation build up/help or tips please

Hi...I have a 940nm sony bullet camera which appears to get a build up of what I think must be condensation on the inner side of the glass in front of the lens...this obviously causes the view to become distorted and blurred...aside from sending the camera back does anybody know if there is anything I can do to compensate or eradicate this ?

I`ve already sent one of these cameras back because of a broken internal wire and the current camera is the replacement...it`s very frustrating...thanks.

Hi...I have a 940nm sony bullet camera which appears to get a build up of what I think must be condensation on the inner side of the glass in front of the lens...this obviously causes the view to become distorted and blurred...aside from sending the camera back does anybody know if there is anything I can do to compensate or eradicate this ?

I`ve already sent one of these cameras back because of a broken internal wire and the current camera is the replacement...it`s very frustrating...thanks.

hi. another to send back............... if your getting Condensation on the inside it has a seal problem lens cover or cable input. or the camera is not for outdoor use.

Thanks tomcctv for the reply...

As I feared,I`ll be sending the ******* thing back...I thought it would be so but just didn`t want to face up to it !!!

However this time I`ll be asking for a refund...it is as you pointed out with the seal not up to the job as it`s supposed to be weather proof and operate at -10 up to 50 degrees...ah well...excuse me while I just go outside to find a wall I can bang my head on

A couple thoughts, if you run into it again and get sick of sending it back...

One, bring it inside, open it up in the driest area you can find, and give it a good clearing out with a blow dryer set on low. Scrounge a silica gel desiccant pack, like the kind that comes with many electronics, and find somewhere to fit it inside the camera body. Then when re-assembling the camera, put some Vaseline or similar petroleum jelly on all the seals and gaskets to help them maintain a solid seal and prevent them from drying out.

Thanks soundy...I have just spoken to the guy who dealt with my first camera complaint,(which included moisture build up)...he said he`d placed a silicon bag inside the camera but I think the other advice you`ve given will be well worth a try...the night vision of the camera otherwise is good...so far,since I first acquired cctv,I`ve had nothing but frustration with equipment...the first DVR I had needed to go back due to a fault,then a camera that was faulty...I`ve learned a great deal though,mainly not to trust salesmen

A couple thoughts, if you run into it again and get sick of sending it back...

One, bring it inside, open it up in the driest area you can find, and give it a good clearing out with a blow dryer set on low. Scrounge a silica gel desiccant pack, like the kind that comes with many electronics, and find somewhere to fit it inside the camera body. Then when re-assembling the camera, put some Vaseline or similar petroleum jelly on all the seals and gaskets to help them maintain a solid seal and prevent them from drying out.

I have opened cameras and dried them out then use PTFE tape on the thread when screwing the cap back on.

I also cover the front glass and spray around joins with ignition sealer bought from a car accessories outlet.

It forms a clear film and seeks and seals and potential areas of water ingress.

I have opened cameras and dried them out then use PTFE tape on the thread when screwing the cap back on.

I also cover the front glass and spray around joins with ignition sealer bought from a car accessories outlet.

It forms a clear film and seeks and seals and potential areas of water ingress.

I used the camera last night with some vaseline around the seal and thread...it was a lot better with no "misting" up until aound 3am...which is 3 hours more than the previous night so there was a little success but not enough...I`ve a feeling there`s a problem with the inside ring/seal (separating the leds from the lens)

I`ll give it another go tonight and try the method suggested by Numb-nuts...(was there a particular brand or are they all of a similar make-up ? )

I`ve already spoken to the relevant company and they`re expecting the thing back for a refund but as it has a good view and clarity of image when it isn`t misted-up I`m gonna be optimistic and try to sort this out with a little tinkering...

I used the camera last night with some vaseline around the seal and thread...it was a lot better with no "misting" up until aound 3am...which is 3 hours more than the previous night so there was a little success but not enough

hi. the time change in your camera getting condensation can change from hours to weeks. it`s down to the weather outside ..... if it is warm then you will not get condensation. as the nights start to get warmer you might not see it happen till you next get a cold night.

ignition sealer is a chemical and can change the colour of plastics and as you are looking at the lens area i would not try that.

I have a 940nm sony bullet camera

can you list the camera.

[quote="tomcctv

hi. the time change in your camera getting condensation can change from hours to weeks. it`s down to the weather outside ..... if it is warm then you will not get condensation. as the nights start to get warmer you might not see it happen till you next get a cold night.

ignition sealer is a chemical and can change the colour of plastics and as you are looking at the lens area i would not try that.

I have a 940nm sony bullet camera

can you list the camera.

Yup...I have to say it`s been chilly but certainly not been freezing...I may see if I can get another front glass/lens cover as I feel the inner ring seal is faulty so it`s not going to matter how I seal the outer threads with vaseline or ptfe as I don`t think that is the problem...I`m no cctv professional though.

the camera is 940nm sony super had ccd 420tvl...I`m realising that a lot of the online stuff are not much more than "toys"...the guys with the pro stuff don`t need to advertise I suppose

A camera shouldn't be such high maintenance when it's new. It's not the only camera that will have a great picture, and other cameras can provide that during all kinds of weather without a problem. What you have there are cameras that flat out suck. Get a refund while you can and get different cameras from a different source. Then install them, come down off the ladder, and enjoy not needing to tinker with them. Even if you like tinkering, it should not need to be done with new cameras that you payed money for. I suggest again- get rid of them and get your money back while you can. Good luck.

A camera shouldn't be such high maintenance when it's new. It's not the only camera that will have a great picture, and other cameras can provide that during all kinds of weather without a problem. What you have there are cameras that flat out suck. Get a refund while you can and get different cameras from a different source. Then install them, come down off the ladder, and enjoy not needing to tinker with them. Even if you like tinkering, it should not need to be done with new cameras that you payed money for. I suggest again- get rid of them and get your money back while you can. Good luck.

Well there`s a truth I can`t deny any longer... I stuck it out for a while this evening (it`s midnight now) so just a couple hours darkness and to be honest I`ve had enough...I`ve read about and seen some of the images from cameras from China/Hong Kong and it just about sums up this heap of ****...except this is from the south west U.K and the only thing it`s good for is

.....a week or so ago,I spoke with a surveillance expert and the conversation came back to the old adage...you get what you pay for...

Thanks for all the input folks

I used the camera last night with some vaseline around the seal and thread...it was a lot better with no "misting" up until aound 3am...which is 3 hours more than the previous night so there was a little success but not enough...I`ve a feeling there`s a problem with the inside ring/seal (separating the leds from the lens)

I`ll give it another go tonight and try the method suggested by Numb-nuts...(was there a particular brand or are they all of a similar make-up ? )

Keep in mind that even a 100% perfectly sealed camera can fog up *if you've trapped the moist air inside*. That's why it's critical to open it in a dry location and dry it out well, then keep it in a dry location when you reassemble it... and ideally, have a desiccant pack inside to absorb any remaining stray moisture.