thekuai

Help with bandwidth/framerate issues please :)

First the setup:

Cam1: panasonic wv-nw502s

H264 1280x720 30 fps compression max 4096kbps for best framerate priority

Cam2: vivotek fd8362e

H264 1920x1080 30 fps compression: 30 (1-51)

Cam3 &4: axis p3346

H264 1920x1080 30 fps compression 10 (1-100)

Cam5 + 6: analog. 5 is view only. 6 is view and motion record

Server:

Amd phenom II x4 945 @ 3.5 ghz

4GB DDR2 @ 800mhz

Win 7 x86 (32 bit)

Hdd1: seagate barracuda 2tb for cams 1-3

Hdd2: wd green 1tb for cams 4,6

Vms: geovision 8.54 with gv800 capture card.

Network:

4 ip cameras are connected to a NetGear PROSAFE® 16-PORT 10/100 Desktop Switch with 8-PORT POE FS116P. Both lan ports on server are also connected this switch and are bridged. The switch is connected to an actiontec wireless router. All ip net traffic routes through one lan port on server even though the connection is bridged. Traffic is 20mbps as observed through task manager.

I have video clipsize set to 5 min in GV. Cams 3 & 4 are actually 5 min long. Cams 1&2 are less and avg about 4:40 long. This is because the video freezes briefly occassionally as seen in the live view. Increasing the compression on cams 3&4 seems to help with the skipping on 1+2.

Cpu load does not exceed 60% during the day and temps are in the low 40s

Well for one thing it's Geovision and it will eat up any processor.

2nd,

Why do you need 30fps?

15fps will do almost anything except car tags at high speed.

I guess i dont really need 30fps...i just like how smooth it looks on live view. If i lowered it to 15 do you think it will solve my issues? I actually set the nw502s to min. 1/15 sec shutterspeed to gather enough light for usable footage at night. isnt this the same as 15fps?

No it's not. 15fps is about 1/2 the bandwith of 30fps and still pretty fluent. Most of the systems I maintain are on 5fps.

No it's not fluent but there is no reason for it to be.

I guess i dont really need 30fps...i just like how smooth it looks on live view.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/security/demos/PSS-recording-rates.html

If i lowered it to 15 do you think it will solve my issues?

From the description, it sounds like network saturation may be part of the problem. Sure doesn't hurt to try lowering the FPS.

I actually set the nw502s to min. 1/15 sec shutterspeed to gather enough light for usable footage at night. isnt this the same as 15fps?

No. Shutter speed defines how long the sensor collects light for at one time. Framerate is how many individual images the camera samples per second. There is no direct connection between the two.

I do not go over 20mbit how could that be saturatinghe network. Its nowhere close to 100mbit?

I would check the figure again with a reliable network monitoring application. 20 mbit/s seems very low for all those cameras, especially at 30 fps. And the issue definitely appears to be network saturation or a switching problem. Is it possible/feasible to upgrade to gigabit ethernet?

Im checking it using the resource monitor under the task manager in windows 7. It is not feasible because this is a home system and i thought the 16 port netgear with 8 port poe was pricey i cant imagine how much one with a gbe uplink would cost? Assuming that the resource monitor is accurate and i am averaging 20mbit, that should not over saturate the network correct? Only the cameras, the server and the router is connected to the netgear poe switch. The other lan port on the server is connected to the switch as well but hardly any traffic flows on it. The two lan connections are bridged under win7

I do not have a problem with that drive because there are only 2 cams rec on it. An axis p3346 with cont. recording @ 20fps and an analog vcm-24vf on motion record only (20fps as well).

I do not have a problem with that drive because there are only 2 cams rec on it. An axis p3346 with cont. recording @ 20fps and an analog vcm-24vf on motion record only (20fps as well).

green drives are useless for cctv (its even listed on gv site) standard and eco drives together will give you problems.

It is not feasible because this is a home system and i thought the 16 port netgear with 8 port poe was pricey i cant imagine how much one with a gbe uplink would cost?

GbE vs 10/100 really isn't that big a cost difference anymore - most of the added cost is the PoE itself. The Cisco switches we use - eight 10/100 PoE and two GbE combo ports - retail right around $300.