protecvideo

PTZ / Zoomed in shots?

Hey guys,

I am trying to cover two entrance gates in an apartment building. The main office is about 200ft from one gate entrance and about 1000 ft from the farthest one. I will be mounting the cameras on the roof of the building which has a straight shot to both of these gates.

I need to have a close view ( 25ft wide) of a gate that is approx 1000ft away. Any recommendations or (specific model number) of PTZ cameras that can get a close enough shot without major pixilization? I heard esprit cameras by Pelco are supposed to be pretty good but have never used them. Or any other suggestion sgreatly appreciated.

Other info:

Low lighting around gate area.

Need to have close enough view to describe vehicle type.

Camera location height approx 20ft in air

Trying to stay within $2000 to spend per camera and parts

Thanks for the help

Although I love PTZs, if the cameras don't need to move as they are viewing the entrances, wouldn't a box camera with a high power zoom lense work better?

(I honestly don't know).

Can a PTZ zoom 1000' away? I dont think ... at least not 18X which zooms around 100'-150', cant see a 25X doing much more. Probably need a 50-750mm varifocal lens, they can cost quite a bit also.

You need light, or it can pixelize, even BW mode, if its too dark it wont see anything. Look at adding light, or even Infared if they want it more discreet.

When you say vehicle details, hopefully that doesnt mean licence plate?

Rory

Kalatel CyberDomes....work great.

If I get a chance tonight, I will put my house back online (been adding a automation server for 2 weeks now) so you can play around with my PTZ's. I have (6) CyberDomes arouind my house, (3) are the Day/Night with no illuminators and the view is very good. If you pan camera 8 to the right far enough and zoom in about 70 feet, you might be able to catch my neighbors wife changing into her pajamas...usually about 9 pm CST.

scottj

the idea Rory is to NOT get sued........Although I think she likes being looked at. Ever since her dork of a husband bought her a new set of guns.

The girlfriend hates it, made me get custom wood blinds made for my bay window in the kitchen so I cant look over there anymore..she just doesn't know about the PTZ yet.

Thanks for the info. Now I went to the apartments to get some different spces and I ended up meeting with the main gut (owner) and he wants the cameras directly over the gates. I told him that we'll have to go underground cabling and conduit and it would get pretty expensive.He basically stated figure out a way to do, give me a bid, and I'll sign whatever.

I'm getting a company to go out there tomorrow for an estimate for some under ground conduit and wiring. Who knows what that will cost though.

I like those cameras Rory had up using Extreme CCTV so I might check that out. Any other suggestions are welcome.

scott i would love to have a play if thats possible.

pm me if you allow people to have a look (im in the trade btw)

I like those cameras Rory had up using Extreme CCTV so I might check that out. Any other suggestions are welcome.
I just posted this in the License Plate thread:

The Panasonic Model WV-CL924 not only has a Color to B/W switchover circuit, but includes smear reduction technology that will reduce the vertical streaks caused by vehicle headlights and license plate lights. The WV-CL924 is well matched to Extreme's IR illuminator Model Super LED, producing IR in the 850 nm range.

Don't forget the Aspherical lens with cameras of this type of sensitivity.

A lower cost solution can also be the Panasonic Model .WV-CP484 coupled with an Aspherical Lens (about f/0.75 or f/1.0)

The Extreme CCTV REG is also an excellent choice and includes data capture of vehicle tags