Integraoligist

UTP or STP CAT6 cable for 2mp setup

Hey all,

to continue with my other post about what cameras to get for a new well lit sandwich shop... using the Dahua 2mp cameras... all forwarding into a Gigabit switch, which type of CAT6 cabling should we go with?

UTP or STP?

As far as interference I have a couple of commercial refrigerators and the place is lined with drop-in florescent lighting (drop ceiling).

Thoughts?

Have you already bought your cable? If not, just go with cat5e UTP. That will be just fine. Dont get the cheap copper clad cable though. Get the cable with solid copper conductors to be safe.

No I have not gotten any cable yet.

There really is not price difference in the cables so my choices are

Per 50' roll

Cat5e

Cat6 UTP +$1.20

Cat6A STP +$7.50

In my last shop there were always network issues... and in the 5 years could never figure it out. Changed out all the PCs, the cables, the switches... everything... and still issues. Only thing we could figure was that there must have been interference from the lighting/fridges/electrical lines running all over the place. However this shop will only have 1/4 of the fridges/lights/electrical.

This shop I want perfect from the start.

Edited by Guest

Unless you have the cable wrapped around the armature of the refrigerator and running across a row of florescent lights parallel and the Ballasts are the old school the cat5e will never hear any of those items. Heck it's hard enough to hear tone on a cat5 cable.

If you had network trouble in the past it was either bad terminations or switch collisions.

If you test each segment of cable with a decent tester you will never have trouble.

There is only one place I ever had to use shielded cable for networking. That was an Aluminum recycling plant that had 200hp AC motors on the aluminum shredders.

Every time a big load hit those motors the conduit would shake from the magnetic fields.

The 6a STP is not necessary as your camera will not need that much bandwidth. We always go with cat6 mainly because that is what we usually install for data. You can easily run 1000 on it. Like the others said buy solid copper UL rated.

The 6a STP is not necessary as your camera will not need that much bandwidth. We always go with cat6 mainly because that is what we usually install for data. You can easily run 1000 on it. Like the others said buy solid copper UL rated.

Fact is, Cat5e is rated for and perfectly suitable to gigabit ethernet... and at this point in time, there simply are no commercial CCTV cameras that even have gigabit ports on them (except MAYBE the top-end Avigilon Pro cams). Worrying about GbE to the cameras is pointless when the cameras themselves won't connect at over 100Mbit

Fact is, Cat5e is rated for and perfectly suitable to gigabit ethernet... and at this point in time, there simply are no commercial CCTV cameras that even have gigabit ports on them (except MAYBE the top-end Avigilon Pro cams). Worrying about GbE to the cameras is pointless when the cameras themselves won't connect at over 100Mbit
Even the 29 MP Avigilon cam is still 100Mb connection, max throughput is 32.9Mbps. Which certainly is a lot, and you'd better have a beefy infrastructure to support very many of those!